Author Topic: One for Simato  (Read 1925 times)

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
One for Simato
« on: March 06, 2017, 14:02:49 »
 . . . who intends to do some winter mountainering in Scotland later this month. Yesterday at one of my favourite paces, shooting with focal lengths from 18mm to 500.

But the snow cometh, and the snow goeth away again.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: One for Simato
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 14:30:16 »
You are the master of exposure - From shadow to snow :) #3 with the foreground,,, best one for me
Erik Lund

Andrew

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 14:33:26 »
Beautiful Scotland and very nice pix!
Andrew Iwanowski

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 15:03:14 »
You are the master of exposure - From shadow to snow :) #3 with the foreground,,, best one for me

+1
Carl

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 17:26:07 »

Thanks, Erik, for that generous comment. I try hard with exposure because "correct" exposure is the key to good image quality. One thing has not changed since the days of film - when shooting scenes with high dynamic range, you need to be able to judge accurately which of the darkest tones can be allowed to go 100% black and/or how much of the brightest tones can be allowed to burn out, without damaging the image. Sometimes you can let the darkest shadows or the brightest highlights "go" to achieve the best compromise; sometimes both, sometimes neither - then you are in a fix.

Thank you also, Andrew and CS for you kind posts.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 18:04:26 »
Very much obliged, thank you!
I've been on top of all those summits :)
I think my favourite is the close-up of Ben Lawers.

I'll be off to the West Highlands Thursday night, onto Knoydart on Friday. The forecast is changing nearly every hour, at the moment it looks pretty bad and I am preparing for the worst.
For those interested, this is where I am going, seen from the Isle of Skye across the Sound of Sleat:

http://www.blaven.com/webcamarchive.aspx?webcam=01
Simone Tomasi

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 19:07:14 »
Have a nice trip and stay safe!
Erik Lund

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 20:53:09 »
I'll be off to the West Highlands Thursday night, onto Knoydart on Friday. The forecast is changing nearly every hour, at the moment it looks pretty bad and I am preparing for the worst.
For those interested, this is where I am going, seen from the Isle of Skye across the Sound of Sleat:

- here is another, even more remote part of Knoydart - the north-east face of the most famous of Knoydart's mountains - Ladhar Bheinn, pronounced "Larven". This was shot a long time ago, when the world was young, using Pentax 67 and Fuji Provia (film!)

Thomas G

• NG Member
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 20:54:41 »
That looks like a great opportunity. (My wife and I are a little bit jealous).

Safe travels and always good light!
-/-/-

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 21:05:33 »
Thanks, Erik, for that generous comment. I try hard with exposure because "correct" exposure is the key to good image quality. One thing has not changed since the days of film - when shooting scenes with high dynamic range, you need to be able to judge accurately which of the darkest tones can be allowed to go 100% black and/or how much of the brightest tones can be allowed to burn out, without damaging the image. Sometimes you can let the darkest shadows or the brightest highlights "go" to achieve the best compromise; sometimes both, sometimes neither - then you are in a fix.

Words of a sage with exemplary examples.  Easy to understand, hard to achieve but well worth trying.  Thank you, Dave, for the advice.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 21:24:18 »
- here is another, even more remote part of Knoydart - the north-east face of the most famous of Knoydart's mountains - Ladhar Bheinn, pronounced "Larven". This was shot a long time ago, when the world was young, using Pentax 7 and Fuji Provia (film!)

I bet this view will be quite different when I am there. For starters, I will be looking from the top; if I am lucky there will be snow and sunshine. More likely, dreary greyness. On Friday we'll be walking on the same beaches that Simone, Bez and Frank visited with me last May.
Our mountain targets are Ladhar Bheinn on Saturday, Meall Bhuidhe and Luinne Bheinn on Sunday.
For the latter we'll ask a boat to take us from Inverie to Camusrory.
Simone Tomasi

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 23:30:15 »
I bet this view will be quite different when I am there. For starters, I will be looking from the top; if I am lucky there will be snow and sunshine. More likely, dreary greyness. On Friday we'll be walking on the same beaches that Simone, Bez and Frank visited with me last May.
Our mountain targets are Ladhar Bheinn on Saturday, Meall Bhuidhe and Luinne Bheinn on Sunday.
For the latter we'll ask a boat to take us from Inverie to Camusrory.

I hope you have great weekend and make those summits in fine weather; the forecast is not good, however. On the other hand, it's wonderful just to be in such a place as Knoydart, and there are other pleasures than summiting mountains.

* Reading this through, I noticed I had typed "the forecast is not god". This is also true.   ;D

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 00:11:21 »
The only downside of this recurring trip is that the rest of the company walks fast and has no interest in photography, so there is little time for exploring the photographic opportunities.
On the other hand they are tough walkers who don't give up even in the most hideous weather.
Simone Tomasi

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 13:52:52 »
Sounds like two downsides  :)
Anthony Macaulay

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 00:19:42 »
Thanks to Anthony, Thomas, Akira and all the others who have posted here, and good luck to  Simone this coming weekend.