Author Topic: "new" 55 f1.2  (Read 16054 times)

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: "new" 55 f1.2
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2017, 01:56:16 »
Very nice pictures of the Solitaire.  But I am somewhat disappointed about the bokeh which looks very unresty to me.
The 55/1.2 does not render backgrounds with the smoothness of the 58/1.2 Noct, it is very "textured". It can be used to good effect but care must be taken when choosing the background. The foreground bokeh on the other hand is very smooth...

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2017, 02:08:05 »
bubbles  :o :o :o

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2017, 04:31:50 »
Lubricants leaking onto the aperture blades will cause the noted behaviour. Some lens designs are particularly prone to getting this problem, with the 55/2.8 Micro as the most infamous example. Also the AF 20/2.8 saw a good deal of these issues.
Thanks for commenting, I'll certainly report how things go after cleaning the aperture blades

Since the stop down activation is the assumed to be the same mechanism used by both the DOF preview button and the camera shutter firing cycle, you should be able to reproduce and observe the problem by watching the lens front and firing the shutter...or pushing the DOF preview button... numerous times.  I had a AiS 135/2 that had an intermittent aperture closing issue, but the technician who fixed it didn't say what he did to fix it.  Is it possible that the coil spring gets tired and weakened?

Thanks for the suggestion, setting the lens to F16 should make it easy to observe

But a completely different scene so perhaps not a good way to evaluate the problem?
Also a failing flash could vary its exposure as well, though the DOF button trick seems to lean towards a camera/lens error.

Why not try to recreate this under a more controlled setting? Camera on a tripod, constant light source, take lots of pictures and watch for varying exposure.
Charlie,

I did try the sunny 16 rule, (1/125 f/16 ISO 100)and the behavior became much more easier to obtain, like 1 every 2 shots,  the example  studio shots were done at f5.6 and the problem happened twice in a series of perhaps 20 shots.
In my experience when a flash fails, one gets an underexposed image, not over exposed.
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Peter Forsell

• NG Member
  • A Cunning Linguist
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2017, 10:18:45 »
Great lens Armando. I hope you get all the small annoyances fixed soon.

One question about the first picture. I see there is a landline telephone. Is it still in use?

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2017, 03:19:24 »

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2017, 04:40:34 »
Great lens Armando. I hope you get all the small annoyances fixed soon.

One question about the first picture. I see there is a landline telephone. Is it still in use?
yes , it is actually a digital phone connected yo the network
Armando Morales

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2017, 04:41:19 »
http://richardhaw.com/2017/03/15/repair-nikkor-s-c-55mm-f1-2/
The Nikkor-S.C 55/1.2  teardown :o :o :o

Thank You Richard

This is very helpful

ok, today activity: Disassembled the lens ... and cleaned it , the offending grease was outside the optical assembly, also took the time to clean the focus helicoids.

Tested with a few F16 shots and it seems to work correctly

Armando Morales

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2017, 16:25:35 »
an image at 1.2

While I was doing this I checked the 50 f1.8 E series, and it also has a laggy aperture mechanism , more than what it was on the 55 f1.2

Armando Morales

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2017, 16:53:56 »
Armando:

I like the colors and feel of this image.  Dreamy.

Randy

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2017, 22:22:37 »
Very delicate. I like the rendering as well

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2017, 09:44:58 »
Just to be sure; Have a look (compare with other camera) at the stop down aperture leaver of the camera, these can also be bent out of shape by inserting a lens slightly askew, I have seen several Df cameras with this damage,,,
Erik Lund

brent_e

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2017, 11:45:16 »
lovely image, Armando! 

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2017, 16:03:06 »
Delicate image, Armando.

Just to be sure; Have a look (compare with other camera) at the stop down aperture leaver of the camera, these can also be bent out of shape by inserting a lens slightly askew, I have seen several Df cameras with this damage,,,
Ah, it´s OT here, but I noticed the same with my Df. With some lenses stopping down gives over-exposure. The lever seems to be bent a little, and moving it usually solves the problem.  Is that a job for the Nikon Service center?

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2017, 19:04:02 »
Erik, I'll check it out, thanks for the hint
Armando Morales

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2017, 19:19:25 »
It's easy enough to check the lens by activating the Aperture Stop-down Lever on the lens bayonet with your finger. If the aperture is free and active then it's something other than the lens. The most obvious as noted above is the Aperture Coupling Lever in the body.

Dave Hartman

[I suppose if the aperture stop-down lever in the lens is bent that might cause binding but with two lenses sluggish it sounds like the body. I've never seen this myself: touch silicon. This all assumes the aperture blades aren't lube contaminated which unfortunately I have seen.]
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!