Author Topic: landscape West coast  (Read 3719 times)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
landscape West coast
« on: December 11, 2016, 12:19:54 »
It's not often I do landscapes - and this time of the year - there isn't much left on the West Coast now that the Flower season is over - but if there is a will - there is a way.

The train is tricky - it's 4km long so only in my dreams can one shoot the whole thing. It carries iron ore and is called the Sishen-Saldanaha line. It is known as the longest working train in the world (not the longest) So this is just a middle piece shot from a bridge (just posted for interest's sake
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
Re: landscape West coast
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 19:31:22 »
While the first 2 are really nice, i like the third one best of the bunch.

It sure shows the length of the train without showing the entire train. It also gives a very good feeling of repetition in the repeating train cars.

It reminds me somehow of a line in the Dire Straits song 'Telegraph road': "Then came the mines, then came the ore".
Hans Cremers

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 19:44:09 »
The first one is simply amazing.  But a 4km-long train?  That's simply unbelievable!  At first, I didn't understand what you were talking about!  Thanks for sharing the images and story!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 19:47:49 »
Andrea and I observed trains more than 5 km long crossing the SW US deserts. Using interlinked locomotives, up to 6 in front and 4 in the rear. The rumbling noise they made was spectacular.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 20:03:31 »
thank you all for commenting.
The Sishen-Saldana line is (I understand) privately owned and was built for carrying iron ore from Sishen and surrounding areas. Incidentally, my family farm was the main farm where the mine was built a decade or 2 ago. Anglo American held the prospecting rights on the farm since something like 1911. Eventually they purchased the farm and bought the mineral rights and the mine was built, along with the railway line and the rest is history. The area produces a very high grade or iron ore, but the bottom fell a bit out of the bucket since China had a hick up importing the huge amount of the iron ore. I don't recall all the details. Obviously I feel a bit "attached" to the whole thing so for me it is interesting.

it is understandably difficult to show the length of the train - I have no clue what the best way would be to capture it properly. It has 8 locomotives. I also like the sound of the train :)

"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 23:48:32 »
it is understandably difficult to show the length of the train - I have no clue what the best way would be to capture it properly. It has 8 locomotives. I also like the sound of the train :)

Thanks for the details, Elsa.  Maybe it's time to investigate the drone?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 06:11:49 »
Akira  - that ain't happening. I assume the flying rules and restrictions over the globe is also fairly tight - or getting tight, as here in SA.
Thats thing is a costly thing. But I have to admit I have seen some really good stuff.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 09:51:56 »
Very nice images! the first ones have a dreamy rendering.

Re train: I would if at all possible find the tightest curve and shoot it with a wide angle up close to the wagons from inside of the bend
Erik Lund

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 10:01:55 »
Thanks Erik for commenting. Thats a good suggestion - thank you!

elsid

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 13:10:51 »
Nice pictures Elsa. I agree with Erik about the first 2.
Never measure the height of a mountain until you reach its top

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 13:42:15 »
Thank you Elsid. I wonder what a fisheye would do in a bend :)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 14:36:24 »
Yes! Even better ;) really up close,,, here I was too far away but yes here Forth Bridge 2,467 meters of train/bridge, You probably need to go to Flicker and look at the original size image to see the train ;)

_EGL3221 by Erik Gunst Lund, on Flickr
Erik Lund

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 14:58:53 »
oh ye that looks cool!! Isn't your horizon  a tad skew hahaha

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 15:22:05 »
Nice images Elsa, fantastic colors on 1 & 2

And regarding the train we do not need to tell you that  a wider lens would give a sense of a longer train , my guess is that you shot at the widest setting available at the moment
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 15:26:07 »
Thanks Armando

I unfortunately (?) had the 200-500 on the body and just did a quick stop on a bridge where I photographed from. from this vantage point I couldnt see more of the train anyway - but next time I will try and plan for a better point to shoot from. Hard if the thing is so long and gets so drawn out (unless like Erik says you shoot in a bend)