Author Topic: Desert views  (Read 5285 times)

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Desert views
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2016, 23:20:33 »
Trees in our desert include this Mesquite with the strange growth pattern, from our local Riparian Reserve, as well as a Red Gum Eucalyptus that is equally strange. The Eucalyptus is from the Boyce Thompson Arboretum is seen below, and has an interesting bark pattern as well.

Mesquite shot with CP990, and the Eucalyptus shot was D200/18-200.
Carl

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 01:36:00 »
A desert B&W showing a section of the Salt River which is normally dry unless storms cause excess water to be released from an upstream mountain Dam. Enterprising people have put damed up about a mile of the river locally then filled it with water creating an artificial lake and the Tempe River Walk.

Nikon F3HP/50mm.
Carl

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 09:34:21 »
I really love the two tree pictures Mister Big and Red gum. Wonderful colors and a grwat perspective that gives a feel for the size. IIRC both trees are onnthe list of very promising tree crops for a future sustainable agriculture
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 11:05:22 »
The Eucalyptus is from the Boyce Thompson Arboretum is seen below, and has an interesting bark pattern as well.

Bark patterns are a major identifying characteristic of eucalypts.  Bark growth in eucalypts in continuous, and in all species the outermost layer of bark dies each year.  In about half of eucalypt species the dead bark is shed, exposing the smooth living bark underneath; these are the "gums" (the habit of using "gum tree" as a colloquial term for "eucalypt" is wrong).  Some gum tree species shed their bark in big slabs, others in ribbons, others in little flakes.  In some species the new bark is pale silvery grey, in others it is at first bright red or pink weathering to grey.  Some gums shed large and small patches of bark throughout the year, so that different ages of new bark are exposed and the patches of new reddish bark and older weathered grey give the appearance of your tree.     

The other half of the species do not shed the dead bark, and the fibres just dry out. 

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 16:40:28 »
I really love the two tree pictures Mister Big and Red gum. Wonderful colors and a grwat perspective that gives a feel for the size. IIRC both trees are onnthe list of very promising tree crops for a future sustainable agriculture

There's a boatload of varieties when it comes to the Eucalyptus, but my main complaint about them is their unpredictable behavior of self pruning. it can be quite dangerous for people or property underneath the tree's umbrella when that activity happens, as sometimes the sections falling to the ground are huge.
Carl

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2016, 21:50:53 »
Arizona desert sunset from my house.
Carl

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2016, 13:33:25 »
WOW. I hate sunset photos in general, but this one is exceptional, like fluid fire!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Woodley Willie

• Monkey See, Monkey Do, Monkey Do Again...
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2016, 16:05:02 »
I am not a fan of sunset photos either, and I liked the sunset photo a lot...so why?
For me the photo is exceptional because darkness has already claimed close to half of the image, and that touch of incredible blue...So one could say that there is a tension between the sunset, the day, and darkness... like FF says, WOW.
Wonder what this does?