Author Topic: Desert views  (Read 5215 times)

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Desert views
« on: November 28, 2016, 19:09:10 »
Here you go, Elsa, a desert scene. This a is a shot of Flatiron in the Lost dutchman State Park. It's one of the Western faces of the Superstition Mountains just East of Apache Junction, Az.
Carl

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Desert views
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 19:38:10 »
Oh wow. What a dense light. What a cool scene likea scene from a western movie. Very very mooddy. Great colors. Love it.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 19:40:13 »
Ye I am looking for the horse. And Clint Eastwood.
Okey - we don't have deserts in Cape Town - so find this fascinating indeed.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 19:44:42 »
Oh wow. What a dense light. What a cool scene likea scene from a western movie. Very very mooddy. Great colors. Love it.

Thanks, Frank. BTW, I really enjoyed your organ thread, lots of great images!
Carl

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 20:09:43 »
Ye I am looking for the horse. And Clint Eastwood.
Okey - we don't have deserts in Cape Town - so find this fascinating indeed.

Well, you guys have some fascinating photo ops of your own.

There are deserts, then there are deserts, and what we have here is the Sonoran Desert variety. It has beauty, but is also hostile. Besides the severe weather that can sap the strength from folks before they know what hit them, there's rattlesnakes, many opportunities for injury that can prove fatal, and if that wasn't enough, there are people on the lookout for anyone that might find the Lost Dutchman Mine. Those folks are willing to use deadly force to deal with anyone they think is beating them to the legendary gold cache.

I forgot to list the gear for that shot. It was the D200 with an 18-200 mounted, zoomed to 20mm.
Carl

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 21:19:25 »
great image and then an even better story to go with it!
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 21:26:10 »
Do I assume the Apaches are there but I just can't see them?

---

I don't get to travel anymore. I love these places. Thanks for posting this photograph!

Dave Hartman

[ http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,4599.msg72252.html#msg72252  :P ]
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 21:35:06 »
Beautiful shot and light !

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 21:58:29 »
great image and then an even better story to go with it!

You don't have to travel far from the city to soon find yourself a long way from an urban lifestyle, with some of it primitive by today's standards. OTOH, even unfriendly plants like cactus show color when they bloom. Here's a Prickly Pear cactus in bloom, and that cactus produces a prized fruit from that blossom. This is from an early April shot of the desert in bloom. The whole place turns into a panoply of bright colors.
Carl

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 22:01:45 »
Do I assume the Apaches are there but I just can't see them?

---

I don't get to travel anymore. I love these places. Thanks for posting this photograph!

Dave Hartman

Yes, Arizona is home to the Apache Nation.
Carl

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 22:09:49 »
For a little closer look, here's a pretty young Buckhorn Cholla cactus,  AKA the Jumping Cactus. D200 with a 105mm mounted.
Carl

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 06:02:45 »
I like your photographic impressions of the Sonoran Desert.  I'm looking forward to visit that zone again soon. 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 09:30:25 »
Thanks, Frank. BTW, I really enjoyed your organ thread, lots of great images!

Thank you for your kind words. You are most welcome to contribute to this joint effort. Look how many contributed and that Airy is the most vigorous of them. Gosh. I leant so much from him.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 09:34:01 »
You don't have to travel far from the city to soon find yourself a long way from an urban lifestyle, with some of it primitive by today's standards. OTOH, even unfriendly plants like cactus show color when they bloom. Here's a Prickly Pear cactus in bloom, and that cactus produces a prized fruit from that blossom. This is from an early April shot of the desert in bloom. The whole place turns into a panoply of bright colors.

I love it that you stay away from the temptation to make the colors "pop", this subdued development adds some serious magic to the shots.

Do I see you cooking in ypur profile picture? You might shoot some of your recipees / creations for us!

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 19:02:08 »
I love it that you stay away from the temptation to make the colors "pop", this subdued development adds some serious magic to the shots.

Do I see you cooking in ypur profile picture? You might shoot some of your recipees / creations for us!

My avatar is showing me enjoying some eggplant parmigiana. While I have shot some of our recipes, most pf my attempts fall short photographically, although they taste great. The iPhone has been the tool for my attempts, and it's just as we sit down to eat. Not really a serious way to go about getting good quality images. But, make no mistake we are extremely serious about the food itself, I just suck at shooting it.
Carl