Author Topic: Nikon Cameras in the Cold  (Read 30870 times)

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Re: Nikon Cameras in the Cold
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2018, 02:38:57 »
Wow... Very interesting post and definitely keeping me away from those northern parts when such temperatures arises !!!!
Last time I went trough minus 30° was in January in Khiva in Ouzbekistan. Several other people had their film that broke because of winding motors, while my FM2n with manual advance allowed me to wind the film slowly enough. We were not clothed for such a cold and did visit the city almost running... That was before the digital era !

I'm much more a hot weather guy and have a profound respect for those like you that braves those white lands... :D

Yes, film breaking in the cold with too fast winding was a well known problem in those days, although I did not have much problems with my F4.

Credit for the link of course goes to Stefan Christmann for sharing his experiences overwintering at those very southern  ;) latitudes.
Øivind Tøien

old school snapper

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • overland travel photography
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2020, 15:46:30 »
Great review, although received zero help, info, or recommendations using photo-gear in extreme conditions for a journey done earlier this year i.e. 4000+ metres altitude in sub-zero temps averaging minus -20C (-4F).  Just for all those here in this forum, my Nikon 800 f/5.6 AIS was used (and recorded) in minus -33C (-24F) with no issues.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2020, 11:16:48 »
I've always been wondering why nobody tried the dummy batteries (EP-5B, EP-5C, ...) that come with external power sources.

Should be an easy nerdy task to build a battery pack that fits your pocket or the inside of a down jacket, with an appropriate extension cord and a  connector to the dummy battery.

Little or no stress on the battery,  I guess the freezing and thawing is not exactly good medicine for battery life.

My minimum with a digital camera has been -25°C for 3 hrs (no problem there), should operating time increase and temperature decrease in future outings, I certainly will be doing some experimenting with dummy batteries.

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2020, 12:57:04 »
The "dummy" battery is great for studio work with the camera run off the A/C mains. I'm using that all the time on a daily basis.

However, having additional cables running around when you are outdoors makes for an awkward camera handling, in particular if combined with thick winter clothing and gloves. Might work with a stationary camera, though, but hardly for hand-held shooting. The cables themselves can get stiff and perhaps brittle in the cold as well.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2020, 13:04:10 »
The "dummy" battery is great for studio work with the camera run off the A/C mains. I'm using that all the time on a daily basis.

However, having additional cables running around when you are outdoors makes for an awkward camera handling, in particular if combined with thick winter clothing and gloves. Might work with a stationary camera, though, but hardly for hand-held shooting. The cables themselves can get stiff and perhaps brittle in the cold as well.

True, and I have experienced -normally supple- polyester and nylon sheets becoming stiff and brittle like sheets of aluminium foil. But then you don't have to be connected to the battery all the time, you can have the cable sticking out of your pockets and connect when you want to shoot. Better than fetching a battery and fitting it to a camera.

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2020, 13:22:40 »
I use a battery bank with dummy battery for my astophotography setup the whole time. I can power the setup for 6 hours at -25°C and almost as long at -40°C provided that I provide some intermittent heating of the battery bank. In its latest incarnation an electric hand warmer was added to keep the battery bank warmer for the 2.5 hours the hand warmer battery lasts. This will will delay the cooling of the battery bank. The hand warmer has yet to be tested at the lowest temperatures though.

Yes cables crack in the cold. I have replaced just about all cabling with silicone insulated one, including the one for the intervallometer. Only the short segment to the dummy battery has been left alone.
Øivind Tøien

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2020, 14:17:48 »
I use a battery bank with dummy battery for my astophotography setup the whole time. I can power the setup for 6 hours at -25°C and almost as long at -40°C provided that I provide some intermittent heating of the battery bank. In its latest incarnation an electric hand warmer was added to keep the battery bank warmer for the 2.5 hours the hand warmer battery lasts. This will will delay the cooling of the battery bank. The hand warmer has yet to be tested at the lowest temperatures though.

Yes cables crack in the cold. I have replaced just about all cabling with silicone insulated one, including the one for the intervallometer. Only the short segment to the dummy battery has been left alone.

I like this thread more and more as it develops... You've done your homework and written a few extra chapters!

I'm sure you know about gasoline/lighter fuel flameless hand warmers. On one charge they will keep a warm temperature for up to 6 hrs.

Ciao from Massimo

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2020, 08:36:19 »
I like this thread more and more as it develops... You've done your homework and written a few extra chapters!

I'm sure you know about gasoline/lighter fuel flameless hand warmers. On one charge they will keep a warm temperature for up to 6 hrs.

Ciao from Massimo

Thanks Massimo, I have heard about them but never tried. I must admit that I have some inhibitions vs putting something that is combusting next to a pack containing four 18650 batteries. I also wonder if it would get enough oxygen in the tight spaces of my padded case? I avoided the regular chemical ones as they have a very high heat output in the beginning and then dabs off. But now that I got curious I will probably do some research on the gasoline/lighter fuel flameless ones when I get time.

The battery powered one I got actually has a thermostat with some different settings. I figure if I can keep the pack near room temperature for 2.5 hours, it will take another 2.5 hours for it to cool down to a temperature too low for the battery bank to provide power (from my experience using an unheated but slightly insulated bank near -40°C). When I tested it at an outside temperature slightly below freezing and the highest setting, it kept the temperature logger that I placed in the case next to the bank (and slightly insulated from the hand warmer) steady around 33°C for about 2 hours and 45 minutes. I would not want it to get much warmer.
Øivind Tøien