Author Topic: Nikon Cameras in the Cold  (Read 15823 times)

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Re: Nikon Cameras in the Cold
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2018, 02:38:57 »
Wow... Very interesting post and definitely keeping me away from those northern parts when such temperatures arises !!!!
Last time I went trough minus 30° was in January in Khiva in Ouzbekistan. Several other people had their film that broke because of winding motors, while my FM2n with manual advance allowed me to wind the film slowly enough. We were not clothed for such a cold and did visit the city almost running... That was before the digital era !

I'm much more a hot weather guy and have a profound respect for those like you that braves those white lands... :D

Yes, film breaking in the cold with too fast winding was a well known problem in those days, although I did not have much problems with my F4.

Credit for the link of course goes to Stefan Christmann for sharing his experiences overwintering at those very southern  ;) latitudes.
Øivind Tøien

old school snapper

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • overland travel photography
Re: Nikon Cameras in the Cold
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2020, 15:46:30 »
Great in-depth post!
I'm still using a few classic Nikon lenses. I'm heading into -20C to-35C temps to "try" and capture images of snow leopards in the Himalaya. Is it insane to take an 800 f/5.6 AI-s tank into this environment? I'm not concerned about the weight. The lens survived +50C in the That desert for a month with no issues. Dabbing the lens with a drop of water immediately evaporated into steam - that's how hot it was.
I don't want to destroy this lens. I had a 400mm f/3.5 AI that had sadly cracked the front glass in sub-zero temps.
On this journey, I need all the reach I can get, the 800 hasn't let me down - as yet, touch wood.
Any helpful replies are appreciated.

The 2nd snap was captured during a mid-summer heat wave, the temp was actually between 50C - 52C, there were no signs of melting grease in the 800, the lens & body handled the extreme heat ok.

3rd snap was an AF-S 600 f/4 that received fungus in the Amazon. The probable cause was extreme humid conditions (32C/90F'80% humidity). During that journey, the lens was never demounted, or placed in air-con rooms. Since then, large fresh silica-gel packs are placed in camera-bags.