Author Topic: ACR/Lightroom GPU Acceleration  (Read 2168 times)

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
ACR/Lightroom GPU Acceleration
« on: November 17, 2016, 01:33:16 »
After an update of my Nvidia graphics drivers on Windows GPU acceleration on ACR started to produce strange looking tiles.  It turns out all Nvidia drivers after 368.xx are incompatible.  I had not updated my driver in a while, but it became incompatible with recent updates to Windows 10.  The situation is unfortunate because this has been going on since July with many updates to Nvidia drivers and a few to ACR.

Solutions:
1.  Disable GPU acceleration.
2.  Roll back the driver.

I am surprised this has not been solved in 4 months considering how many people this must effect.  Perhaps GPU acceleration is not the moon and the stars.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: ACR/Lightroom GPU Acceleration
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 10:01:30 »
Thank you for the heads up.

I have not had any issues,,,
Erik Lund

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 13:09:42 »
I haven't had issues on the use of GPU on my new computer (purchased this summer). I do recall that  with my old computer the ACR  in PS CC 2015 crashed  a couple of times and reported that the GPU use has been turned off due to a problem. However, it only happened a couple of times and those were some time ago (in 2015). I assume the problem was corrected somewhere (either in the driver, or in PS, or both).

I don't think the problem is with GPU computation per se, but simply the implementation. GPUs are becoming increasingly important in scientific computing.

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 20:26:20 »
I do see strange tiles occasionally when using the clone and heal tool. Win 10. Workaround is to reset clone and redo the work in a slightly different manor.
-/-/-

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 21:44:56 »
I have no problem with my on-chip GPU of Core i5 (Skylake).

My friend also uses an NVIDIA video card and experienced the same problem.  He says that LR works faster after disabling the acceleration.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira