Author Topic: Shores of San Francisco Bay/First Effort With the Nikkor 400/2.8 AF-S II  (Read 1003 times)

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
I recently was fortunate to obtain this lens at a good price, albeit at the going-out-of-business sale of the best remaining new + used photographic store in the San Francisco Bay Area.  A modest gain and a large loss...

I've used the 300/2.8 AIS and 500/4 AIP manual-focus lenses on a D7000 in the past to photograph relatively tame elk Cervus elaphus nannodes with some success, but more recently found a Canon 800/5.6 FD too tricky to get good focus results on a crop sensor (70D).  The animals tended to move too fast, even when quietly grazing, to keep their eyes in focus. 

(I was unusually close with the 800/5.6.  I had set up by the side of a public road in the elk reserve like I have in the past, and with my good behavior the elk simply grazed closer and closer, to the point where I was getting mainly just their heads.)

The 400/2.8 I examined in the store was well used but seemed to autofocus well on a film body so I went ahead and bought it.  I've long regarded fast autofocus supertelephoto lenses as either beyond my means or at least a poor use of my limited funds, though I have given consideration in the past to getting one or another AF-I version.  So this was a pleasant surprise and presented exciting possibilities.

I live within a reasonable driving distance of San Francisco Bay, one of the best spots on the west coast of North America to see shorebirds.  There are also a large number of waterfowl during the winter months, taking refuge from the frigid winter conditions found farther north and in the high plateaus to the east of California.  I had long wanted to try my hand at photographing these birds, but a rough period of years made every hour of sleep precious.  More recently my situation has improved considerably and I could once again face rising early on a day off from work to photograph under superior conditions for wildlife viewing.

The day I chose had the darkest morning of any day this year, as in the U.S. this is the last day of Daylight Savings Time yet only 6-1/2 weeks from the winter solstice.  That worked well, as I arrived just before the official 0800 opening time of the gate and stopped due to lack of subjects only an hour and a quarter later.

This was more of a trial run than anything else.  I have a great deal to learn, and little experience with photographing birds or using an autofocus lens to catch action.  Along the way I forgot to consider the aperture, and thus failed to take advantage of the available f/2.8.  Despite various other mistakes, I had a great time and got a few nice shots along the way. 

The location is the Martin Luther King Jr. Regional Shoreline, a park located on the shores of San Leandro Bay which is an arm of San Francisco Bay.  The site is heavily modified by humans; the surrounding land is nearly all former bay or marsh filled to make land.  Nevertheless, the area still has some marsh and open water, and at least what remains is now safe from being filled.

Camera: Nikon D7200.  Support: Gitzo 4330LS and RRS gimbal head.  I enjoyed the writing speed and large buffer of the D7200, relative to the D7000 I used in one of my few other action shooting efforts.

Ripples by Bill de Jager, on Flickr

Birdwatchers I by Bill de Jager, on Flickr

Stop Thief by Bill de Jager, on Flickr

Gull I by Bill de Jager, on Flickr

Canada Geese in Flight by Bill de Jager, on Flickr

The final shot should have had more space around the geese, but it's entirely uncropped.   It's beginner's luck that it was even centered this well as I frantically tried to follow the birds in flight!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
The sky is such that you could easily Photoshop in a little more. For such a shot I'd consider that a minor sin.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
Hi Bill
         I envy your opportunity to bring the 400mm f2.8 on board. I am actively seeking a affordable model at present.
         I have been side tracked in my search by the more affordable, 500/600mm AF-S models, but feel holding out for a 400mm is the right thing for me.
         I have the 500mm f4 AIP and 300mm f2.8 ais experience. I use these naked and with a TC, the TC16A is being used modified to allow a amount of
         AF that is very helpful.
          Your Images show the potential of the 400mm lens, its qualities stand out in your images. The idea of a super fast AF lens is very appealing to me,
         so the search continues.

John Gallagher

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Congratulations! A very fine lens indeed and your images show it!

Yes extend the canvas s bit no problem ;)

There appears to be some dust bunnies in the first shot,,,

The first is my favorite image, the mood is great ;)
Erik Lund

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
Thank you, David, John, and Eric!

There appears to be some dust bunnies in the first shot,,,

That's what I thought for sure, and I almost didn't use this shot.  However, careful examination of many other shots didn't show the same spots. If you look at the water that's in focus, near the ripples, there are bits of floating debris that get more and more out of focus farther back and which create an appearance of dust on the sensor.  What I really need to do is remove these anyway since they detract from the image.  I'll also do a test for dust on the sensor before I rule that out - I might still be wrong about this.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Thanks! Could well be crap on the water ;)
Erik Lund

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
Here are the rest of my selected shots.  Sorry for the copyright notices.

The setting, with San Leandro Bay in the foreground, the island of Alameda next, and the high rises of downtown Oakland in the distance:

San Leandro Bay I by Bill de Jager, on Flickr

Here's the first photo from before, cleaned up:

Ripples II by Bill de Jager, on Flickr

American coots, Fulica americana:

Look by Bill de Jager, on Flickr

An egret, but I'm not sure of the species:

Egret I by Bill de Jager, on Flickr

Another coot:

Serenity I by Bill de Jager, on Flickr

Time for the binoculars, spotting scopes, and my bird lens to head home:

Birders Retire by Bill de Jager, on Flickr

But before that happened, I saw this: