Author Topic: Golden days  (Read 1136 times)

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
Golden days
« on: October 28, 2016, 21:14:14 »
A walk in the Forest of Dean today was interrupted by some wild boar (on the path ahead), a rutting stag (somewhere deep in the woods, never seen) and some persistent Nuthatches and Woodpeckers flitting above us. All in all, it was a great decision to take the day off work.

And here's some of the scenery:

Gnarly guardians

Yes, much bracketing was needed in the dim light

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Golden days
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 10:16:55 »
Nice rendering in the first shot but the out of focus foreground is a bit distracting - Autumn forest is low light and a struggle to shoot so one often need a tripod,,,
Erik Lund

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 10:55:43 »
I am with Mr Lund - the second images colours are great!
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 21:04:03 »
Thanks Erik, Elsa

I understand - I really liked the tangle of branches in the first shot and tried several zoom settings.
I'd hoped the closer branches would act as a frame, but accept that the final result doesn't achieve this.

Gives me an excuse to go back and try again!
Meanwhile I found out a bit more about the wild boar. Turns out someone was trying to raise them and they bred faster than they could cope with. He brought them to the forest and released them as a way of getting them off his hands.

They carried on breeding and the 60 he released are now estimated to number more than 1,500! They cause a lot of damage and the Forestry teams are battling to control numbers (I think the pigs breed faster than they are able to cull them).