Author Topic: **UPDATE** Samsung -- REALLY fast SD-Cards  (Read 9320 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Samsung -- REALLY fast SD-Cards
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 19:56:24 »
After another 2.5 years I have more good news and bad:

1) I had more SanDisk cards fail on me, I still have to find one SanDisk 64GB card that does not die on me. The older Cards Ultra / Extreme up to 32GB CF & DS are still doing very fine. I will never buy SanDisk again

2) All of my Samsung cards, and I have plenty, are still very very reliable and fast.

3) All of the shops in my hometown unlisted Samsung cards due to their very unfriendly brick & mortar retail policy: they do not accept any returns, even of cards that came dead on arrival. Source: Shop managers. I buy the cards at amazon now.

I just bought another one, a SUPERBARGAIN! 128GB and very very fast: https://www.amazon.de/Samsung-Speicherkarte-Adapter-Frustfreie-Verpackung/dp/B06XFX9N84

Frank, thank you for the further info.  The news doesn't sound nice to me...

Now that I'm using Panasonic GH5, I want to replace my UHS-I SD cards to UHS-II ones (V.90, if possible).  Samsung UHS-II cards don't seem to be available even in Amazon.  The reasonably priced cards are either Sandisk or Toshiba, and maybe Sony, but, if I understand correctly, the flash memory for Sandisk is made by Toshiba.  My slower (UHS-I) Toshiba Exceria cards are working just fine, but I don't use them as extensively or heavily as yours.

Panasonic UHS-II cards are still quite expensive.  Lexar disengaged its flash memory division.  I haven't trusted or even looked at ADATA due to its early defective products.  Oh, well.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: **UPDATE** Samsung -- REALLY fast SD-Cards
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 21:31:15 »
Another Note: speed grade is dependent on capacity. The 32GB "Evo Plus" is only rated U with a "1" inside, seems to deliver 20 MB/s in real life (ISO), not 64 MB/s (binary)
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: Samsung -- REALLY fast SD-Cards
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 00:18:12 »
Recently I have used some Toshiba Exceria Pro CF-cards, they are considered to be extremely reliable, and so far they seem to work perfectly in my cameras.
None of my Sandisk cards have failed me, but one or two Lexars have behaved strangely, so they are dumped in the bin.

Before dumping a misbehaving SD cards try using the SD Association's SD card format utility. After that install the card in the camera it will be used in and format it again. The camera will do a quick format and prepare the card for it's use. The SD Association's utility has a number of options so select what you need to correct problems or for security if needed.

This utility can't repair defects. I don't know if it can mask errors in a card that is near its end of life. If in doubt it's not worth using a questionable card. If a card was ejected improperly or the camera shut off too fast this utility may help.

SD Memory Card Formatter - SD Association

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 13:04:21 »
The trouble with Sandisk cards was always that they suddenly turn read only, although there is no read only function on micro SD cards! No formatting possible on any operating system. Can be read only in the Android device I have used the cards in.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 14:23:26 »
The trouble with Sandisk cards was always that they suddenly turn read only, although there is no read only function on micro SD cards! No formatting possible on any operating system. Can be read only in the Android device I have used the cards in.

This sounds like a failure of the slide lock. I wonder if it can be defeated? If closing contacts allows the card to be written to then maybe cleaning would fix such a card. I can't find an SD card I can butcher.

Dave

Dave

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 17:20:55 »
This sounds like a failure of the slide lock. I wonder if it can be defeated? If closing contacts allows the card to be written to then maybe cleaning would fix such a card.

Dave

There is no lock on micro SD cards. Many cards come in this format today with a slide in adapter

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2018, 02:21:46 »
Sandisk has a limited lifetime replacement policy and have replaced failed cards for me long out of warranty. A working sandisk is better than a broken sandisk even if you don't plan buying more. Perhaps it is worth looking into?

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/rmaform

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2018, 05:20:15 »
There is no lock on micro SD cards. Many cards come in this format today with a slide in adapter

I've only bought one of those and installed it in my phone.  :)

Dave

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2018, 11:33:36 »
Sandisk has a limited lifetime replacement policy and have replaced failed cards for me long out of warranty. A working sandisk is better than a broken sandisk even if you don't plan buying more. Perhaps it is worth looking into?

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/rmaform

You suggest I send them my card with all my data on them? Data I cannot delete or alter?

Look: These are only my Sandisk cards currently left after selling a lot of old cameras with wiped cards in them (D70, D70s, D7000, D3, D600) and of course not those that went back to the place of purchase for defect / refund

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2018, 18:06:24 »
You suggest I send them my card with all my data on them? Data I cannot delete or alter?

Just bringing it to your attention that they may replace your failed cards.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2018, 21:12:33 »
Just bringing it to your attention that they may replace your failed cards.

You are right. I had RMA and free UPS sticker within hours. I send the card back for replacement.

Thank you

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2018, 11:50:17 »
I bought another one of these cards ( Samsung EVO Plus 128GB, Class 10 (100MB/s) - microSDXC Karte, price: 40,75 EUR incl. s&h at ebay.de) and did test it to verify the capacity and performance with the tool of Heise-Developer Harald Bögeholz, Mathematician, Genius, former Colleague of mine at ct.de.

Result:

122.090 MByte tested (capacity 128.000.000.000 Byte ISO)
writerate: 75,7 MByte/s (average over the whole capacity)
readrate: 81,4 MByte/s (average over the whole capacity)
software version: H2testw v1.4