Author Topic: Lens ownership quandaries  (Read 3273 times)

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Lens ownership quandaries
« on: January 16, 2018, 14:55:15 »
I've got a few lenses - some used all the time, others purchased at a price I couldn't resist and some that just came with buying other gear e.g. camera bodies. I feel bad that I haven't used some for a long time and even more so when good AF-S glass stop working due to motor failures - possibly due to under use.

I put some recently on gumtree (equivalent to Craigslist) and I've had scammers, low ballers, time wasters. I've had enough of that and am about to delist them all. But that puts me back on the same quandary - too many lenses!

What do you guys do - just live with them and enjoy them occasionally/ sell to shop at big loss/ put up with the hit and miss of sales sites like eBay/gumtree? ugh

Seapy

• NG Member
Re: Lens ownership quandaries
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 15:16:35 »
Putting anything other than a basic 18-55 on eBay is a waste of time.  The buyers expect new items for rock bottom price. I sold a Micro Nikkor 60mm and it took me a week to get the buyer to accept that you have to set the aperture to minimum and lock it there for auto aperture to work, he claimed that was a fault ::).  That was despite the lens manual and box being included in the sale.  In the end he did thank me for my patience and was happy with the lens, I lost quite a bit of hair during that transaction, never again.

Try trading-in via a reputable dealer, a friend of mine recently disposed of several Nikkor lenses to Wix, in PX for a D850, they gave him at least what he would have got on eBay minus the fees, one was a squeaky AF-S.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 16:48:49 »
My personal philosophy: It is usually better to keep the odd and little used equipment around. It may become interesting again, and it is easier to keep it than to sell it OR re-buy it.
Most of the lenses I have sold off I wish I still had, even though I wouldn't be using them every day, or even every month.

For the times when I do sell lenses (or other items) locally on Craigslist, I state in the ad that 'spam bot' responses and obvious 'lowball' offers will be ignored...and I do ignore them.
 And...I never arrange a sales meeting without actually talking on the phone first.  In my area, it seems that most scammers and internet weirdos will avoid a live phone conversation.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 16:57:02 »
My personal philosophy: It is usually better to keep the odd and little used equipment around. It may become interesting again, and it is easier to keep it than to sell it OR re-buy it.
Most of the lenses I have sold off I wish I still had, even though I wouldn't be using them every day, or even every month.
Yes agree with that. 

However, when I am not 100% satisfied with a lens for whatever reason (and the lens is not a rare one) I put it on sale for the amount I can buy another one back.  So I have continuously some lenses for sale and also continuous purchase possibilities :)

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 23:03:24 »
 I've bought a few bags and boxes from retired photographers and ended up with doubles. I've decided to sell them and also the AF lenses as I don't use them. I put them on the national equivalent of Craiglist at a little less than the average selling price in auction on Ebay and wait, sometimes a few months but they end up going. I don't negotiate on the price and I always speak to the phone with the buyer to agree on a face to face meeting. Belgium is a small country, so this is possible here.
From time to time I repost to get back on top of the list and that's it.
I get of course some ridiculous proposals but a copy paste of my pricing explanation is all I need.

It is low maintenance selling, no stress but also no hurry.

Bruno Schröder

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 01:19:49 »
1. Decide if you want to be a collector or a photographer

2. As a photographer it is enough to keep the equipment you need

3. As a collector you cannot have to many lenses

4. Some people are collectors as well as photographers

5. From your description I deduct you are not a collector

so what to do?

Set a benchmark:

Lenses I will never use again can sure go
Lenses I will probably never use again also
Lenses I did not use in 12 month too

I sometimes sell on eBay, something at a local store which gives me about 60% of what I get on eBay. eBay is very time consuming and the take 10% of your revenue
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 04:27:24 »
Lots of good advice from everyone - thanks all
You are correct Frank - I think I'm getting older and becoming less of a collector and more of a user.

It comes down to the philosophy of sufficiency doesn't it? This is not just photo gear of course - extends to cars, guitars, computers etc

The D800E has capability beyond my skill - I just think that better AF eg with D850 would be good to have. I love my Df which is my travel camera and is always surprising at how good the pictures look - yet I crave the small size of Leica and the amazing glass. But I've already got some great glass that I enjoy using - so how much do I really need vs how much do I want?

Just wanted to know how others dealt with these dilemmas....

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 05:17:36 »
Lots of good advice from everyone - thanks all
You are correct Frank - I think I'm getting older and becoming less of a collector and more of a user.
JJ, I can certainly identify with getting older  :) .  I've been selling gear for a couple of years now.   I used to keep the very good lenses "just in case" but when I found I was not using for "any case" it is time to sell.   Fortunately I have a pretty good network of people here and charge reasonable prices so normally have no trouble selling.

I'm using the Df but only use about 4 lenses with any regularity.   I have a good selection for travel for the a7xx and Oly Pen F.   I have not used the 500 f4 vr for many months so will sell.  I'm down to the D500, Df, and D300s now.    Next I need to think about selling some of the gear that is not used by my wife and son.    There is now some actual space in the 5 DigiCabi's....  :) .   I have NAS for the 105 f1.4, 70-200 2.8 E vr and D850 but at my level , I certainly do not need them.     Will spend the money on some trips  :)
Tom   
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 05:59:42 »
I have "too many" lenses, many more than those I used in the past 12 months.

So far I only sold obviously redundant lenses, and always via a shop, preferrably one that will give me the cash after a short check (example: FNAC, a big retailer), alternatively one that pays me once the lens gets re-sold (dépôt vente in French; usually small shops specialized in second hand gear; e.g. many places around Boulevard Beaumarchais in Paris).

I am psychologically ready for any discussion about the lens condition and price with a professional, not with a random buyer.
Airy Magnien

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 09:29:23 »
I am psychologically ready for any discussion about the lens condition and price with a professional, not with a random buyer.

I know what you mean. This weekend I put my 70-200 VR1 and 35-70mm 2.8D amongst others online.
Apart from very low offers eg A$300 for 70-200 (and then abuse if you reply kindly that it is a little low), I've had people ask 'stupid' questions eg "will it AF on my camera - I'm not sure what it is" ...but then turn out to be avid collectors with D750s, D810s etc. Why lie? What do they possibly think they would gain? Unlike you dear Airy, I was psychologically ill-prepared to deal with it!

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 00:42:38 »
Why not list your surplus lenses here on the Classified Ads board? The only cost is becoming an NG supporter, which you have done already.
This way you avoid paying listing or success fees. The audience here might be smaller but more likely to be interested in what you have to offer, and less likely to ask silly questions.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 06:06:21 »
Why not list your surplus lenses here on the Classified Ads board? The only cost is becoming an NG supporter, which you have done already.
This way you avoid paying listing or success fees. The audience here might be smaller but more likely to be interested in what you have to offer, and less likely to ask silly questions.

Even selling here is not pain free. I kept Michael E. in suspense for several days as I wrestled with a decision about purchasing a lens he was offering. Ultimately I did not buy (after arguing with myself over how often I’d actually use it), and I’m sure I must have caused some level of annoyance despite his outward patience with me.