Author Topic: AF-S to AF-C quick change. Is it possible ?  (Read 19994 times)

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
AF-S to AF-C quick change. Is it possible ?
« on: September 04, 2016, 08:09:06 »
Now don't lets all get confused with back button focus.
What I want to do with a D810 is this .
I usually shoot AF-S half press and then release .For about 20 seconds when a bride walks down the aisle I need to go to AF-C  and then back to AF-S without all that side button/wheel/read the screen.
Now when in AF-C it does not matter if I have to hold a button to keep it in AF-C or press and re press to change back but in AF-S I need it all on the shutter button (focus and release) .
Clearly if I had U1 and U2 it would be no problem.  I don't trust the menu on D810 as it cannot be locked.

Any thoughts ? everyone else has failed.....
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: AF-S to AF-C quick change. Is it possible ?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 09:31:56 »
Using the AF-ON button with the camera set to AF-C one can press to focus and release to lock. Then one can take multiple shots without the AF system trying to be helpful. This gives much the same function as AF-S. To me it's AF speed and accuracy with manual focus logic. For tracking just press and hold the AF-ON button. A reflex can be formed is a short time. In a few days it should get very natural.

Perhaps someone else knows a fast way to switch between AF-S and AF-C but I doubt there is one. I've used this technique on the F5, D2H and currently with the D300s and D800. The eye never come away from the viewfinder. It works at the speed of a reflex.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 09:57:02 »
Back button focus does not do what I want.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 11:23:50 »

As far as I know then you are out of luck. Maybe someone else knows a way to switch instantly from focusing on a static subject and then tracking a moving one that doesn't involve the AF-ON button.

Dave

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 11:50:40 »

From your opening text I was about to give you exactly the same advice David did. I´m working currently with a d700 and a d750 photographing a lot of people in movement that can present similar problems to be soved AF wise. It is working for me so...can you rephrase your needs?

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 13:22:15 »
I don't mind pressing a button to change to AF-C or even hold one down but I don't want to be in back button focus mode (ie using two fingers) for normal AF-s work..............two fingers is ok for af-c (button and release) as I am only in that mode for about  60 seconds

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 13:44:37 »
It seems the easiest way for you would be simply to switch to AF-C for those times you need it. Nikon used to have AF-S/AF-C/M choice with a single switch but at least for me it was often in the wrong position between the two modes. Today it requires two hands in practice.

I switched to AF-ON for focusing and always keep the focus in continuous mode now when I'm shooting (release+focus or was it the other way around). It means I do not have to switch between settings when photographing static and moving subjects. And with most AF-S lenses, manual focus is always available again without having to switch modes. One disadvantage is that focus priority mode is not available when working in this way (otherwise the camera would not fire if recomposing the main subject outside of the focus point). Another is that changing focus points manually would require interrupting the focus operation (unless using lens button to activate AF-ON). I find this to be the best compromise for me.

paul_k

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Paul_k
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 16:37:19 »
Hasn't Nikon Solved that with the M/A AF option on certain (?, only tried it on my 1.4/58mm AFS) AFS lenses?

Admittedly I'm talking somewhat out of my league here as I don't use that option under real world conditions myself (only 'real' experience I have with it is that I once got a few good deals on AF D lenses as the previous owner absolutely wanted to upgarde to AFS lenses because of the M/A AF option) but it, as far as my experience goes, works flawless under 'laboratory' conditions

From what I've read (and as said found while playing around  with this option), M/A AF allows to 'normally use a camera in AF-C mode, but if desired, make slight (manual) corrections using the focus ring on the lens (i.e. manually override the 'correct' focus setting found by the camera) to get a different point/plane in focus then what the camera has 'in focus'.

It would need a good eye/hand reflex, and good eye sight as well, but I can imagine to, while the bride is coming down the aisle, shoot with the camera in AF-C mode and lens in M/A mode, have the camera focus, and make slight manual adjustments when desired while shooting

May seem a little tricky with a bride walking down the aisle, but then I personally would never shoot a moving subject in AF-S mode anyway
I shoot a fair bit of catwalk, where the models basically similar to a bride down the aisle, walk down the catwalk towards the photographer, under, again similar to a bride, always under the best sort of lighting, and always shoot in AF-C mode (but don't use M/A focus)
E..g. these catwalk pictures http://www.pbase.com/paul_k/20160403_max_h_jhm were shot in the synagogue of the Jewish Historical Museum in Amsterdam. The 'aisle' the models I was shooting walked through, was so dark I could only resort to using flash to get a 'properly' exposed picture, so you can imagine how bad the light was for using AF (although my D800 passed with flying colors).

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 17:40:03 »
don't shoot a moving object in AF-s   ..I got that
You shoot catwalk in AF-C similar to aisle ..yes got that
So how do you switch fast from  S to C  and back to S.....that is the question....????

Seems a very simple request just to go from S to C without pushing 3 buttons and needing your glasses to read the display ...

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 17:51:01 »
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I'm wondering why it seems so difficult to use two fingers.  I switched to BBF long ago,  more or less for the same reason Pistnbroke cites, and find it works pretty well.  There is an initial period when one forgets to do it right every time, but that's done pretty quickly.  Now I hit the back button even when I'm borrowing other cameras, and have to remind myself not to.  Once you're used to it, there's really little down side to this.  About the only problem I know of is that in some cameras, such as the D3200, AFC is sometimes more forgiving than AFS.  It's rarely a problem even so, and less so when a subject is not moving fast. 

Of course I realize I'm in a peculiar position here using the lowly D3200, which lacks many useful features.  BBF and shutter button AEL works very well on this camera, allowing you to spot meter, spot focus and recompose with complete control.

I would welcome a system as simple as "side button, wheel and read the screen," which my current D3200 lacks.  I would have thought that after a little practice you would not have to read the screen.  The wheel clicks.  One right one left.  What's to look at?

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 20:55:33 »
I forgot my D300s has a three position switch. I haven't use the camera much lately. I do remember now I accidentally changed the position of that switch a few times and missed shots. I much prefer the current system. I'm sure others don't. I also forgot when shooting my D300s and thought I was shooting my friend's D300. Her camera is setup for AF-S on the shutter. I took one grip and grin and something didn't sound right. :) I switched my mind set to my camera and all went well.

---

For those who need glasses for both distance and close viewing I have a pair of glasses that I initially setup for driving. They are of the transitions bifocal type. The bifocal is set low so they don't blur my forward vision while driving. I tilt the seat back as I have long arms and don't like the feeling that the steering wheel is in my throat.

For viewfinder use I look through the distance part of the lens and dial in a bit of minus diopter. The low set bifocal works perfectly for viewing the top and rear LCD(s). I can't use the camera with any skill without the bifocal. If I don't have those glasses I set the camera to "P" for professional and hope for the best. This is another set it and forget it if you will. Putting on and taking off reading glasses to see the LCD would be too cumbersome. If I didn't need glasses for distance I think I'd have a pair made with no correction for distance and the same correction for close-up. The only time I think about these glasses is when reading a book or my computer. I have to raise my head uncomfortably. Anyway I mention this as some here might find special "camera" or driving glasses helpful.   

Dave

paul_k

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Paul_k
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 22:34:32 »
don't shoot a moving object in AF-s   ..I got that
You shoot catwalk in AF-C similar to aisle ..yes got that
So how do you switch fast from  S to C  and back to S.....that is the question....????

Let me reformulate it, as you obviously are missing the point  :P

To begin
AF-S means (and I quote the Nikon/ Imaging Products site)
In single-servo AF (AF-S), focus will lock if the shutter-release button is kept pressed halfway after the camera focuses.....
Focus lock is used to change the composition without changing focus. If you frame the shot so that the main subject is in the selected focus point, focus, and then change the composition while keeping the shutter-release button pressed halfway to lock focus, you can create compositions in which the main subject is not in a focus point but is nevertheless in focus.

So when you use it on a moving subject, it will, when you half depress the shutter release, focus on the subject when it's in a certain spot, and have/keep the focus there (even if the subject has moved from that spot, and thus will risk to result in a out of focus picture) until either you take the picture, or take your finger from the release button, and refocus by half depressing it again.
Which for all practical purposes makes it the wrong choice for shooting moving subjects like brides walking down the aisle (or models down the catwalk)

I can imagine (although I never used it that way) that while using AF-C (where, again quoting Nikon/Imaging Products, 'the camera will continue to focus if the shutter-release button is kept pressed halfway after the camera focuses') you might want the focus on a different spot where the camera has it at that moment.
Again, for the reason mentioned earlier, very unpractical when your subject is moving, but perhaps an option one might want to use when the subject stops for a brief moment/spit second, and you want to 'fine tune' the focus for a specific spot (other then where the camera, based on the focus spot used, has it).

As changing the AF settings from AF-C to AF-S, is, as observed by the OP and others, too slow and cumbersome (and as all agree upon impossible to do so swiftly), rather then breaking one's brains over how to make that change fast nevertheless, in my opinion/'laboratory conditions' experience maybe better use the M/A focus settings on the (AFS) lens,while the camera is in AF-C mode.

The camera will, based om the AF focus point, focus on a certain spot within the composition.
But in that split moment the subject is standing still and when you want to focus spot on a different point in the composition (and where AF-S, and focus/recompose would seem the best option) rather use the focus ring on the lens to override the spot where the camera's AF (in AF-C mode) has locked in and adjust it manually to where you prefer it.
For all practice and purposes as slow as focus/recompose, (but that would not be a problem since the subject is standing still), but it will allow to get the focus on a certain, other then the camera has it in that composition, spot, without the hassle of changing from AF-C to AF-S.

It, I think, would/will mean having to have some skill with focusing very fast manually, and a quick eye/hand reaction to actually, in the split moment the subject is standing still, take the picture when the focus is on the desired spot.
And admittedly isn't as easy as using AF-S in focus priority (and just having the camera taking the picture when it thinks the picture is in focus, even if the subject may no longer be there).

Yes, not the 'answer' on 'how to how do you switch fast from  S to C  and back to S' , but from a practical point of view perhaps a viable option  :)

charlie

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 23:12:46 »
Seems a very simple request just to go from S to C without pushing 3 buttons and needing your glasses to read the display ...

Why is pressing the AF-mode button & rotating the rear main command dial one click not an option?

That is about as simple as it gets. You don't even need to remove your eye from the viewfinder to verify as it reads AFS or AFC in the viewfinder when the AF-mode button is pressed. 

charlie

• NG Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 08:50:30 »
Am I missing something?

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 08:55:15 »
Why is pressing the AF-mode button & rotating the rear main command dial one click not an option

For myself I'd not want to chance miss setting the AF mode under pressure just before a critical shoot.

----

I understand that Pistnbroke doesn't want to use the AF-ON button but for me a press and release of the AF-ON button in AF-C mode is functionally the same as AF-S.

Dave