Author Topic: Printing Guidance Requested.  (Read 3404 times)

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
Printing Guidance Requested.
« on: August 28, 2016, 11:59:49 »
I purchased a used Epson R2880 with a Continuous Ink System in 2015, with the intention of beginning printing during the winter of 2015.
I would like to return to the Winter Printing Exercise for the 2016 winter. I am a novice at printing, with a lot of internet investigation into the Hardware options and methods used to employ the hardware.
Apart from having to clean out a few blocked ink tubes on the CIS, I am ready to go.
It would be great if a  "Tips and Tricks"  type guideline could be created, as I know I will benefit from offered suggestions.
I feel sure there are many who have yet to view there work off the computer and it would be a encouragement to them, to investigate printing their work.
It would be fair to say a image presented in the form of a Print is the ultimate end product of the photographic process. 
John Gallagher

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
Re: Printing Guidance Requested.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 14:04:23 »
I have same or similar printer without the continuous system. The idea was to spend more on a printer to print more, but alas I have far UNDER used it.

i remember struggling to get Lightroom and Epson drivers to cooperate, but the problems can b worked out.

I'll be looking to hear how you make out and can also use some encouragement to print more, whether at home or via MPIX.

Cheers,
Rob

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 14:43:50 »
Good idea John.

I'm also hoping to get back to do some more printing - my Epson R3000 have had a far too long rest and is now suffering from smearing when I do nozzle checks. It probably requires a thorough cleaning. I've seen far too much expensive ink wasted on nothing.

I use Qiamage Ultimate for printing - suggested by NG member AFX (Andreas). I haven't really learned the software yet, but used the "print unclog pattern" feature to fix some print head issues and keep my printer in shape - but apparently not enough.     

To me printing is just another media to present ones images - I do find sharing images via internet forums very interesting and rewarding. Having my images printetd and hanging in my living room is nice but not seen by many. As a hobby I worked in darkroom with film and b/w printing back in 1980's so I simply had to try a good photo printer. I did try photo labs first but I was mostly dissapointed.       

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 15:04:52 »
The attitude towards printing varies. Personally I find it much more optimal to supply files suited for a given printing task or pre-press usage, whether they be published in books, magazines, online sites, or hung as exhibition prints, rather than concentrate on the actual making of the prints. The latter requires more time and efforts than I'm willing to spend anyway, so it literally is cheaper for me to use a printing company the few times I need a large-sized print for my own purpose.

I assume if one can get sufficient volume of the printing, or conducting it as an interesting hobby, it is feasible and perhaps (?) more economic to do it yourself.

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 18:53:46 »
A good early response and already a few suggestions to investigate.
I have presented prints that were produced by a third party in my Camera Club Competitions, these Competitions were run parallel with Digital Projected Images. The cost of A3 Print was £4.00 after a successful haggle downwards from £7.00. There were other printers that were asking £15.00
I purchased my printer for £90, with about 30% ink left in the containers. 9 x non OEM refills in 100ml will be about $100.
There is something Tangible and Satisfying when handling and mounting a print, as well as the sense of achievement.
I have seen many Digital Projected Images in public exhibitions running parallel with Framed Prints. The prints allow a much more studious viewing and by getting in close as well as standing off, allows a much better experience in understanding the image. The Digital Projection Images, based on my experiences, do not allow such a interaction. They are not permanently on view, but usually part of a slide show. Viewing on a computer for me, lacks a setting that extracts
a emotional content, they will offer a considerable amount of inspiration, prompting investigation.  I will immediately put a image on the Large HD TV if I find it interesting, and observe as I would a Print in a Exhibition. I do believe a image of quality deserves a life, and a study, not just to be scrolled past.
As for the assumption a printed image is not seen by many. There are many competitions based all over the world, where a image offered can be selected by a panel of judges, and put on show into a exhibition. The Natural History Museum, Wildlife Exhibition, is one Prime Example, as well as the BBC Countryfile Calendar Competition and the Sony World Photography Awards .
This to some is a great way to offer a work and if all goes well have their work viewed daily over weeks sometime months. It will give a image a life and can have a profound effect on others lives as well. I have indelible memories of images seen in exhibitions.
Another way to have a Print observed by others is to speak with a Local Cafe/Bar or Social Centre to see if they will allow some framed images on their walls. If there are any real interested parties in the exhibited work, let the proprietor know any profit from monies exchanged will go to a charity. 
A family member done this in a Cafe and it created a interest that they were pleased with. 
Another plus side with choosing to do your own printing, is that there are used Hardware Devices available today at very low purchase prices, and there is a wealth of information available to extract the most from these machines at a nominal additional cost. When I did the maths in 2015,
with a third party  imported K ink, I recall I was down to £00.03p per A3+ print in ink cost. This allows a lot of investigation into paper choices. 
Looking forward to hear how this topic evolves for others on NG.
John Gallagher

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 19:07:35 »
Just a side note: by "large-sized" I refer to prints at least 1 m on the major axis. Few home printers can produce those output sizes.

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 19:22:09 »
The attitude towards printing varies. Personally I find it much more optimal to supply files suited for a given printing task or pre-press usage, whether they be published in books, magazines, online sites, or hung as exhibition prints, rather than concentrate on the actual making of the prints. The latter requires more time and efforts than I'm willing to spend anyway, so it literally is cheaper for me to use a printing company the few times I need a large-sized print for my own purpose.

I assume if one can get sufficient volume of the printing, or conducting it as an interesting hobby, it is feasible and perhaps (?) more economic to do it yourself.

To me it was the printing process, control, possible good output and paper options I found very interesting - I accepted it would probably not be more economic .. (far from) so it's an interesting hobby. Just like photography - is it "economical" to buy expensive photo gear being an amateur like me. It's not - I've never got paid for an image and probably never will. 

I've considered trying ConeColor inks as a cheaper alternative to Epsons ink but that depends on how much use the printer will see. 

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 19:29:42 »
If you have the required time to unravel the enigmas of quality printing, by all means go ahead and enjoy the process from file to finished print. In the very early days of digital photography, we usually had to do pre-press work as well in order for the commercial printers to accept the products, and few companies offered suitable printing services anyway. The scene is completely changed in contemporary times. For the better, I hope.

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 19:56:04 »
If you have the required time to unravel the enigmas of quality printing, by all means go ahead and enjoy the process from file to finished print.

Well .. unfortunately it seems I don't since the printer is collecting dust, I'm wasting ink on cleaning cycles and printing unclog patterns hoping to prevent the printer from clogging. I'm probably spending too much time here on NG sharing images and discussing photography instead  ;D   

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 22:45:44 »
For commercial work, the final form of display is usually decided by someone else.
For "personal" work there's something nice about having a form of display that, once produced, no longer requires electricity and microprocessors. 
If you like having small (by the Fierce Bear's definition of small) prints on hand, a 17" printer (Epson P800/Canon Pro 1000) represents a substantially better economy over the smaller units, due to ink costs.  My standard size for prints is for the image to be 8 inches on the small side, in honor of the ancient 8x10" camera plate/film that could be contact printed at that size. 
After 40 years of facing tedious darkroom work or expensive farmout lab work just to see an image on paper, it's still exciting to be able to make mono or color prints with total control.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 03:01:04 »
Has anyone made "Folios", a book of prints? I hear them discussed on the LensWork podcast, but don't know if that refers to some specific technique of printing and binding, or if that is just a general term people use. I've made photo books through online services, but I this is more of a collection of prints in a set. The idea appeals to me.

Rob.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 04:14:44 »
Coincidence? Over the weekend a printing shop gave a talk at the photo studio/club. I'm interested in their photo books. I tried printing and found it frustrating. This guys provide the output profiles.
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 23:25:54 »
Coincidence? Over the weekend a printing shop gave a talk at the photo studio/club. I'm interested in their photo books. I tried printing and found it frustrating. This guys provide the output profiles.

Same here, frustrating and can't be rid of cast colors...

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 00:31:28 »
After a small amount of research I found this offering from an American supplier:  A system of book-like bindings into which prints can be inserted
http://spiralbinding.com/p/104420/Pinchbooks-Instant-Photo-Books/Pinchbook-Photo-Books
Maybe a similar thing is available in Europe?
As far as inkjet printing being frustrating and/or fraught with technical glitches, I haven't experienced any problems that weren't fairly typical, common computer-periphreral interface issues. 
But...I'm still excited to just be able to make controlled prints.  If I was extemely busy and well-to-do, I'd farm it out.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 01:25:26 »
I do only a few prints on paper, and everything is outsourced.  I have an excellent experience with White Wall, Berlin
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν