Author Topic: Sailing rigs on the Geneva Lake  (Read 10797 times)

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
Sailing rigs on the Geneva Lake
« on: August 23, 2016, 18:28:59 »
The Geneva Lake hosts approximately 100 old sailing rigs which are cherished by their owners; a fair percentage are over 100 years now. Despite that these "wind cathedrals" are relatively fragile, expensive and time consuming to maintain; around 30 of these go out every fortnight for a race.

1 - Calypso - 3 tonner class (Godinet rating) - 1911 - owner: Musée de la Marine (Paris)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Re: Sailing rigs on the Geneva Lake
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 18:30:22 »
Interesting indeed - and cool photo!
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 18:47:43 »
Thank you Elsa  :)

2 - Calypso

3 - Calypso

4 - Calypso

Calypso - 5

All pictures taken with Nikon D5 and Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6
"Old Rig Challenge" organized by La Licorne (Nernier - 74 France) - August 20-21, 2016
There a few pictures dating from 2014: same lens but D4s body.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 19:02:33 »
Beautiful photos of beautiful boats!

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 19:32:12 »
Thank you Peter  :)

Here another one: Phoebus, also a 3 tonner (Godinet rating) launched in 1903 i.e. a 113 year "young" lady. This one belongs to the Musée du Léman in Nyon (CH):

6 - Phoebus

These boats are very labor intensive and need big (and athletic) crews:

7 - Phoebus

From time to time, you have to rely more on gravity rather than muscle...

8 - Phoebus
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 23:58:12 »
the guy in #3 looks like Robert de Niro!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 00:02:22 »
the guy in #3 looks like Robert de Niro!

I will tell him when I meet him next time  :D Thank you for visiting my thread  :)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 00:06:12 »
I visit any of your threads but I do not always understand your pictures. If confused I do not write "I am confused" but refrain from writing.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 00:53:43 »
Hello Frank, what do you mean by "I do not always understand your pictures" ?  :) If you have a question, please ask.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 11:33:03 »
great pictures showing these jewels in work
and as well of relaxed crews enjoying it
Thomas Stellwag

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 13:25:20 »
Hello Frank, what do you mean by "I do not always understand your pictures" ?  :) If you have a question, please ask.

I mean I cannot connect to them, relate to them, which is not a rational reaction, but an emotional one. A reaction that cannot be resolved by q&a.

E.g. cars are not my friends but more of an annoyance to my existence, sometimes a necessity to use, because the world is constructed in such a way (which I disregard and are actively working to change).

So: If a car photo wants to receive a comment from me it has to be absolutely smashing phantastic extraordinary (same goes for naked people in photos or fashion). And I am spoiled completely because one of my best friends is a high ranking graphics professional at Ford. So I see the footage of really expensive international car shooters all the time (although I would prefer not to, but he is my friend and likes to show me his work).

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 16:48:17 »
Awesome boats, really nice shots

I mean I cannot connect to them, relate to them, which is not a rational reaction, but an emotional one. A reaction that cannot be resolved by q&a.

E.g. cars are not my friends but more of an annoyance to my existence, sometimes a necessity to use, because the world is constructed in such a way (which I disregard and are actively working to change).

So: If a car photo wants to receive a comment from me it has to be absolutely smashing phantastic extraordinary (same goes for naked people in photos or fashion). And I am spoiled completely because one of my best friends is a high ranking graphics professional at Ford. So I see the footage of really expensive international car shooters all the time (although I would prefer not to, but he is my friend and likes to show me his work).
Frank, now I'm confused ... what do cars have to do with boats ?
Have you been on a sailing boat ? I have only twice in my life and found it quite enjoyable, to be moved by the wind, no engines
an exhilarating feeling, to be on a fragile structure, that leans sometimes heavily towards the water surface, to see it and feel it ride the wave

but that is me, I like transportation in general, from roller skates, bikes, cars, trains, airplanes, and boats :)
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 17:38:43 »
And here with Calliope, another 2 tonner (Godinet rating), 1907 vintage, build by the Italian shipyard Costaguta:

9 - Calliope

10 - Calliope

11 - Calliope
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 18:00:21 »
Thomas & Armando, thank you for visiting.

@Frank: First, I come here to admire and share pictures, photo technique, try to learn from the experience from other, etc.; to make it short, to enjoy.  We have all our views; and from time to time, there are subjects, pictures I don't like: in these cases, I simply pass my way.  I find that this forum is not too much the place where a person has to give his philosophical views.  More than once, you shared your vision about cars - inter alia; I think we all got the message (at least I have). Let's enjoy what we have and share in common: photography.  For the rest...  This said, I like most of your pictures.  ;)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 18:37:38 »
Beautiful captures of beautiful boats! Nice bright pastel colors.
Erik Lund