Author Topic: Summer weather in the Lake District  (Read 2744 times)

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Summer weather in the Lake District
« on: August 21, 2016, 11:12:07 »
From a camping trip with a friend last weekend.
Simone Tomasi

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
Re: Summer weather in the Lake District
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 11:53:12 »
Stunning landscapes !

I discovered this area when I was going to Scotland. I spend a night near Kendal and wandered around : I want to go again there... :-*
Francis Devrainne

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 11:57:54 »
Stunning landscapes !

I discovered this area when I was going to Scotland. I spend a night near Kendal and wandered around : I want to go again there... :-*

Thank you Francis.
The Lake District is an exquisite little jewel, I am surprised that you have discovered it only now, given how strongly it is present in the collective imagination of the English people.
Simone Tomasi

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 12:55:22 »
Simato - these scenes are truly beautiful and worthy of being photographed. They translate well into images.
I find some of them a bit "flat" - I would have added some contrast with a small adjustment in curves in photoshop.
When its so very overcast - the light is very diffused (which is great of course) but you need to add some contrast back then.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 13:21:53 »
Simato - these scenes are truly beautiful and worthy of being photographed. They translate well into images.
I find some of them a bit "flat" - I would have added some contrast with a small adjustment in curves in photoshop.
When its so very overcast - the light is very diffused (which is great of course) but you need to add some contrast back then.

Hi Elsa dear - not sure why you insist on calling me Simato when you know I am a good-looking bloke called Simone ;)

Anyway... thanks for the comment, it is very relevant for me.

I have noticed looking at others pictures that mine tend to look a bit flat. At times is it because of the light under which I shot, but I have come to think it is mostly my lack of boldness in the editing process.
I tend to shy away from contrast, maybe too much, in an effort to retain control of shadows and highlights.
I have ditched all that has an Adobe badge on so no Photoshop for me. Currently I use Lightzone, which works in a completely different way and love it. It has great tools for controlling contrast and tonality both globally and locally, the limiting factor is me.

Many of the images were actually very contrasty - specifically dark land in the foreground relative to the bright gray sky. The third image was particularly bad. It is difficult for me to get the balance right in these cases, one has to flatten quite a bit the scene to make details in the foreground visible while not blowing out the sky.

Overall I am willing to admit that these images are ok, but not great. None of them will hang off the walls of my home. They were taken in relative haste while hiking in less than ideal light conditions. Also I find shooting in summer more difficult because in England is green and the images look much flatter than in the autumn or winter.

The first 5 pictures were taken close to each other in a place that has lots of potential and I will be going back specifically for taking photos, when light and season will be more favourable.
Simone Tomasi

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 13:58:01 »
At times is it because of the light under which I shot, but I have come to think it is mostly my lack of boldness in the editing process.

Sweetness -
It is exactly that (the light I mean) - Landscapes are nice when photographed in cloudy / overcast situations - as it removes the terrible shadows that comes with bright sunlight. But it can be too much. Not all of your images were flat - the second one and the last one were the ones I was specifically thinking about.
Too much contrast can be horrible, but lacking contrast makes it flat. The program you are using should be able to do a small contrast adjustment. If detail is missing on either side of the scale - (depending on the image of course) it is often a good idea just to correct it a bit.

At the end of the day - it is your image - and you decide where you want to go with it. Discussing it here though might open some doors for some members - while some people might not agree with me :) That's also fine  ;D
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

Mike G

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 14:03:11 »
Simone, I too use an X-T1 + 18-135mm which I find to be a cracking combination as a walkabout system, how do you find using the combo?

Regards

Mike

PS Forgot to say super images of a super place.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 14:09:36 »
Sweetness -
It is exactly that (the light I mean) - Landscapes are nice when photographed in cloudy / overcast situations - as it removes the terrible shadows that comes with bright sunlight. But it can be too much. Not all of your images were flat - the second one and the last one were the ones I was specifically thinking about.
Too much contrast can be horrible, but lacking contrast makes it flat. The program you are using should be able to do a small contrast adjustment. If detail is missing on either side of the scale - (depending on the image of course) it is often a good idea just to correct it a bit.

At the end of the day - it is your image - and you decide where you want to go with it. Discussing it here though might open some doors for some members - while some people might not agree with me :) That's also fine  ;D

Very nice split image to show the idea - and I agree your half looks more interesting.
Regarding the matter of overcast/diffuse light vs directly sunlit landscapes, it is not always as clear cut as you make it.
Your opinion may be affected by where you live and in that case I agree that bright light from a very vertical strong light source is not a good recipe.
But the grazing sunlight in autumn/winter, especially in northern countries, is special. It is soft and brings texture and colour out of the landscape even at hours that are far from sunrise/sunset. The maximum elevation of the sun in the Lake District at the winter solstice is 12 deg. Basically the whole (short) day is at the "golden hour".
Simone Tomasi

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 14:16:23 »
Simone, I too use an X-T1 + 18-135mm which I find to be a cracking combination as a walkabout system, how do you find using the combo?

Regards

Mike

PS Forgot to say super images of a super place.

Cheers Mike.

The 18-135 is optically the worst Fuji lens I have.
That is because the other lenses are so bloody good!

The 18-135 in itself is quite reasonable, especially stopped down.
It does most things reasonably well. Everything it does, some other lens does better, but no single lens can do as many things as the the 18-135.
And it is weather sealed, which means a lot to me if the weather is hostile and changing lenses is not something you would do happily and frequently.
I have shot with it in the Lakes and in Scotland in sub-zero, near blizzard conditions, and in driving rain, with confidence that it could cope.

In other conditions, I try to use other Fuji lenses to get the best quality possible.

Essentially for me it is a hiking lens. It could also be a travel lens if I traveled light, which I tend not to.
Simone Tomasi

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 14:30:31 »

Your opinion may be affected by where you live and in that case I agree that bright light from a very vertical strong light source is not a good recipe.
But the grazing sunlight in autumn/winter, especially in northern countries, is special. It is soft and brings texture and colour out of the landscape even at hours that are far from sunrise/sunset. The maximum elevation of the sun in the Lake District at the winter solstice is 12 deg. Basically the whole (short) day is at the "golden hour".

Very good point - my point of reference is what we have here. Deep shadows in the valleys/mountains can spoil our images completely.

Mike G

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 14:42:41 »
Certainly the lake district will test the WR quality of any lens. My copy of the 18-135mm is in my eyes is very good!

Every lens has its own characteristics, I also have the 10-24mm, 18-55mm, 56mm, 60mm. The 10-24mm is also a super lens. this is of course only my personal observations! One day perhaps I will get around to testing the lenses.

My old walkabout combo was Nikon D810 + 24-120mm, big and heavy as apposed to the Fuji combo, because i have to schlep around carrying the Nikon gear so lighter gear is a boon.

You are quite right the 18-135mm is a capable lens it ain't perfect but what lens is! 

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 18:19:51 »
Simone, they are beautiful landscape images!
Elsa is right about the contrast, however, if the image was low contrast when you shot it and you would like it to be as you saw it, then so be it :)
You always seem to go to nice places and I envy your enthusiasm about hiking to them :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 20:23:48 »
Simone - great landscape shots!

I like to shoot landscapes too. I've often found myself struggling with my "honesty" when processing but I increasingly tend to end up with something that is more emotional (or bold..) than honest - more contrast and shadows .. probably something I've taken with me from my film days.

I agree with Jakov - the images should convey your view. The following is just a few thoughts and reaction to the discussion.

In your first shot the light seems a bit hard coming from the side - my own approach wouldn't be to suppress this as such light imho contributes to the contrasts in the image and I would also let the sky stand out more bright.

The shot that Elsa commented on is tricky - shot at long distance and long focal length in such a weather.  It looks honest :) 
As for the rest, I do not find them flat - on my monitor they have a good balance. However, lots of green and different green nuances can probably give the impression of less contrast(?).   

I also have a Fuji (X-E1) and in the beginning (coming from a Nikon) I found the files to bee a bit tricky to process. A bit desaturated (or flat?) but after a while I got better results when I explored the default "film curve" in my processing tool (Capture One Pro) and took more control of the curve setting. In some situations I choose start with a "Linear response" and then use the curve to mould the light and contrasts in the image. I have only briefly tried LightZone and my memory says that it did not default to a "film curve" - it looked more similar to a linear response.   

I've also found the WB to challenge my perception of "correct" - the camera probably knows best but I allow myself some influence. I mostly shoot with film simulation "Provia" and in general I find the WB to lean towards cool.   

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 21:00:33 »
Simone, they are beautiful landscape images!
Elsa is right about the contrast, however, if the image was low contrast when you shot it and you would like it to be as you saw it, then so be it :)
You always seem to go to nice places and I envy your enthusiasm about hiking to them :)

Thanks Jakov, the first five images are taken from a very popular destination, a short hike on a very well maintained path suitable for families with children, admired for the picturesque views since Victorian times at least. This is to say there was nothing hard about it, I saw a pair of old ladies in their late 60's whizzing through it on their soft tail mountain bikes.

About the low contrast, it is not generally something I positively want to have, rather the consequence of me trying to get all the detail from the deepest shadows to the highlights. I still have to learn a way to do it in a credible way that does not look flat.
Somewhere something has got to give, I just have to find what and how.
In this search for a balance you, Lars and Elsa are right that whatever the look, if that is my choice so be it. I am still learning - the more photos I take the more it seems there is to learn - and looking at other people's pictures and talking with them is useful.
Simone Tomasi

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 21:17:33 »
In this search for a balance you, Lars and Elsa are right that whatever the look, if that is my choice so be it. I am still learning - the more photos I take the more it seems there is to learn - and looking at other people's pictures and talking with them is useful.
Just by discussing it here opens the mind of all members in some direction or another - thanks for giving us the opportunity to voice our opinions :)