Author Topic: Found a Noct...  (Read 33481 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Found a Noct...
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2016, 10:53:37 »
Noct-Nikkor Ai wide open
These are all more or less without any PP on Nikon D3

_EGL5183 by Erik Gunst Lund, on Flickr
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2016, 10:54:23 »
A popular trend appears to be using the Noct for close-ups. One gets butter smooth background and fairly detailed rendition in the plane of focus, though wafer-thin it might be.

A snap of Silene viridiflora, Slovenia; Df with Noct AI + PK-12 at f/1.2 and ISO 320. The character of the Noct comes out quite well. The addition of an extension ring, even so thin as the PK-12 (11 mm), has introduced some axial colour, though. Never think added extension cannot harm the quality because it is "glass-less". Forcing the lens to operate at conjugate distances for which it never was designed always adversely impacts image quality. However, in the case of the Noct, one starts at a very high level thus the slight reduction from the PK-12 is not detrimental.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2016, 11:17:38 »
NOCT is NOCT  :o :o :o
do not know if you guys realise it but there is a 20% increase in the price lately. being manipulated by the camera mafia ::)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2016, 11:22:54 »
Already own a couple of Nocts thus am not affected :D

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2016, 11:29:20 »
Here we have the Noct-Nikkor Ai stopped down to f/2 to give some dof to the face

_EGL9691 by Erik Gunst Lund, on Flickr
Erik Lund

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2016, 13:23:48 »
Here we have the Noct-Nikkor Ai stopped down to f/2 to give some dof to the face

_EGL9691 by Erik Gunst Lund, on Flickr

Excellent image!
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2016, 14:23:11 »
Colour and tone transitions is one of the points where the Noct-Nikkor and the 58mm 1.4 excels.

I have not see the difference to the Ais for this, have you tested this with identical scenes?
      Absolutely. AIS version looks a little bit more contrast/colored, even a hair sharper to extremes, but bokeh of old AI one was unbeatable. Yes, old AI version with its primitive today coating, is not able to deliver adequate color to sensors. 58  AFS 1.4 is the best on this respect, bokeh is fantastic, almost flat-fielded,  very low CA and distortions,  but its general softness is not what I like. This is a price for low distortions. Otus only and some Leicas have everything improved, but prices...  Please note it is my own opinion, I am not pretending to be the very last instance of truth, but it is working for me. LZ

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2016, 14:40:54 »
Thanks Michael!
Thanks for the clarification LZ!
Erik Lund

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2016, 14:49:02 »
If a person is not posting Nocturne images with the Noct, they're not taking advantage of its uniqueness.
I don't think it is as clear-cut as you put it. Even though, like you, I only own the 50/1.2, I can see that the Noct has a few things more that can be put to use creatively. I'm not buying a Noct because I think the price is inflated by collectors, but if I found a good deal on one, I would grab it without hesitation.

Thanks to everyone for contributing the nice image samples!
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

dslater

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2016, 15:50:35 »
Imparting quite high contrast wide open is one of the aspects one associates with the Noct. It also has a limited amount of focus shift. The curvature of field is a blade that cuts both ways as it prevents copy work of flat subjects (at the larger apertures at least), yet adds a nice 3-D feeling for more natural subjects.

A comparison of the Noct (AI) and the "Neo-Noct" in the near range (wide open f/1.2/1.4 and stopped down to f/2.8, respectively). Centre of frame, taken with D800.  The old lens has nothing to be ashamed of vs its modern cousin.

Indeed, to my eye, the both the Noct Images are sharper and have more fine detail than the corresponding Neo-Noct images.

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2016, 16:10:22 »
So, Airy, beyond the debate, did you buy it?

John Koerner

« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2016, 16:32:18 »
I don't think it is as clear-cut as you put it.

Few things can be reduced to a one-liner, I'll give you that.

Even though, like you, I only own the 50/1.2, I can see that the Noct has a few things more that can be put to use creatively. I'm not buying a Noct because I think the price is inflated by collectors, but if I found a good deal on one, I would grab it without hesitation.

There are plenty of "deals" on them right now, if you want a banged-up copy.

I searched the web and found this review right here to be the most modern and unbiased.

The reviewer is also the first to measure the Noct on Imatest, directly comparing it to the Neo-Noct.

Jack

John Koerner

« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2016, 17:02:30 »
I just posted the review on the 58mm f/1.2 Noct.

Here is the review of the 50mm f/1.2 Ai-S.

The reviewer is very enthusiastic about this lens also :)

Here are the Imatest scores of the 3 lenses (50mm f/1.2 Ai-S, 58mm f/1.2 Noct, and the 58mm f/1.4 G).

QUOTE:

END QUOTE

The results are clear: the Noct is peerless in center sharpness at the widest aperture.
(Its very low mid- and corner-sharpness are doubtless what create its unique look.)

The 50mm Ai-S is the weakest wide-open, but by f/2 it equals the 58mm G, and by f/4 the 50mm Ai-S is the sharpest of the bunch across the frame.

The 58mm is an also-ran, excelling at nothing, until f/8, where it is merely comparable to the others.
(Though it is "pretty good" wide-open, it does not equal the Noct, though its performance does appear more balanced.)

• The 50mm f/1.2 Ai-S is $700.
  • The 58mm f/1.2 Noct is $3,200+
  • The 58mm f/1.4 1.4G is $1600

Of the bunch, the 50mm f/1.2 Ai-S is clearly the best value, by far, beating both across the board from f/4 to f/11.

And the 58mm f/1.4G AF seems to be over-priced. It is midway between the 50 Ai-S and the Noct from f/1.4 to f/4, yet excels at nothing at any point, until f/8, where they are all fairly comparable.

In the end, the Noct does own the "wide-open" territory ... it is clearly very unique there.

The Noct's greatest performance lead over everything appears to be at f/2, in center sharpness only.

It is perhaps the great disparity in the Noct's center-to-corner sharpness wide-open that creates its character ... up to f/4 ... to the extent that those people who shoot in this range are willing to "pay to play" there ;)

Jack

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2016, 17:14:11 »
Pass once again...
1) bank account says "no way"
2) no confidence in selling boutique (boss tells B*shit to justify 3950€ price tag, proposes 3650 and a skylight filter (!?!), and then accepts 3000€ although not compatible with B*shit)
I should resell some stuff to finance this one, but most serious boutique would only accept against purchase of new equipment of at least the same value, and they got no Noct anyway. I have to find other shops.

I consider testing the 58/1.4 more deeply, may well fit my taste.
58/1.2, apart from its demonstrated qualities (see above), definitely has the better form factor and manufacturing quality.
Airy Magnien

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2016, 17:23:52 »
I hope to "find" a Noct someday, but buying one is out of the question :D