Author Topic: Storing Lenses  (Read 12007 times)

charlie

• NG Member
Re: Storing Lenses
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 04:03:12 »
Avoid dark storage places, as the absence of light (UV) combined with humidity is the ideal breeding environment for fungus.

All lenses are stored in dark places, unless you remove the lens caps.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 19:24:33 »
I think, but can not demonstrate, that humidity is the greater risk factor for fungus growth.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2016, 00:25:43 »
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2016, 01:13:42 »
Keith that is also my understanding. 

The UV components in sunlight can however be very helpful in killing off the spores that may in turn give rise to fungal growth in the event that the right growing conditions of temperature and humidity are present. 

It is a sad reality that there are plenty of fungal spores floating around inside most homes and buildings, but they only give touble if the growing conditions are right.

I think, but can not demonstrate, that humidity is the greater risk factor for fungus growth.
Hugh Gunn

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2016, 06:18:21 »
Keith that is also my understanding. 

The UV components in sunlight can however be very helpful in killing off the spores that may in turn give rise to fungal growth in the event that the right growing conditions of temperature and humidity are present. 

It is a sad reality that there are plenty of fungal spores floating around inside most homes and buildings, but they only give touble if the growing conditions are right.
My dream lens-containing device has regulated temp/humidity and bright lights built-in...maybe those dangerous short-wave UV-sterilization bulbs. Kill all fungus! (in lenses)

Peter

• "Remember You can only use one eye at a time"
  • NG Member
  • Los Alamos, New Mexico
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2016, 06:59:35 »
When I lived in Florida on the Gulf coast and did bird shooting in the marshes and mangroves I kept my lenses in my acoustic guitar humidor cabinet.
Another good thing that I learned from a seasoned photojournalist if you plan on keeping your lens stored for a long time close the aperture blades to the highest number.
I keeps the blades away from possible oil migration to the blades as well as keeping the spring tension at it's lowest.

chambeshi

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2016, 09:57:52 »
When I lived in Florida on the Gulf coast and did bird shooting in the marshes and mangroves I kept my lenses in my acoustic guitar humidor cabinet.
Another good thing that I learned from a seasoned photojournalist if you plan on keeping your lens stored for a long time close the aperture blades to the highest number.
I keeps the blades away from possible oil migration to the blades as well as keeping the spring tension at it's lowest.

Wise advice - thank you. I have been doing this for AI,AIS and D lenses for the spring tension - set to highest f-stop. And n v Good to know about reducing risk of oil on the blades :-)

kind regards

Woody

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2016, 16:43:15 »
The spring tension idea makes sense, yet I have never seen an old Nikon lens that had a tired or weakened aperture spring.  Has anyone ever seen this?

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2016, 19:06:03 »
As a ex reptile keeper, it would seem if a cabinet offering a controlled environment was required, the reptile market offers many reliable products to support environment control, A home built wooden box, with a glass front or top, a insulation could be used to aid temperature regulation.
A 12 Volt  Ceramic Heat Pad, Thermostat and a Hygrometer for reading humidity will be a very cheap to build solution. A used professional Herpetology model, could be purchased at a fair price. These are today usually a moulded insulated case, with sliding glass access panels, Heating and Humidity controls are usually built in as a 12 Volt System. A trolley could be used to mount it on, to make it a bit more transportable. How the lens could be made secure in the case should not create too much of a problem.     
John Gallagher

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2016, 19:47:46 »

Should be as for many years now all my lenses are kept in safes with controlled humidity and never had a fungus issue.
The safes are in total darkness when not opened, of course.

whatdoineed2do

• NG Member
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2017, 13:00:00 »
In the U.K. where it's not so humid, would storing lenses in aluminium flight cases/foam with some silicon packets be a problem/encourage fungus growth in your experience?

Having young kids running around, putting lenses out on shelves might just be too much temptation for them and too much crying from me

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2017, 13:20:03 »
The problem is well known and under control in Singapore, where heat and humidity are the daily norm.
People here keep their sensitive or valuable equipment in dry cabinets: lenses, small electronics, jewelry...
The best ones are like wine cellars and control temperature and humidity, the basic ones are simple boxes with silica gel pads. I have several of the latter and humidity is constant around 40% when outside it is around 80%. Based on what I hear, it should be good enough.

JKoerner007

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2017, 16:17:40 »
I keep my gear in a 600-700 lb Remington Gun Safe, with a closet dehumidifier on each shelf.

1. No one is going to steal them;
2. No moisture will affect them;
3. If there is an earthquake, they're not going anywhere;
4. If there's a fire, the safe is rated to withstand it (most cases).

All lenses 135mm and below stored face down, caps-on, as described by others. Long lenses sideways.

IMO, there is no better way to store your gear.

PS: When I get my 600mm FL ED, it will be stored in its case, standing up in the rifle section of the safe. There is plenty of room, as right now only a tripod and monopod occupy that section.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2017, 19:41:54 »
I put lenses wherever I can find a space for them. Which means they are scattered all over the house(s). No problems with fungus as far as I can see for a period of > 40 years.

Most lenses are stored "bottom up",  by the way. Don't bother about aperture settings and suchlike, I think it's more important a lens is being used for its intended purpose once in a while. A task which of course might turn into a challenge if the lens volume is big enough :(

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2017, 22:24:28 »
... I think it's more important a lens is being used for its intended purpose once in a while. ...

I agree with those who say use the lens and if that isn't happening then with those who say to exercise the lens. I think Bjørn mentioned lenses getting stiff above from lack of use. This is probably fairly common. If the lube isn't normal or stiff it may very slowly flow. Using normally or exercising may redistribute the lubricant and keep it from getting where it's not supposed to be like the aperture blades.

Excessive heat hasn't been mentioned. Most know not to keep a camera or lenses in the trunk or cabin of a car or truck but when on vacation or trying to save money by not using air conditioning heat may affect lubricants, flow and cause lube contamination of the aperture blades. Much of Southern California is hot and dry much of the year with cool moist winters. Houses with forced heat and air conditioning keeps the temperatures moderate and humidity low.

Foam cases: there are different kinds of foam. They can look the same, e.g. charcoal gray. Some can off gas and fog lenses. I remember no specifics materials used. Cheep cases and unknown sources may result in using the wrong foam and damage.

My 2 cents is...

1) Store most lenses face down with caps. Dividers that hold lenses in a drawer can help.

2) Telephotos if they can't be stored face down turn regularly.

3) Avoid high humidity (not usually a problem for me, inland So. California).

4) Avoid high temperatures. Maybe set air conditioning at 78*F (25.5*C) and pay the electric bill rather than lens repair. Cool only one area if heat and air is installed for this option.

5) Use approved foam in cases. Avoid any storage that may off gas.

I'm sure there are more conditions to use or avoid. Got to run.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!