Author Topic: TC 16A  (Read 7768 times)

ArendV

• NG Member
  • The Netherlands
    • flickr
Re: TC 16A
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 10:43:55 »
I have also used a modified TC-16A on the Nikkor 500/4P (sold years ago) and in my experience it was decent but the TC-17E II (and TC-14E II) were sharper in combination with the 500/4P.

Arend

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2016, 20:38:01 »
I have had a opportunity to offer a image captured by the TC 16A 500mm f4 AIP, of our Resident Kestrel.
I think I have put the TC 16A to its upper limit of AF performance in obtaining a focus on a subject in a difficult
environment.
The Camera is appoximately 70 metres from the tree base, the Kestrel is near 30 metres above the ground.
The view to the Kestrel is looking to the West, and the Sun is in the South slightly heading West.
So a lot of natural light on the Kestrel.
The aperture in the leaves is about 80 - 100mm and the Kestrel is positioned about 150mm inside the aperture.
I have done one High Pass Filter in CS6 at a 3.5 setting assist the sharpening.   
John Gallagher

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2021, 04:18:43 »
I am reviving a very old thread!

I was unaware this even existed, and was equally unaware about the modification - but I just saw this listed and bought it on impulse. Only now I am investigating how to use it  ;) ;) ;) ;)

Any idea what ‘Borg compatible’ might refer to?

https://www.mercari.com/jp/items/m62787542758/

Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2021, 06:47:27 »
I am reviving a very old thread!

I was unaware this even existed, and was equally unaware about the modification - but I just saw this listed and bought it on impulse. Only now I am investigating how to use it  ;) ;) ;) ;)

Any idea what ‘Borg compatible’ might refer to?

https://www.mercari.com/jp/items/m62787542758/

BORG recommends Pentax AF teleconverter for the Pentax users to turn their telescopes into AF teles.  The seller at Mercari offers this modified Nikon TC-16A for the Nikon users to do the same thing.  As you would know, the stock TC-16A was only compatible with the old film bodies like F3AF or F4, and cannot be used with later AF bodies, film or digital.

FWIW, these images of one of BORG Telescopes with Pentax x1.7 AF TC were taken from BORG's website.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2021, 07:59:36 »
Many thanks.

I am just blown away by such an ancient device being able to auto focus! I hope it can help me take control of the reflex nikkor 500mm.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2021, 11:48:48 »
Many thanks.

I am just blown away by such an ancient device being able to auto focus! I hope it can help me take control of the reflex nikkor 500mm.

Sorry to disappoint you, but the 1.6x TC will turn the f8.0 Reflex Nikkor into an f12.8 lens.  And thus any DSLR cannot focus the combo automatically.  I'm not sure if the modified TC-16A can function properly with the Z body/FTZ adapter combo.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2021, 23:38:30 »
I can see there is going to be a steep learning curve  :-\

thefool

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Foolography
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2021, 17:06:15 »
Sorry to disappoint you, but the 1.6x TC will turn the f8.0 Reflex Nikkor into an f12.8 lens.  And thus any DSLR cannot focus the combo automatically.  I'm not sure if the modified TC-16A can function properly with the Z body/FTZ adapter combo.

A bit late to the party, but as the original author of the modification, I thought I'd comment:
I originally made this modification exclusively to use on my f/8.0 reflex lens. So don't get talked out of trying it on yours - it works beautifully in daylight, just don't expect autofocus to work well as it gets darker ;-)

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2021, 18:52:55 »
A bit late to the party, but as the original author of the modification, I thought I'd comment:
I originally made this modification exclusively to use on my f/8.0 reflex lens. So don't get talked out of trying it on yours - it works beautifully in daylight, just don't expect autofocus to work well as it gets darker ;-)

Great!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2021, 19:06:37 »

Thank you for your correction.  My comment was based on the specification of Nikon's official website indicating that the AF in general only work down to f8.0.   But this seems to be yet another case for Nikon's conservative data.  And I forgot about the live view AF that might work on the lenses slower than f8.0.

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
    • Profile at Nature Photographers in Denmark
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2021, 19:27:32 »
I have a modified TC-16A that works quite well on my DSLRs. It will not focus with the FTZ since it uses the screwdriver-system.
Kim

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2023, 10:35:30 »
The Teleconvertor TC-16a  before modification.  It works standard on the Nikon D2x (and D2h)  on all lenses, also on the F3AF lenses:  AF 80/2.8 and the AF 200/3.5   

I am having it adapted to work on all DSRL Nikon camera's  (With an AF motor)

Konstantin Papadelis

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2023, 13:35:07 »
I did this conversion several years ago but have sold the converter since.

A small caveat regarding the "autofocus":

As Mongo said before, you have to pre-focus the lens. The autofocus range is relatively small, so you have to "lead" the lens manually and then achieve critical focus via the motor in-camera.

I had converted the TC for wildlife photography and long manual lenses, in which it failed me several times.
For this purpose, its just usable when your "target" is within a predefined zone (nest etc.) or moves perpendicular to the lens axis.

If I remember correctly, it was also not defined for lenses greater then 200 mm. The quality was relatively poor.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2023, 15:21:57 »
It works fine with my 500mm/f4 lens