Author Topic: Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?  (Read 117424 times)

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?
« Reply #345 on: April 16, 2020, 11:51:19 »
The attached image is also shot with CP 990 :-)    ...the real name seems to be E990.

Great pictures MEPER! Keep them coming!

I had the Coolpix 800 which I bought in Nagoya in 1999. I used it everyday at work for 2 years before trading it for the Coolpix 4500 which my friend still uses with his 950s on his Nikon microscopes for documentation.

I went for a walk today with another obsolete one - Lumix LX1 bought in Singapore. Fantastic lens, terrible usability but pictures not too bad for 8.4Mp and 16:9 mode native.

Shots from around my district - all in lockdown too

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #346 on: April 16, 2020, 14:12:34 »
Yes, I will keep posting when I have something I like myself.
I know the Coolpix series of cameras with swivel lens was used by museums as it was a very practical camera and it had for its time a good macro function for documentation (with built-in flash). And also the interface for microscopes was used. Maybe still used today by some museums as they are probably not the fastest to get new equipment.

The first picture of the closed playground above has very saturated colors so I guess a "feature" of the camera?

We have similar close down as the D5200 images below shows (35/1.8 DX lens used).

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #347 on: April 16, 2020, 14:20:07 »
…….but as you can see still some outdoor activities…….the playground below was not closed…..still obsolete D5200...…
Think I was playing with polarizer but I got problems with an "overexposed" look....then I set camera to -1 EV and everything looked as expected.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #348 on: April 16, 2020, 14:36:53 »
….and with 35/1.8 DX lens I have issues with back focus when I use viewfinder but with liveview focus is "spot-on".
Something I need to remember especially if I use large aperture. The D5200 has no "micro adjustment". Using lenses like 70-200 VR or 105 VR focus is "spot-on" using viewfinder. 35/1.8 DX is the only one I have with this issue......but don't know why.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #349 on: April 17, 2020, 11:55:58 »
A few images from yesterdays short walk with J5 and 18.5 mm. A very nice combination. A discontinued system so must be obsolete. The small sensor requires a good lens. I can see a clear difference between 10-30 images and 18.5 even that 10-30 has VR. 18.5 images looks a bit more "crisp". Next time I will experience with wide open shots using this lens.

The first image is just to show the time we live in...….a queue in front of a small shop (difficult light condition with interesting part in shadow). Rest is just what I found fun to shoot.

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #350 on: April 18, 2020, 17:48:13 »
JJ Chan, I don't know the LX1, but I do know and still own the LC1, which shuffles along on just 5 MP.  This is what "they" said back in 2004:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1
Published Feb 13, 2004 | dpreview staff
PMA 2004: Panasonic leaves it until the second day of PMA to launch its new DMC-LC1 Lumix camera. The 5-megapixel DMC-LC1 has a digital brain but the heart and soul of a finely crafted 35mm camera, right down to its controls. Zoom, focus and aperture are manually controlled by ring settings on the lens; shutter speed is controlled by a dial located on the top of the unit. The new DMC-LC1 incorporates a finely crafted, F2.0 - 2.4 Leica DC VARIO-SUMMICRON lens (13 elements in 10 groups) with zoom capability equivalent to 28 - 90mm on a 35mm camera. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1 is scheduled for March, 2004 delivery. It will have a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $1,599.00

When I read the above words and the rest of the mini review and saw the pix, I knew I just had to have this camera.  A year later I bought a lightly used copy, and it became my #1 camera until I bought my Df about ten years later. Now, in 2020, both are considered obsolete,  but I care not except  for the pride I have in possessing two ground-breaking examples of what for me are fine  digital cameras.

Peter Forsell

• NG Member
  • A Cunning Linguist
« Reply #351 on: May 11, 2020, 20:32:54 »
Can't get much more obsolete than a Nikon D1X. My daughter shooting some waterfowl a week ago with her obsolete D5100.

[/url]
20200503-DSC_2960b by foppa2011, on Flickr

The D4S has also been discontinued at least 5 years and just last week I learned the AFS 200/2VR II is also discontinued. Extremely obsolete stuff. Hopefully not categorized as toxic waste. This is from the last taekwondo competition before the lockdown. My daughter was very succesful and won the gold medal in adult female blue belt category, quite a shocker!! Here she's participating (in front) in under 13 pairs' patterns (poomsae) competition where she won the silver medal.

[/url]
20200307-_D4S1442b by foppa2011, on Flickr

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #352 on: May 11, 2020, 20:44:01 »
Can't get much more obsolete than a Nikon D1X. My daughter shooting some waterfowl.

The D4S has also been discontinued at least 5 years and just last week I learned the AFS 200/2VR II is also discontinued. Extremely obsolete stuff. Hopefully not categorized as toxic waste.

Well yeah, but if you liked their output before they were discontinued, why would you not like it now? I like it.  ;)
Carl

Peter Forsell

• NG Member
  • A Cunning Linguist
« Reply #353 on: May 14, 2020, 15:48:17 »
If we talk about DSLR cmaeras, the D1H is almost as obsolete as you can get in the Nikonland.  ;D

tramp1405b by foppa2011, on Flickr

tramp1405a by foppa2011, on Flickr

Peter

• "Remember You can only use one eye at a time"
  • NG Member
  • Los Alamos, New Mexico
« Reply #354 on: May 28, 2020, 08:30:58 »
I'm still using my D1x. shot with 180mm f/2.8 Ai-s ED..

Peter

• NG Member
  • Los Alamos, New Mexico
« Reply #355 on: May 28, 2020, 08:55:41 »
D1x using 18-55mm DX G kit lens.

Peter

• NG Member
  • Los Alamos, New Mexico
« Reply #356 on: May 28, 2020, 08:59:22 »
And the D2x with 35mm f1.8 G DX...

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #357 on: May 30, 2020, 00:01:30 »
Peter, I have been using that very same combo and I like it a lot! Today, D2X with 80-200 2.8 ed

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #358 on: May 30, 2020, 14:48:12 »
I'm still using my D1x. shot with 180mm f/2.8 Ai-s ED..

That is a pretty special image Peter

paul hofseth

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #359 on: July 31, 2020, 13:53:59 »

Using obsolete gear quite often, yes- mostly digital, but also some analog equipment

Obsolete in the sense of not being  oppressively  «modern» . Yes the «useful»features are present in my digital,  but not configured for use

"clever and theoretically work saving" ,but  in practice  useless,  bells and whistles remain  unused, if not entirely missing, on my digital Olympus pen-F

Examples of pernicious features that remain  unused when out snapping pictures: battery-sappingg and interference creating  internet ,and bluetooth connections.

Also of  limited utility, automatic distrortion correction of my perfectly distortionless  Leitz, Nikon  and Zeiss lenses. No  EXIF- recording of aperture&c (which I would never have looked at) since the lenses are manual and chipless (apart from the Leitz less functional Rom-chip)..

In adittion, , not only unused, but missing, GPS- reminding me  where I have been, in case I had left the  map  at home and had a severe  case of  dementia,  also missing is  20 frames per second capability  in case I would like to imitate muybridge and 8K videorecording. All this  is conspicuously lacking  even if I will never use it. My ancient Bolexes, Bealieus and Leicinas have  rested  in their drawers ever sice Kodachrome 2x8 and S-8 disappeared

I do without  autofocus that get sharp tree twigs far in front of or behind  the subject , so for film I still use the "obsolete" Leica R8 and its manual lenses.

I remain rewarded with unfocussed and malexposed  snaps from when subjects complain about me focussing and fiddling with exposure controls and not taking the time to  spotmeter thoroughly. Luckily, buildings and landscapes are patient.

Another outmoded device, one of my ancient Werras has only been excercized to judge its tessar and the Flektogon.

Recently I also recorded the local  climate demos with a Voigtländer Prominent II  dating from right before the first climate change worries were published (if you do not count professor Arrhenius over a hundred yesrs ago),  both with  Ilford XP with satisfactory results.

I have not yet excerzied my  first edition ( narrow mount) Practica . While  my complete series of Alpas remain safely stored, but in the past they were my usual very reliable  picture taking devices.

The useless and expensive frills of the current camera crop    can be dipensed with, as can the dim focussing screens and potentially unreliable and in the future unobtainable intyegrated cirquits  in  electronics that stabilized lenses, sensors and  fancy exposure systems and  autofocus requires. 

Facing large bills when developing films once I gave up doing it myself,  I have found that .Digital evices have a large economic advantage in use,  – assuming that - time, - computers,- their software, -ots of storage and backup plus  a 4k monitor comes free of charge

. My otherwise quite good  MFT Olympus pen F is a kind of  obsolesent machine in the sense that I am about to replace it  because  the Pen Fs center focussing enlargement and spot metering point keeps moving erratically when held firmly and using superglue to dissable the culpable button will make it impossible to set the stabilization.

The replacement ? A Nikon Z7, which is definitely full of expensive and unnecesary  junk « features», but where the focus and meterfing point stay put.