Author Topic: Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?  (Read 77142 times)

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?
« Reply #345 on: April 16, 2020, 11:51:19 »
The attached image is also shot with CP 990 :-)    ...the real name seems to be E990.

Great pictures MEPER! Keep them coming!

I had the Coolpix 800 which I bought in Nagoya in 1999. I used it everyday at work for 2 years before trading it for the Coolpix 4500 which my friend still uses with his 950s on his Nikon microscopes for documentation.

I went for a walk today with another obsolete one - Lumix LX1 bought in Singapore. Fantastic lens, terrible usability but pictures not too bad for 8.4Mp and 16:9 mode native.

Shots from around my district - all in lockdown too

MEPER

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #346 on: April 16, 2020, 14:12:34 »
Yes, I will keep posting when I have something I like myself.
I know the Coolpix series of cameras with swivel lens was used by museums as it was a very practical camera and it had for its time a good macro function for documentation (with built-in flash). And also the interface for microscopes was used. Maybe still used today by some museums as they are probably not the fastest to get new equipment.

The first picture of the closed playground above has very saturated colors so I guess a "feature" of the camera?

We have similar close down as the D5200 images below shows (35/1.8 DX lens used).

MEPER

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #347 on: April 16, 2020, 14:20:07 »
…….but as you can see still some outdoor activities…….the playground below was not closed…..still obsolete D5200...…
Think I was playing with polarizer but I got problems with an "overexposed" look....then I set camera to -1 EV and everything looked as expected.

MEPER

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #348 on: April 16, 2020, 14:36:53 »
….and with 35/1.8 DX lens I have issues with back focus when I use viewfinder but with liveview focus is "spot-on".
Something I need to remember especially if I use large aperture. The D5200 has no "micro adjustment". Using lenses like 70-200 VR or 105 VR focus is "spot-on" using viewfinder. 35/1.8 DX is the only one I have with this issue......but don't know why.

MEPER

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #349 on: April 17, 2020, 11:55:58 »
A few images from yesterdays short walk with J5 and 18.5 mm. A very nice combination. A discontinued system so must be obsolete. The small sensor requires a good lens. I can see a clear difference between 10-30 images and 18.5 even that 10-30 has VR. 18.5 images looks a bit more "crisp". Next time I will experience with wide open shots using this lens.

The first image is just to show the time we live in...….a queue in front of a small shop (difficult light condition with interesting part in shadow). Rest is just what I found fun to shoot.

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #350 on: April 18, 2020, 17:48:13 »
JJ Chan, I don't know the LX1, but I do know and still own the LC1, which shuffles along on just 5 MP.  This is what "they" said back in 2004:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1
Published Feb 13, 2004 | dpreview staff
PMA 2004: Panasonic leaves it until the second day of PMA to launch its new DMC-LC1 Lumix camera. The 5-megapixel DMC-LC1 has a digital brain but the heart and soul of a finely crafted 35mm camera, right down to its controls. Zoom, focus and aperture are manually controlled by ring settings on the lens; shutter speed is controlled by a dial located on the top of the unit. The new DMC-LC1 incorporates a finely crafted, F2.0 - 2.4 Leica DC VARIO-SUMMICRON lens (13 elements in 10 groups) with zoom capability equivalent to 28 - 90mm on a 35mm camera. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1 is scheduled for March, 2004 delivery. It will have a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $1,599.00

When I read the above words and the rest of the mini review and saw the pix, I knew I just had to have this camera.  A year later I bought a lightly used copy, and it became my #1 camera until I bought my Df about ten years later. Now, in 2020, both are considered obsolete,  but I care not except  for the pride I have in possessing two ground-breaking examples of what for me are fine  digital cameras.

Peter Forsell

• NG Member
  • A Cunning Linguist
« Reply #351 on: May 11, 2020, 20:32:54 »
Can't get much more obsolete than a Nikon D1X. My daughter shooting some waterfowl a week ago with her obsolete D5100.

[/url]
20200503-DSC_2960b by foppa2011, on Flickr

The D4S has also been discontinued at least 5 years and just last week I learned the AFS 200/2VR II is also discontinued. Extremely obsolete stuff. Hopefully not categorized as toxic waste. This is from the last taekwondo competition before the lockdown. My daughter was very succesful and won the gold medal in adult female blue belt category, quite a shocker!! Here she's participating (in front) in under 13 pairs' patterns (poomsae) competition where she won the silver medal.

[/url]
20200307-_D4S1442b by foppa2011, on Flickr

CS

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #352 on: May 11, 2020, 20:44:01 »
Can't get much more obsolete than a Nikon D1X. My daughter shooting some waterfowl.

The D4S has also been discontinued at least 5 years and just last week I learned the AFS 200/2VR II is also discontinued. Extremely obsolete stuff. Hopefully not categorized as toxic waste.

Well yeah, but if you liked their output before they were discontinued, why would you not like it now? I like it.  ;)
Carl

Peter Forsell

• NG Member
  • A Cunning Linguist
« Reply #353 on: May 14, 2020, 15:48:17 »
If we talk about DSLR cmaeras, the D1H is almost as obsolete as you can get in the Nikonland.  ;D

tramp1405b by foppa2011, on Flickr

tramp1405a by foppa2011, on Flickr