Author Topic: FM-2n and Diopter correction  (Read 5516 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
FM-2n and Diopter correction
« on: June 15, 2016, 17:51:59 »
Aerobat's FM-2n I bought is still in the post but it already
got me thinking: How will I shoot it?

I bought some prepaid non reusable chemical sensors to do some
whacky experimental stuff with them. I also have some very decent
MF glass to draw light structures with photons. Plus a lot of not so decent...

Yet it just crossed my mind that my biological light sensors
are seriously challenged and the FM-2 might not have any means
to compensate for that but insanely expensive screw in lenses.

Help! Please...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: FM-2n and Diopter correction
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 17:59:54 »
You might need diopter lenses for the ocular, Frank. If I recall correctly, the finder is set for -1 dioptri which is the Japanese norm. It has no further means of direct adjustment.

I just checked with a pristine FM2 sitting in my cupboard and I definitively need my reading glasses to see anything in the otherwise nice, bright finder. Do put an eyecup on the ocular to save your spectacles from being scratched.

charlie

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 20:00:06 »
Provia 400, so sad to see that one go.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 20:00:30 »
I am +2.5 so do I need a +3.5 correction lens then? Or do I need a screw in rubber plus reading glasses?

screwin'rubber ..... hahahaha
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 20:07:38 »
Try without glasses first.

The reason they put in -1 as a standard is the need for seeing both finder information, and ground-glass image, reasonably sharp at the same time. Thus the inherent focus of the system is at 1 m, explaining the -1 dioptre setting. People have different ability to accommodate their eye sight thus a practice test is recommended before you commence the screwing-in of any attachment lens(es).

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 21:00:59 »
And where do I get the rubber and the correctional glass elements ... just in case ...

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 22:07:01 »
Rubber eye cup is standard Nikon accessory - ask your dealer. They should also be able to supply the dioptre attachments for the ocular.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 06:16:10 »
Bjørn's advice to try in person is highly advised, because Nikon has a peculiar naming convention for their eyepiece diopters.  The diopters are named for the net camera finder  +  diopter value, not for the diopter value of the lens by itself.  If you want to shoot using your spectacles, by all means test while wearing them.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 07:08:23 »
I'd definitely try it out first.  I am comfortable reading at 2.5 to 3.5,  but find a +1 diopter about right on a Nikon viewfinder.  Stacking two +1's on top of each other is too much.  At one point I ordered a +1 for my F3HP, and KEH accidentally included a +3 along with it, and it's totally unusable.

Figure what diopter you'd need to see a computer screen from a meter away, and that's pretty close to what you need in a correction lens.

I've gotten a couple of these things used from KEH.com.  Some of the newer diopter rings have a rubber rim that's a bit heavier than it used to be.  Nikon's own chart is confusing.  There are actually only two thread sizes made - one for the earlier Nikon Photomics and Nikkormats, through the non-HP F3, and one for the HP F3 and subsequent models with threaded eyepieces.  Any other differences are in ring design, not threads.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 10:29:50 »
Confusing. I prefer NOT to wear glasses because I cannot see anything with them except in the very near field

Computer Screen 1 Meter is roughly +1.5 to +2.0

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 16:31:39 »
Confusing. I prefer NOT to wear glasses because I cannot see anything with them except in the very near field

Computer Screen 1 Meter is roughly +1.5 to +2.0

In theory, the Nikon "0" diopter or the Nikon "1" diopter should accommodate your vision.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 16:57:13 »
My eyesight is still good at large distances, but not at the 1m virtual finder distance (-1 diopter) anymore. For the old Nikons without built-in diopter adjustment (including a FM-2n) I bought +1 diopter screw-in eyepieces from EBay. Problem solved. Note that the diopters for the Fujifilm X-Pro1 (still available as new) will fit the FM-2n.

abergon

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 19:29:30 »
There is also the nuclear option: laser eye surgery. I am writing from personal experience.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 19:42:04 »
Nono. It is reading glasses. And it is a non laserable aneurism. Laser simply is no solution in my case.

But. I ordered a +1 Nikon Diopter brand new from Japan at 20 Euros incl. Shipping.

I studied the Nikon documentation on that topic on service nikoneurope eu

hope all will be worth the effort in the end.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 23:52:18 »
Nono. It is reading glasses. And it is a non laserable aneurism. Laser simply is no solution in my case.

But. I ordered a +1 Nikon Diopter brand new from Japan at 20 Euros incl. Shipping.

I studied the Nikon documentation on that topic on service nikoneurope eu

hope all will be worth the effort in the end.

The +1 should work for you if your eyesight is (still) good at infinity.

You will find out that on the FM2 the 35/1.4Ais gives the impression of a much bigger lens. No (MD11/MD12) motordrive??