Author Topic: Cleaning the 1000mm Reflex-Nikkor  (Read 2284 times)

Edgy01

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Cleaning the 1000mm Reflex-Nikkor
« on: May 30, 2016, 02:49:38 »
Have had my 1000mm Reflex-Nikkor for a number of years.  I have also used my late model 2X telextender on it quite successfully.  But I have noticed that I have some dust which seems to get in easily with this design.

Is there a simple (or relatively simple) way to get inside to clean elements, or the mirrors?  Which lenses or mirrors are the more influential upon imagery quality if dusty?

TIA,

Dan

dslater

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Cleaning the 1000mm Reflex-Nikkor
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 16:11:27 »
Just remember, unlike the coatings on lenses, the aluminum coating on the mirrors is extremely fragile and easily scratched. If I were you, I would limit cleaning of the mirror surfaces to nothing more than blown air, or possibly a very soft brush if absolutely necessary.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 15:52:12 »
Good Advice!

Just remember, unlike the coatings on lenses, the aluminum coating on the mirrors is extremely fragile and easily scratched. If I were you, I would limit cleaning of the mirror surfaces to nothing more than blown air, or possibly a very soft brush if absolutely necessary.
Hugh Gunn

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 16:08:27 »
http://lenscleanservice.com/index.php?QBlog-20151118-3

too give you an idea ::)

a different lens, but construction should be the same. :o :o :o

have you tried the vacuum cleaner approach?

Edgy01

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 23:01:42 »
I have not tried any methods yet.  I can see how the design can literally suck dust laden air into the mechanism.  I think I'll have to take the front mirror off to gain access to blow off the surfaces, o to vacuum out the internal workings.

Thanks

Dan

Netr

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 00:41:15 »
Hello. I have just received a very nice condition Nikkor 1000mm f/11 lens. It came without the focusing handle. 

Does anyone know what thread is used for the focusing handle?  It is clearly less than the 1/4" tripod mount, but i don't have any suitable small bolts to do trial and error with.

Thanks, Ross

Netr

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 01:40:51 »
Replying to my own question.  A 5/32" bolt will fit roughly, but the thread spacing seems wrong.  A 4mm bolt seems to screw in smoothly, and that is what I will use.

These old lenses take on a new lease of life with the ability to use focus peaking and the simplicity of increasing the contrast, either at the time of capture or in post-processing. Still needs a tripod.

paul hofseth

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 09:24:33 »
I would be extremely careful not to dislodge are anything in a catadioptric lens; since the light path is folded 3 times tolerances   must be 3 times more carefully observed

p.