Author Topic: Nikon 1 AW1 - the little mirrorless that goes where others can't  (Read 115802 times)

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Re: Nikon 1 AW1 - the little mirrorless that goes where others can't
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2015, 03:03:34 »
Short of using the somewhat expensive wireless transmitter and a smart phone (which I do not have), has anyone found a wired remote release solution for AW1 that works? It does not support IR transmitters. The only possible connector is a mini-USB-B (like that present on many USB2 hard drives).

Øivind Tøien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2015, 03:46:54 »
Short of using the somewhat expensive wireless transmitter and a smart phone (which I do not have), has anyone found a wired remote release solution for AW1 that works? It does not support IR transmitters. The only possible connector is a mini-USB-B (like that present on many USB2 hard drives).

Using a socket should spoil the waterproof property of AW1.  A bracket with the cable release like this may work:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%A8%E3%83%84%E3%83%9F-E-6205-ETSUMI-%E5%86%99%E7%9C%9F%E7%94%A8%E5%93%81-%E3%83%AC%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BA%E4%BB%98%E3%83%96%E3%83%A9%E3%82%B1%E3%83%83%E3%83%88/dp/B003N632XU

Websit of the manufacturer (ETSUMI).  It is currently out of stock on its web shop:

http://www.etsumi.co.jp/html/products/detail.php?product_id=504

According to the manufacturer, this adapter can be used with a camera with the hight up to 80mm.  AW1 is well within its range.  The farthest position of the release button is not indicated.  The bracket cannot mount it on the tripod(head) (that's silly!).  But both problems should be able to be solved by some modification.

Similar products can be browsed here:

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=%E3%82%B3%E3%83%B3%E3%83%91%E3%82%AF%E3%83%88%E3%82%AB%E3%83%A1%E3%83%A9%E7%94%A8%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%83%96%E3%83%AB%E3%83%AC%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BA&lr=lang_ja&hl=ja&tbs=lr:lang_1ja&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjj0p-g0bTJAhWIlJQKHUQGDlkQsAQIYw&biw=1287&bih=702
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2015, 05:18:59 »
Interesting contraption, although not exactly what I had in mind.

It reminds me of a remote I once made for my Nikonos IV to photograph fish under the ice. It was hydraulic - an alcohol filled tube with a syringe in each end, one of the plungers were cut off to work as the actuator for the shutter release.

Of course an electrical wired remote would break waterproofing; not a concern for astronomical or other land operation that makes use of a sensor with high pixel density.
Øivind Tøien

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2015, 21:08:12 »
I had thought before about the missing remote release for the AW1 and the last few contributions to this thread have got me thinking.
Unfortunately I cannot read the name of the product that Akira linked, but the concept is clear in the images and an DYI solution should be straightforward is all that is desired is a mechanical release.
Searching for Akira's linked product revealed some DYI jobs like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/danilokrahl/8560122908

and this:
http://www.angelfire.com/ga2/photo/bracket.html

Not specific for the AW1 but it does not matter.
Just wanting to have some fun (not sure how much I would actually use the thing) I have rummaged among the various bits and bobs I have and have nearly completed a similar one at zero cost. Mine even has a QR plate :)
I just need to attach to the bracket a nut for screwing in the mechanical release and it should be ready. A picture will follow when the job is done.
Simone Tomasi

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2015, 22:05:18 »
This was my standard tripod setup for my Nikonos V with the fabulous UW-Nikkor 15 mm f/2.8. A sturdy L-bracket helped keep the camera firmly anchored to a tripod (Sachtlers don't mind being submersed) and provided a fixing point for a cable release. One could use "remote control" in form of a pneumatic release of course. 

When used in the sea, after the session completed one had to soak the cable release thoroughly then ensure it dried completely if rusting and subsequent malfunction was to  be avoided. I practice I brought a handful of cheap knock-offs and used them as long as they worked reliably.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2015, 23:59:49 »
Unfortunately I cannot read the name of the product that Akira linked, but the concept is clear in the images and an DYI

Not specific for the AW1 but it does not matter.
Just wanting to have some fun (not sure how much I would actually use the thing) I have rummaged among the various bits and bobs I have and have nearly completed a similar one at zero cost. Mine even has a QR plate :)
I just need to attach to the bracket a nut for screwing in the mechanical release and it should be ready. A picture will follow when the job is done.

Simone, the product I linked is called, as I wrote, bracket with cable release.  Nothing fancy.  :)  ETSUMI is the name of one of three photo-accessory manufacturers along with Hakuba and U.N.  E-6205 is the product code, but apparently it is being discontinued.

I don't have AW1, but I, as user of Olympus E-M5, share your frustration of not being able to use a remote release without opening the USB cover or relying on Wifi.  I don't like the general tendency among the camera manufacturers of eliminating IR remote functions.

I'm looking forward to seeing the result of your DIY!

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2015, 01:19:38 »
Thanks for the links Simone.
Bjørn, you got some pretty nice machining work there.
While I initially did not think in the direction of waterprrofness (just wanted a quick solution for moon shots etc.), I have started to think of Tom Kline's salmon stream work. A longer remote would be needed. Instead of a cable release, perhaps a hydraulic link could be used, with a cylinder like these as actuator: http://www.clippard.com/products/cylinder

Øivind Tøien

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2015, 17:03:02 »
hydraulic probably isn´t the easiest way to go

to "transport pressure" in a system, the softness and flexibility of the  hoses are relevant
if you take soft hoses, they will eat the pressure by widening and they will
not allow a timely defined trigger pressure, what means you shot or you shot not at the right moment
if you take "hard" hoses to avoid this, it will be heavy, unflexible and not easy to mount on site
for a shop mounted version with predefined lenght, the lightest "hose" would be
break fluid tubes for cars, or this plastic hoses  (4 and 6mm) for industrial pressurized air
Thomas Stellwag

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2015, 20:52:52 »
I'm looking forward to seeing the result of your DIY!

Here it is then.
It has taken me some time to find the time to sit and take a few shots.
I blame work and family life :)

Anyway...
The result is quite ugly to behold, but it works.
I don't care that the result is not nice to look at and too big. It does what it is meant to do and it did not cost me a penny. Everything that were used was already in my home and it required no tools.
With more thought, time, and better parts bought specifically with this project in mind a better DYI job could certainly be done, but that is not the point for me.
I would expect one could use this thing underwater. The bracket will not suffer in the water. The cable release might rust but it is so cheap that it could be regarded as essentially disposable.

Simone Tomasi

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2015, 21:59:59 »
Looks very functional!  Thanks for sharing!

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2015, 09:56:23 »
Indeed a true 'workaround'  :D
Erik Lund

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2015, 10:01:45 »
Great to see technical creativity at work here Simone!

hydraulic probably isn´t the easiest way to go

to "transport pressure" in a system, the softness and flexibility of the  hoses are relevant
if you take soft hoses, they will eat the pressure by widening and they will
not allow a timely defined trigger pressure, what means you shot or you shot not at the right moment
if you take "hard" hoses to avoid this, it will be heavy, unflexible and not easy to mount on site
for a shop mounted version with predefined lenght, the lightest "hose" would be
break fluid tubes for cars, or this plastic hoses  (4 and 6mm) for industrial pressurized air

There is a big difference between the pressure required to stop a car or mountain bike and that for pushing the shutter release of the AW1 (watch out for poking holes in that shutter release button if the car break approach is used.  ;D  ). And already hydraulic brake cables for bikes are pretty thin and much more than needed. I would agree though that if the intention is just a release at proximity to the AW1 to avoid shake, a hydraulic solution is probably over-engineering.
Øivind Tøien

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2015, 12:37:41 »
@ Ovind

I am quite aware of this, we are speaking about 1/10´s or 1/50´s of a bar for releasing the shutter with 1N and this is exacly what I said.
If you normally release your shutter you have dead time from your" system", then the system of the camera. But pushing on camera might be 04s, you might need 08s, so your picture will be taken roughly 1s after you wanted to have it. If you now have a system, that is not reliable transporting signals, then it is even worse.
You have to many possibilities to get wrong signals or interferences in the (elastic hydraulic)  line, not foregtting that the outside pressure may vary by 1.5 bars according to the dive deep of the AW. ( The car tubes are protective shield against ouside interferences.)
maybe now it is clearer what i meant

Thomas Stellwag

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2015, 12:59:14 »
Any news/solid rumors/predictions on where Nikon is going with mirrorless?

I think we would all love a light APS-C sensor in a Nikon 1 or smaller package that can natively mount F-mount lenses (or at least with a very small adapter).

Will this ever happen?  Or does it undercut the D5000/D7000/D400 DSLR market for Nikon?

One can only hope....!

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2015, 13:30:08 »

One cannot just put an APS sensor in a Nikon 1 body. The image circle of the lenses would not cover it nor would the mount be suitable. So there is no hope of such evolution of the 1 system. It would have to be an entirely new system or just an F-mount based system without the mirror. Just enjoy the 1 system for what it is and its special properties that differ from DX and FX.
Øivind Tøien