Author Topic: digitising film  (Read 68317 times)

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
Re: digitising film
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 21:53:42 »
Photo of a color negative with the D800, Sigma 150mm macro, and a flash
Original capture
and processed result in CNX2
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 22:28:09 »
Nice result. A kind of warm glow (with reds). Was it an old negative?

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 20:19:03 »
It is probably more cost effective to send slides or negatives out to be scanned than buying your own scanner unless the intent is to scan huge numbers of film images.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 23:26:14 »
Nice result. A kind of warm glow (with reds). Was it an old negative?

taken around 1994, depends on what you call old :)

the post processing involves reversing the light curve and then fixing the white balance, which  is problematic at least for me, so ... any color cast is subjective
Armando Morales

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 09:47:20 »
Amando, the resulting image is better then what some of the dedicated negative scanner software does. Which programs did you use to find to this result? I never found a satisfying way to adjust white balance in Photoshop (using CS5)
Buddy

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2016, 19:47:08 »
Buddy, Armando stated that he used CNX2 and inverted the curve. I've done the same with negatives in Lightroom and while it works it should be noted that it can be a frustrating process. Since the image is a negative with an inverted curve all of the adjustment sliders work in reverse. The highlight slider changes the shadows of the image, black point slider changes the white point, etc. Not an intuitive process, but then I guess most scanning software is not very intuitive either. 

I suppose you could invert the curve then process the photo out and re-import it to get 'normal' functionality of the program again.

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2016, 20:43:48 »
Very nice indeed Armando - is it a 1:1 macro setup?

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2016, 15:50:18 »
Hello, everybody! Thanks for the input!
I am getting comfortable with digitising my strip film with my camera. I may need to add a blue gel to my flash next time to help negate the orange hue which is hard to clean up in post :o :o :o

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2016, 16:07:14 »
a little bit of progress :o :o :o

that's it. it's Tri-X or XP2 from now!

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2016, 19:37:33 »
Looks like you are getting OK results...difficult with color neg film.  The monochrome will be easier.
Also, if you are using ACR/Lightroom, some have stated that the tonality/color adjustment using curves works better in Process 2010 than the modern Process 2012.  Seems that 2012 has behind-the-scenes adjustments happening that 2010 doesn't have.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2016, 19:43:39 »
Nice progress Richard

Very nice indeed Armando - is it a 1:1 macro setup?
Yes, or very close to 1:1 I used the Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro
Armando Morales

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2016, 22:40:10 »
Sorry for the late reply, but yes .. film strips(what I had for my testing) .. and mounted singles too(my parent's slides).

The film strip method on the PS-4 copy attachment is easy and quick to use and takes a few seconds(10-30 or so) just to line up the frame nicely.

I have a slide scanner option in my V370 which has a 4 slide attachment that clips into the lid.
It takes more time to do a considerable(say a 24 exposure) batch lot on the scanner than it takes to set up the PB-4+PS-4, configure the lighting, set exposure for the camera and then finally process those images from neg to colour.
I used the same process as Armando in CNX2, and created a batch process and applied it to the images.
From there as already said the annoyance of using opposing tweaks(brighten to darken and so on) on the colour images.

The only thing I don't have as yet is an appropriate 50-ish mm close up capable lens of semi decent quality that is a perfect fit for the PB-4.
In the end the only lens I had available to me to do my project was my Tamron 28-75/2.8! :p
It didn't do too badly tho and ultimate sharpness wasn't an issue(film grain was too coarse to see any more detail than the Tamron could resolve anyhow).
It just happened that I had a filter adapter needed to reduce the Tammy's 67mm thread down to 52mm to suit the bellows clip on the PS-4.
And the ability to zoom a little here and there for framing and focusing helped too.

Anyhow, it was all fun and interesting to play with .. and my biggest regret was the knowledge of the eventual loss of the old slides .. all thrown out due to mould.
Arthur

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2016, 13:15:43 »
hey, guys!

been perfecting my workflow but it really is not easy
i am getting better result now as you can see from the picture but it is still nowhere near what I wanted :o :o :o

i am still using this setup mounted on any of my 55mm lenses and the D750. while the preparation is tedious, once you got the tripod set and the whole thing going, taking photos is very fast.

as was suggested, i fiddled my RGB curves following some tutorials from the net and now I am getting better results. they are far from perfect but at least they look better than what I had initially.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2016, 13:30:47 »
i have the PB-4 and the BR-2. maybe i can improvise. One thing i failed to mention is that i am using crappy 400 superia hahaha

The Fuji Superia 400 was a very good film. I did big prints up to one Meter on the longer side.

very great colors and nice grain structure. Loves to be overexposed by 1/3rd of a stop.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2016, 06:03:12 »
Hi, Frank!

The PS-4 is out of the budget for now :o :o :o