Author Topic: Hello from Mozambique  (Read 2097 times)

jd1566

• NG Member
  • Catch the light
Hello from Mozambique
« on: April 12, 2016, 11:48:09 »
Hi all,
A big hello from Mozambique, where I've been a Nikon shooter since 2008.  Before that it was Canon that had a nasty accident and precipitated a change to Nikon.  I'm really agnostic about the whole issue as both have their relative strengths, but I really appreciated the D700 full frame camera and how it made me feel like playing with a film camera once again.  Now I've upgraded to a D810 (via a D600...) and finally feel that digital has caught up with film.. 32asa lowest ISO, a burst rate that's longer than a 36 roll of film and image quality that is truly breathtaking.  So yes.. life is good... It's taken 16 years to get here, since I ditched film for digital in 2000, but we finally have all the pieces of the puzzle in place.  The price of top pro bodies have not gone down though.. with the problem being that they don't "last" as long once the new release is out.. But I'm not one to complain.  My D700 lasted over 4 years and besides the relative downgrade to the D600, I'm feeling comfortable again shooting and expect the D810 to last many more...  As for my shooting, I enjoy portraits and street shooting as well as wildlife, so have a long telezoom as well as a bevy of primes in MF and AF.   50mm seems to be my most used focal length, then 24mm, and then beyond 200mm for the long stuff.

Cheers,
JD

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Re: Hello from Mozambique
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 11:55:25 »
JD welcome to our community.
I am really looking forward to seeing your images from exotic Mozambique!

Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 11:57:43 »
JD, Welcome to the site.  Wow, love to see some images of  Mozambique. People, wildlife , well anything you choose to share  :) .   Never been there, tried a couple of times.  I still have a D700 that just keeps turning out fine images but there are some big pluses to the newer models.

Many folk from all over the world here but I think you are a first from  Mozambique  :)
Enjoy yourself here.
Cheers,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 12:15:11 »
Welcome to NikonGear ;)
Erik Lund

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 13:20:41 »
Mozambique. Wow. I have no real idea about that state and hope your pictures will show us what this place is about. You, your words and photos are most welcome here!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 13:51:02 »
Hello JD, welcome to Nikon Gear... :-) I hope we'll get to see some pictures from Mozambique !
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 13:56:12 »
The more the merrier. Most welcome to our community on the 'net.

We up here in the high North would love to learn more about your country and its scenery and people. Quite sure it is different on the surface although people's minds tend to be remarkably similar world wide.

jd1566

• NG Member
  • Catch the light
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 15:19:21 »
Hi all,
Thanks for the warm welcome.  Hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures of Mozambique soon, so you can get a sense of the place.  In terms of wildlife we have an elephant reserve a few hours of dirtroad away from the capital, Maputo, although after a 16 year long civil war the big game is not fond of human contact (despite the war being over since '92).  Up north there is the great Gorongosa national park, once home to over 300 lion! Sadly that place was devastated and all that you could find were birds and malaria but thanks to a philanthropist the park has been stocked with animals from other parks and is returning to it's former glory.  Sadly fighting has errupted nearby again... Let's hope it doesn't last as long as the last spat.

As for street photography, lots of opportunities in our overcrowded capital, although being quick, silent and unseen are key.  I'm looking forward to the faster autofocus of the D810, as my D600 was rather disappointing in that regard.

Cheers,
Mario (also known as JD)

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 15:42:55 »
Welcome, you certainly have opportunities for photographing wildlife there :) Looking forward to seing some of your pictures.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 16:53:45 »
Finally another person from my continent:)
welcome
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 16:58:50 »
Elsa, we all come from your continent one way or the other  :D
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 17:26:50 »
Elsa, we all come from your continent one way or the other  :D
then move over closer :)
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Thomas G

• NG Member
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 23:28:01 »
Welcome! Looking forward to what you might show about your country.
-/-/-

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 15:38:43 »
Welcome! As many others, I too look forward to hopefully seeing some of your shots.
Jørgen Ramskov