Author Topic: Nippon Kogaku No 225392 Micro-Nikkor Auto 1:3.5 55mm  (Read 27667 times)

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
Re: Nippon Kogaku No 225392 Micro-Nikkor Auto 1:3.5 55mm
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2016, 14:05:19 »
Bruno Schröder

chambeshi

« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2016, 16:03:11 »
Exactly.   

Is the second one to the left really a 'p' version?  It looks like the older Micro-Auto NKJ

End of last month, I was pleasantly surprised to find a 55 f3.5 in Cape Town for the equivalent of US$53. Optically perfect, the focusing mechanism superbly smooth, and with expected exterior wear. And it's been AI converted, so working wonderfully on D7200. No phillips screws secure the mounting bracket when viewed face on, just lateral inside the rebates. There's the single screw securing the aperture ring in its side, and 3 secure the focusing ring. All metal construction

With S/N 194305 manufacturinf date is 1963-65. So can anyone tell me if this is an NKJ model please?

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2016, 21:57:17 »
I can't view your picture from where I am, but from the description your lens is early, from 1963-65 as you say.

NKJ is an abbreviation for "Nippon Kogaku Japan", your lens will have this engraving on the name ring inside the filter ring. This engraving is found on Nikon lenses up to about 1970 when NKJ was replaced by "Nikon".

If you really meant to ask if your lens is a compensating model, the answer is yes. You can see this clearly - with the lens focused at infinity and the aperture at f/5.6, look at the aperture blades through the front lens. Now focus the lens all the way out and observe how the aperture blades open, to compensate the the increased extension.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2016, 23:21:18 »
I prefer the older versions myself so it is well worth the efforts to get it AI-modified. Also an easy lens to CPU-modify if you remove the aperture compensating lever. The latter not necessary for the CPU as such, but the aperture compensating mechanism thwarts the metering results.

Do I presume I'd just take the aperture compensating lever out and the lens becomes a G-type?

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2016, 23:23:47 »
Hugh. The Df ruined the prices. Good for Haves bad for Have-nots...

Yes but some of us like to have a large collection of lenses. Not a petting zoo, just many choices. I've probably stopped collecting manual focus lenses except some special purpose ones.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

chambeshi

« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2016, 09:02:53 »
I can't view your picture from where I am, but from the description your lens is early, from 1963-65 as you say.

NKJ is an abbreviation for "Nippon Kogaku Japan", your lens will have this engraving on the name ring inside the filter ring. This engraving is found on Nikon lenses up to about 1970 when NKJ was replaced by "Nikon".

If you really meant to ask if your lens is a compensating model, the answer is yes. You can see this clearly - with the lens focused at infinity and the aperture at f/5.6, look at the aperture blades through the front lens. Now focus the lens all the way out and observe how the aperture blades open, to compensate the the increased extension.

Sorry, i failed to upload the photo using the menu tool. While I'm probably being dim, it's not clear how to do this on this forum

Yes, the engraving in my 55 f3.5 does indeed identify it as NJK. As you described, I just checked the compensatory action; the contrast in the mechanism stands out beautifully when compared to my 55 f2.8 AIS and 70-180 Micro-Nikkors. Impressive.

Delighted with finding a solid example of this infamous Nikkor at a decent price, and to put a historical gem to work :-) No less an Optical Maestro than Nikon's designer Haruo Sato singled out this 55 f3.5 as standing tall among the early Nikkors that work well with the top FX cameras (not least the D800)

Many Thanks for this clarification

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2016, 18:27:24 »
Do I presume I'd just take the aperture compensating lever out and the lens becomes a G-type?

Dave
It's a very long fork that runs along the whole lens inside at an angle, you must replace it with a straight slit fork.
Or reuse the fork by cutting it up and switching the two parts.

Better to buy a non compensating type,,,,
Erik Lund