Author Topic: !DAILY UPDATES! April. 366 days: your 2016 in photographs  (Read 60219 times)

the solitaire

• NG Member
Re: !DAILY UPDATES! April. 366 days: your 2016 in photographs
« Reply #330 on: April 29, 2016, 10:28:35 »
This jpg has been converted with PN so no profile used

i generally stay away from the very wide end of the 17-35

on automatic profiles use them sometimes

Just dropping in here, enjoying the photographs and all. Fons, I took the liberty of saving both images to my desktop and comparing them. By the looks of it the profile you used to correct the rectilinear distortion on the image made things worse. The PN converted JPG looks a lot better. I think something might be wrong with the correction profile used, at least at the 17mm end of the lens. With the correction applied the image almost looks like it was taken with a full frame fish eye rather then a rectilinear corrected wide angle.

There is some distortion with the 17-35mm, and it is a lot more compared to the 14-24 which I owned and used extensively for some years, but looking back I still wish I had bought a 17-35mm back then instead of the 14-24.
Buddy

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #331 on: April 29, 2016, 11:50:48 »
Exactly my point ps automatic profile makes matters worse at least on the wide end of the 17-35,
question may be how to deal with this type of barrel, moustache distortion with wide end lenses.

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #332 on: April 29, 2016, 12:13:30 »
Moustache is a pain. I can only think of trying to correct that in photoshop. With my limited knowledge that would mean individual correction for each photo taken.

Barrel distortion should not be that difficult to fix though, but I would try to deal with that manually in Lightroom and set up my own correction presets there including the rectilinear corrections. Especially after seeing the results you got from the downloaded profile.

The reason I mention lightroom is because that is the software I use for most of my editing. I have no experience with Photo Ninja, Nikon NX and only had a brief encounter with DXO. I do think that each of these programs will let you do the corrections manually and when done you can save the settings to a preset file of sorts

I can very well imagine that it will be nescessary to set up different presets for different focal lengths because the amount of distortion differs so greatly within the zoom range of the 17-35.

I mostly use primes, and with the selection of primes I own there is little need for extensive rectilinear correction. Vignette correction on some. The only lens where I really need rectilinear corrections is the 55mm f1,2 Nikkor-S.C which displays quite severe barrel distortion
Buddy

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #333 on: April 29, 2016, 12:17:18 »
Hi Joost, you are invited to take part in our daily photo workout. Most welcome. Real fun to train one's eye by the day and free some time to take & edit the shot. A daily meditation
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #334 on: April 29, 2016, 12:30:49 »
Here are two from this morning:
1) janitor
2) public space

You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #335 on: April 29, 2016, 13:33:09 »
Ten I got some flowers in the rain as a topic:
Frank - the last shot (flower by sidewalk) is super awesome.
Anirban Halder

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #336 on: April 29, 2016, 15:25:51 »
Frank - the last shot (flower by sidewalk) is super awesome.

Glad you like it!

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #337 on: April 29, 2016, 20:54:04 »
Hi Joost, you are invited to take part in our daily photo workout. Most welcome. Real fun to train one's eye by the day and free some time to take & edit the shot. A daily meditation

This is something I so often wanted to find the discipline for. Most of the time I even carry a camera with me. Will see if I find something noteworty today then :)
Buddy

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #338 on: April 29, 2016, 21:27:24 »
April 29th 2016  Still very cold

Supermarket parkingplace

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #339 on: April 29, 2016, 21:31:58 »
This is something I so often wanted to find the discipline for. Most of the time I even carry a camera with me. Will see if I find something noteworty today then :)
Everything is noteworthy ;) 

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #340 on: April 29, 2016, 22:20:26 »
Everything is noteworthy ;)

True, but it takes some practice to frame things right. Wish I had a flash with me in this shot to light up the car from the far right outside the frame

DSC_7466 by b j, on Flickr
Buddy

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #341 on: April 29, 2016, 22:28:28 »
Still on the road
Bruno Schröder

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #342 on: April 29, 2016, 22:39:13 »

For me in the beginning I though: impossible

Then I started to go back, open the door, get one of my many canmeras and lenses and .... voilà: did it.

On some days my pictures suck. But I do not give up.

The rules are: you do not have to do it every day. BUT: IF you do it every day you will become a better photographer no matter where you start.

I guess I missed two days since the year started on 1/1/16 ... a little secret ... on lazy days I take the X100T ... on days I do not want to take a shot ;;;; I might take my phone.

discipline?

No. I just believe in the method: training, training, training ... and not being afraid of taking bad shots sometimes.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #343 on: April 29, 2016, 22:44:28 »
True, but it takes some practice to frame things right. Wish I had a flash with me in this shot to light up the car from the far right outside the frame
Beautifull Blue. 
Yes, a daily picture is a challenge. In my experience, and I shoot daily a lot, it's the selection of the photo, the framing, and the whole post-processing which are rather difficult.  Many, many times I looked back, and saw a lot of things that should have been different, and better. If I had a day extra time to take some distance. But that's also part of the fun and a learning process.

Apart from the joy to see the great photo's of others who are contributing here, and face of course the same problems ;)

- Life on the streets, just after the rain -

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #344 on: April 29, 2016, 22:47:11 »
John: You have (#338) a talent for moments in life, in work, deep in reality .... you often show things many would not take notice of ... Why? beacause you feel these things have to be shown and noone normally takes the effort to show them.

Has anyone had a look at my profile in Flickr, ever?

Quote from: Frank Fremerey link=URL=https://www.flickr.com/people/ngudu/
I create worlds with words, pictures and sound.

If you love one-trick-ponys you are in the wrong place.

Gespür für Licht - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver

You are out there
You and your camera

You can shoot or
not shoot
as you please

discover the world
your world
show it to us

or

we might never see it

PS: nikongear.net is the one place on the net to distribute pictures and thoughts like these.

Thank you, Bjørn Rørslett and many others!