Author Topic: Geared Heads For Tele Work  (Read 17545 times)

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Geared Heads For Tele Work
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2016, 05:58:42 »
for what you want, the key is very sturdy legs that are suitably braced. Anytime you raise the head on a geared head system, you create instability no matter how good the tripod claims to be. To have a tripod perform suitably the way you want to use it, the tripod would have to have a largish size of components, very accurately machined and probably a mass that would not be comfortable to carry around. The head is not the problem necessarily - it is in the telescoping central member most likely and secondarily, possibly, the legs.

Frankly, you would be better off always sitting the head hard up against the top seat of the tripod (i.e in a completely untelescoped position), have good sturdy tripod legs and vary the height of the lens by raising and lowering the tripod itself or by extending or lowering the tripod's legs. Of course, wherever possible, keep the legs as short as feasible and spread as far apart as feasible and braced at least against each other.

This has been Mongo's experience and 2 cent's worth.

bjornthun

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2016, 13:46:26 »
I can't justify a very expensive Sachtler head for my use, but I remember one advice I got and that I have followed: Don't buy a tripod with a center coloumn, and if there is one don't use it, as Mongo says. The legs of the tripod must be long enough for the intended use without relying on a center column. That has worked well for me, and it actually makes a tripod easier and faster to deploy and use, I think. The tripod becomes much more enjoyable to use this way.

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2016, 14:07:37 »
Indeed the needs are different, and I have to say that even the Gitzos series 3~5 are good choices they cannot stand along the Sachtlers or similar.
I use Cartoni ones. They are like the Sachtlers but not so expensive and much easier to find and service around here.
My recommendation always go to the ones with 100mm bowl, carbon legs in two stages, quick lock and on top a fluid head rated at least to 12Kg.
If the shooting will occur in lighter environments, where speeds are expected to be on the high side (please consider high on big lenses >1/500s) a series 3~4 Gitzo with a gimbal head could do the trick
Don't make shorcuts here...

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2016, 05:53:09 »
Yes, I fully realize I need a better tripod, but I also must have a geared head - non-geared ball heads, gimbals, etc. are not an option for what I do.
My current 405 geared head is clearly where most of the flexure in the system I currently have - makes no sense to get a much heavier tripod and not fix the geared head issue and vice versa.

Thus, as the post title says, I just want to talk about geared heads and not tripods at the moment.

Some have suggested I not use a leveling base, but that's typically not an option either as I need to rotate about a pretty vertical axis and using the tripod legs to achieve accurate leveling is typically impractical.  I currently use a 438 Manfrotto leveling base, but if someone has a suggestion for a better leveling base I'm all ears.

I also indicated I only extend the center column when I have no other choice, which is rare and clearly is very prone to low frequency low damping oscillations, but sometimes that 5 ft. fence is just in the way!

Based on the on-point responses my options for a geared head system seem limited and expensive, which just may be what I have to suck up and purchase due to lack of options.  Folks in other forums have suggested I look at heavy duty geared alt azimuth telescope heads as they may be more suitable for my needs, though they may be quite heavy - fortunately I don't have to lug my gear that far.

I do in fact own a medium duty alt azimuth mount that does well with a 1,000mm Mak, but have not used it due to needing plate adapters, etc., but I may give that a try.  The matching tripod is unbelievably heavy and stiff and not practical to transport.

Thanks!

john
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2016, 07:38:41 »
Yes Simone Bjørn cut down/off the unneeded leg length, my Gitzo's are also cut down,,,

I am curious how one practically  go about cutting down a CF tripod tube and getting it remounted/reglued  to the part that forms the hinge. I imagine the CF fiber being too brittle to be cut by a hacksaw?

Often when I have evaluated tripods I find that the 3-section ones are too long for my travel needs while the 4 section ones get too short if one limit to extending only two of the 3 extendable sections. (So I have so far stuck to my rather minimalistic second hand 3-section Gitzo Reporter performance 120 with center column removed - for up to 300mm use, but sometimes with a TC attached - a pretty low tripod, but in between the two above-mentiioned collapsed sizes).

A comment on John's  initial requirement, not sure if it has been commented above:
"So I'm looking for something that's as adjustable (and easily flippable between portrait and landscape orientation) due to the gearing, but is much more solid/stiff than the 405."

I do not see why one would want a flippable head when using long lenses as they usually come with a rotating tripod collar, and the flipping mechanism (where the platform, not the main axis flips) is typically an inherently weak and unstable point.
Øivind Tøien

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2016, 10:27:06 »
Hi John,
The only geared head to work with big tele that I endorse is the Cube
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1029552-REG/arca_swiss_8501003_1_c1_cube_geared_head.html

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2016, 12:06:57 »
I am curious how one practically  go about cutting down a CF tripod tube and getting it remounted/reglued  to the part that forms the hinge. I imagine the CF fiber being too brittle to be cut by a hacksaw?

I have cut them in the other end, toward the ground, there is no need for a long thin leng, the innermost. then you re-glue the end piece with the inside 3/8 UNC threads.

A Dremel and mask will do it ;)
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2016, 12:13:38 »
This is what I end up with on top of the Burzynski for panning as the last thing before the camera/lens
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/PC-PRO-Round-screw-knob-panning-clamp

Here it is on/inside a Series 5

Bjørn, Jakov; here are the new stainless steel knobs for the Burzynski

Stainless steel knobs Burzynski Ball head by Erik Gunst Lund, on Flickr
Erik Lund

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
    • Profile at Nature Photographers in Denmark
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2016, 17:24:29 »
Erik,

Looks great! Is the integrated dovetail base on the RRS panning clamp removable? Or did you make some special surgery?

How did you get the stainless steel knobs for the Burzynski?

Kim

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2016, 17:41:17 »
I'm finally getting upgraded to Super-Burzynski ... how great is that ??

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2016, 18:08:33 »
Yes Erik, yes!
I love the knobs!  8)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2016, 18:21:35 »
My clap is an old one that came without dove tail,,,

I'm happy you like the new Knobs ;)

They are called: DIN 6335-NI-32-M6-E

6335 - Four arms
NI - Stainless steel
32 - Ø diameter in mm
M6 - thread
E - Open out end for 'captive' screw so you don't loose it ;)

You need special 4mm captive screws with ø 5.5mm heads, I have made extra for you Jakov and Bjørn.

Brd. Klee is the Danish supplier.
Erik Lund

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2016, 21:10:22 »
I always dreamed of being in possession of DIN 6335-NI-32-M6-E four arm stainless steel knobs  8)

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
    • Profile at Nature Photographers in Denmark
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2016, 17:54:22 »
How about an exclusive club for DIN 6335-NI-32-M6-E and Burzynski owners?
Kim

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2016, 18:48:41 »
Kim, I support your idea :)