Author Topic: Geared Heads For Tele Work  (Read 17544 times)

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Geared Heads For Tele Work
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 22:58:51 »
The Sachtler ENG 2 CF HD is 4 kg, the ENG 2 CF is 2.4 kg, and a cut-down (for travels) Sachtler DA-75 is 1.2 kg. All can support a 600 mm lens.

Sachtler DA-75, is that the one Bjørn Jørgensen was using in Lofoten at the get together in September 2011?
I don't remember whether that is aluminium or carbon fiber - maybe both versions exist...
And what do you mean by "cut-down", a smaller model, some part removed or actual cutting down?
Simone Tomasi

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 23:10:26 »
You could also just use Manfrotto 438 Leveling Base as ball bead if it's stable enough, I don't know it,,,

The more close you are with the lens to the base. the part with the legs attaching to, the more stable the set up is.

When you get a new tripod you can eliminate the leveling base,,, only used for gimball if in a hurry or for video heads.
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 23:12:22 »
Yes Simone Bjørn cut down/off the unneeded leg length, my Gitzo's are also cut down,,,
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 23:16:59 »
DA-75 exists in a number of versions as to number of leg sections (2 or 3) and material (carbon fibre, aluminium). Plus there is a special 'Speedlock' version as well designed for people in need of rapidly setting up or taking down the tripod.

i have several cut-down editions of the DA-75, for use under special scenarios, for travels, and so on. Plus of course the original DA-75L, DA-100, ENG 2CF, and ENG 2CF HD.

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 23:17:33 »
Sachtler DA-75, is that the one Bjørn Jørgensen was using in Lofoten at the get together in September 2011?
I don't remember whether that is aluminium or carbon fiber - maybe both versions exist...
Yes, I use the DA75L (aluminium) for all my outdoor photography. It is lightweight (just below 2 kg), can take all kinds of weather and climate, can be submerged all the way to the head in sea and sand with no need for cleaning afterwards, is incredibly quick and efficient in use, and two spikes under each leg ensures it is rock stable on any surface outdoors. I use it with a RRS BH-55 ballhead - a perfect match for the tripod.

I don't use supertelephoto lenses, but I guess a 600mm is too much even for the DA75.

(I also have several Gitzo carbon tripods, but frankly - they are rubbish  ;D .  I use them for indoor work, I don't trust them outdoors in our arctic climate.)
Bjørn Jørgensen

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2016, 23:22:45 »
A 600 mm lens needs dampening almost more than anything else. You simply cannot make a "stiff" enough rig with normal working height to hold it in place unless use of materials comes to near ridiculous proportions. Do note we are discussing use of such a lens for long exposures, not for shooting birds or sports. There is a world of difference in the requirements for these applications.

A Gitzo class 5 is sturdy, but much heavier than any comparable Sachtler. Even then its use in snow, mud, or water, is questionable. It comes into its stride under civilised situations such as indoors or studios though.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2016, 23:24:14 »
Thanks both Bjørn and Erik.
I am sure I will pick your brains again the day I finally decide to go for it.
In the meantime, no superteles means my tripod is not pushed beyond its capabilities.
Simone Tomasi

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2016, 23:31:26 »
Bjørn J you seem to have a lot to learn about engineering and field work regarding Gitzo Series 5
Erik Lund

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2016, 23:56:24 »
Both Bjørns are Sachtler men as I recall. And there I was in Lofoten with my tiny little RRS Ground Pod. I wonder if I could mount my Wimberley on the Ground Pod?

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2016, 00:04:00 »
The force of this site is that we are many people with different types of equipment for different jobs, sure RRS makes now some very fine tripods as well, the series 4 seems to be suitable for the job, only problem is they use too many leg sections, 4 and 5 - RRS is very much focused on how tall you are, and collapsed height for transport, not so much about what is the most stable for the lens in use,,, a bit wrong IMHO.

One of the major issues with large lenses is twist around the vertical axis, many designs do well in that regard,,,
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2016, 00:05:16 »
Both Bjørns are Sachtler men as I recall. And there I was in Lofoten with my tiny little RRS Ground Pod. I wonder if I could mount my Wimberley on the Ground Pod?

Most stuff can be attached to any tripod given they support 1/4" or 3/8" screws.

Bjørn J

• NG Member
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2016, 00:05:28 »
Bjørn J you seem to have a lot to learn about engineering and field work regarding Gitzo Series 5
I have the largest, biggest and horribly expensive Gitzo 5 (I think it is 250cm high fully extended). It is sturdy and stable enough, but like all my Gitzos I don't use it much outside. I would never submerge it in saltwater or in deep snow or sand, and the twist locks tend to get stuck, and they are so much slower and inefficient in use than the Sachtler locking system. Not to mention the stupid and fiddly locks for spreading the legs!!
You are right I don't know much about engineering, but I know the difference between a good and a bad tripod when I use them  ;D
Bjørn Jørgensen

Bjørn J

• NG Member
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2016, 00:10:19 »
Well, the Ground Pod may be tiny, but the quality is typical RRS! Please mount the Wimberley on it , put on a huge lens and post a photo of the setup  ;D
Bjørn Jørgensen

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2016, 00:20:12 »
Well, the Ground Pod may be tiny, but the quality is typical RRS! Please mount the Wimberley on it , put on a huge lens and post a photo of the setup.

If only I had a huge lens, I would do that.  ;D
My current largest lens is the 70-200/4 AF-SED VR. Small but nice.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2016, 00:24:07 »
My Series 5 is only 3 sections and only about 150cm tall if full extended, there is the stability.

The ball head is locked down inside the base for stability.

A video tripod is not designed for a ball head so it needs to sit on top via a leveling base or a bolt through the base, not the same stability and heavier.

The lover leg of the Sachtlers are single tube very small diameter on most versions even the big carbon fiber ones, quite useless for preventing twist so cant be used extended, just adds weight for the bracket and extra lock,,,
Erik Lund