Author Topic: Turn for the unexpected  (Read 6989 times)

charlie

• NG Member
Turn for the unexpected
« on: April 05, 2016, 02:21:59 »
A select from a musicians shoot for their upcoming EP.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Turn for the unexpected
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 02:25:42 »
Red and black together as the only colours always create a strong emotional impact.

I feel the red background perhaps is on the dark side. It might not print well to separate the front figures? Also ensure the red colour itself is well within the printing gamut or you could get some nasty surprises later !

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 03:59:34 »
It is intriguing and I found myself making up stories about them.

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 06:07:03 »
Beautiful image!
-Tristin

charlie

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 08:17:20 »
Thank you for the input.

I feel the red background perhaps is on the dark side. It might not print well to separate the front figures? Also ensure the red colour itself is well within the printing gamut or you could get some nasty surprises later !

Yes, I see what you mean. Some areas where their shadows meet their silhouettes are lacking defined separation. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll look into adjusting it. It seems to view a bit better in photoshop/lightroom on the darker work spaces than here on the web browsers bright interface. Maybe my eyes are fatigued, or my monitor is to bright.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 08:37:41 »
Overly bright monitors have been the bane of many otherwise excellent photos when they are to meet their printer. The prints will come out too dark if you adjust them to look perfect on such systems.

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 09:35:27 »
Mongo agrees with Tristin - it is a fabulous image. Subject to Bjorn's concerns about how it will finally look in print, Mongo loves it as is provided that is how it prints. The red is very suitably vibrant with great texture brought out by black tones within it. The silhouette in true black is very effective against the vibrant red background. Lastly, the two subjects, although in full silhouette, are posed in such a way that they still have a remarkable degree of animation and emotion. Excellent work.

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 10:16:25 »
Love the picture, but as stated by others I would print it to see how it comes out on a front lit surface. The print is the evil stepbrother of monitor rendering.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 10:30:47 »
Charlie, I love the suspense in the image that you portrayed!
Which band/musicians are we talking about?

I have the same problem with bright monitors. Sometimes a photo looks perfect, then I post it here and it ends up too dark. It would have been even darker if I had sent it for printing.
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

charlie

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 21:25:50 »
Here is a reworked version. I've brightened the shadows as well as the background itself to give the silhouettes more definition.
It is a delicate balance between brightness, contrast, vibrancy, and keeping detail in the reds.

I have the same problem with bright monitors. Sometimes a photo looks perfect, then I post it here and it ends up too dark. It would have been even darker if I had sent it for printing.

Yeah I have that same problem with my website seeings how it uses a white background also. It seems the actual image brightness doesn't change from Lightroom to the web browser but the perceived brightness does because I'm in a dark room looking into a bright screen vs a dark screen and my eyes adjust. I've always figured it was tricks my eyes were playing on me and not technical issues with equipment.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 21:39:50 »
The reds are, at least in this sRGB-version for web, dangerously close to being out of gamut for CMYK printing. You need at the very least get the appropriate profile from your printer and observe if the reds survive into print before the deed is actually conducted.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 21:59:40 »
I love the idea.  I also like the way the contour of the figures are clearly rendered.  I cannot comment on the print, but I like the revised version better.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 22:06:05 »
I think I like the first version better (and I like it very much). A darker mood suits the sceen well, at least on my uncalibrated screen...
I am a bit bothered by the apparent hump in the woman's back although I understand it is her shoulder...

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 22:09:32 »
Beautifully done!
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 22:12:46 »
As the thread starter, Charlie,  indicated the image is to be printed, unfortunately preferring a given web version over another is moot. The question is how to get the image printed so match what one expects from it. Saturated red colours are not easy for printing and one may see significant alterations in rendition from the monitor view.