Author Topic: Turn for the unexpected  (Read 6957 times)

charlie

• NG Supporter
Re: Turn for the unexpected
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 22:21:39 »
The reds are, at least in this sRGB-version for web, dangerously close to being out of gamut for CMYK printing. You need at the very least get the appropriate profile from your printer and observe if the reds survive into print before the deed is actually conducted.

Clearly I am not practiced in the art of printing. Is keeping an eye on the CMYK values and making sure they stay under 100% the aim here?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 23:48:14 »
Use your printer's dedicated profile and look for out-of-gamut areas of the picture.

You will notice the reds tend to be paler and less bright in CMYK. Do not attempt to counteract this by pumping up the red saturation as this will only exacerbate the issue further.

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 01:23:12 »
Mongo completely understands Bjorn putting us back on track as to the original purpose for this thread. However, whilst that is most important, Mongo could not help but re-look at the image given Olivier’s experienced eye and passing comment about the woman’s back. Looking at it again, and without being able to see the direction of her arm connected to that shoulder, it does have the possibility of looking like a hump or awkward. This becomes more apparent when comparing the original image to the same image without a “hump”.  Mongo has done this very roughly and quickly for comparison purposes only. The comparison has not been posted because Mongo is not aware of your “edit permission” and because of the serious nature to which this original image may be put. However, would urge you to consider this aspect of the image if you feel it warranted.

In any event, it is still a strikingly excellent image.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 01:27:45 »
Well that is a possible but probably not intended interpretation. Any ambiguity can be removed by having a little light along the arm so it won't merge with the body shape itself. Probably can be traced as a lighter line along the arm contour directly from the original photo or a brightened layer made from it. This contour line need not be wide not particularly bright, as long as it solves the perceptional doubt that might exist

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 01:47:12 »
Very good alternative suggestion Bjorn if Charlie does consider this to be an important aspect of the image.

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2016, 21:42:29 »
I loaded the printing profile and soft proofed the picture, it turned out that there was in fact some out of gamut areas in the background. I don't know that they will use this particular image or not for their art work, but thank you Bjørn for the warning, I will pay closer attention to these details moving forward.

As for the hump on her back I hadn't even thought of it, probably because I have in mind the outfit she was wearing which made the hump. Thanks Olivier for pointing that out and Mongo & Bjørn for your thoughts on it, and everyone else for their input.

Here are a couple more sans silhouettes

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2016, 22:20:19 »
The last double portrait has a wonderful sinister atmosphere about it. almost like she is showing us the trophy, a beheaded male.

Probably not your intended interpretation for sure, but my immediate perception of the picture.

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2016, 22:36:55 »
Yes, and the disproportion betwenn both heads in this last image makes it even more striking.

Sorry for bringing up this hump stuff, it is actually a minor point in at picture that I like a lot!

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2016, 23:06:59 »
Striking shots.
The red-white-black color set reminds me of the 'white stripes' where it had been used successfully.
The first and the last picture are unique, the last is standing out in it's ambiguity.
His scar and her wrinkle tie them close for me.

Id like to see this as cover image. It would print great on a LP.
-/-/-

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2016, 00:19:33 »
Glad you posted these. Mongo is fascinated by the amount of character and potential in the faces and personalities of these two subjects for photographic work/album cover.

The silhouette and these versions are very good. In a perfect world you could have one as the front cover and the other as a smaller rear cover shot....???

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2016, 00:20:58 »
Beautiful portraits!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2016, 00:39:42 »
Charlie,
The last image is just wonderful  ...you can read many messages it is so strong. Bravo!

Have you considered a square crop  ...LP cover.

Cheers
Bez

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2016, 12:21:09 »
I really like these a lot, both types of images work even together,,, Impressive.
Erik Lund

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2016, 00:38:50 »
Thank you for your thoughts.

The last double portrait has a wonderful sinister atmosphere about it. almost like she is showing us the trophy, a beheaded male.

Probably not your intended interpretation for sure, but my immediate perception of the picture.

The emotion of the shoot moved through quite a bit of territory in a short amount of time as far as the interaction between them went, from playful to protective to this more sinister scene. The sinister ended up being my favorite from the shoot, it was intended to some degree but perhaps not to the extent of a beheading   ;)

Charlie,
The last image is just wonderful  ...you can read many messages it is so strong. Bravo!

Have you considered a square crop  ...LP cover.

I have tried it as a square and it works though it is a bit tight so I prefer the rectangle. I suppose I could make a square version with more breathing room if need be.

For what ever reason when album art is involved I find myself talking different approaches to post processing than I would normally. Here is another version of the sinister portrait above, mirrored. I don't think it has quite as strong an impact as the original but I enjoy it nonetheless.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2016, 00:41:45 »
The "Salome" image looks great!  Love the idea and the execution (a bit of pun intended)!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira