Author Topic: How do you recommend presenting your printed work?  (Read 3867 times)

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
How do you recommend presenting your printed work?
« on: March 26, 2016, 16:05:19 »
I know we use online images a lot now, but if you've ever displayed your own prints,
or seen someone else do it really well, can you share your tips & advice here?

Please include approaches that help with
- Different types of lighting in the room esp. strong light from windows etc
- Different tones, contrast, highlights/dark tones in the image
- Different types of subject matter???
- Glass in front, printed straight onto metal etc
- Framing options
- ???

You get the idea!

This question came up in a separate thread and Bjorn suggested I start anew one for it

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
Re: How do you recommend presenting your printed work?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 16:18:12 »
In case you were surprised by the second item above, have a look here
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/press/a-celebration-of-the-independents-unique-photography-a6951956.html

I was surprised to see this newspaper say this when they launched in 1986

"Black and deep shadows showed up well on the heavier paper we printed on (compared to most other UK newspapers). That meant we could do away with flash, operate less intrusively and produce work that was observational, real and honest"

An interesting statement, based on what the end results like when printed.
Makes you realise the importance of all steps in the start-finish process.

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 16:36:52 »
I have quit framing photos behind glass, it was too much work to get the glass 100% clean, and the reflections bothered me. Reflection-free glass is available, but very expensive.
Now I laminate the print (a thin plastic film with adhesive on top of the print) and then glue it onto a 5mm foamboard. The laminate is UV-resistant and protects the print, and it can be wiped with a moist cloth. The foamboard stabilizes the print. I normally frame the laminated print in a thin, matte black aluminium frame, but a suitable wooden frame can also be used. I think this gives a minimalistic look, enhancing the photo itself.
Bjørn Jørgensen

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 17:34:55 »
Bjørn, a question: is the lamination with the plastic film considered to be "archival"? Can that film ever be removed? Also, please, what glue do you use for the foamboard? Do you spread it all around?

I have never done mounting and framing myself. I've always taken them to a framing shop.

My framed prints are on foamboard with mats, aluminum frames and UV-blocking glass. Very, very few of my own prints or the prints I collect get framed and hung. However, I am getting new UV-blocking windows for the house next month, so I will now be able to hang more photos without worrying about UV damage.

Sometimes I display a photograph on a music stand instead of hanging it. You can set the angle and height of the music stand for good viewing.

Stored prints (mine and from other photographers) are kept in an archival box. Each print is between sheets of archival paper for protection.

I'm planning to get a very large binder with sleeve pages so that I can more easily look at some of the prints in my "collection". It is not feasible to frame and hang everything.

(I'm almost sorry I started my little collection of prints from other photographers because I just don't know what I will do with all of them someday.)

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 17:54:47 »
Another key issue is the colour of the surround.  These three images are identical, but the progressive darkening of the surround changes perceived contrast (from Allen & Triantaphilidou, Manual of Photography, ed 10, Focal Press):

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 18:52:47 »
Last month I sold some prints and I am always nervous when I get them delivered. Will they turn out the way they are rendered on my screen? This time they did absolutely perfect work! For the first time, actual people had made an effort to make them look their best. I have had two exhibitions and both times I ended up going to the place were they did the printing to make sure they did there job right. I consider myself a photographer and not a skilled printer. I can do my own printing but not to perfection so when I pay a professional to print the files I have perfected I expect nothing else than the best.

In my humble experience I have found that people want a simple and clean print to hang on their wall. So for me there is no passerpartout and frame. So I have ended up with this print to offer to clients http://www.fotoworld.no/plakater-og-fotolerreter/galleritrykk.html . I´m sorry its in norwegian, but I guess you get the idea :)

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 20:21:30 »

I object to glass being placed in front of a displayed photo print. 
The glass is guaranteed to make the print less visible and less enjoyable for the viewer.
Frames are nice, mattes are nice, proper illumination is really nice, but glass....not so much.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 00:22:18 »
Bjørn, a question: is the lamination with the plastic film considered to be "archival"? Can that film ever be removed? Also, please, what glue do you use for the foamboard? Do you spread it all around?

I have never done mounting and framing myself. I've always taken them to a framing shop.

The laminate is probably not "archival" in museum-speak, but it is UV-resistant so should protect the photo a little at least. It can not be removed. The foamboard is of the brand KAPAfix, it has adhesive (glue) on one side. I mount the laminated photo onto the adhesive, sort of roll it carefully on while pressing with a cotton glove. It sticks permanently.
Framing and mounting is fun, but it's also a craft. I limit myself to techniques I have learnt and tried.
Bjørn Jørgensen

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 06:34:13 »
Thank you Bjørn for this information.

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 08:19:49 »
Good info guys, keep the ideas coming

Les, your point on the colour of the surround is useful.
Have you ever decided you wanted to use a particular colour/tone frame, then changed the processing of your image to ensure it worked well with it?

This was one point raised in my second posting above. I guess the only time you'd do that is if a client wanted an image to go in a particular room?

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 11:51:59 »
When the effect matters most for me is editing, because, eg, the Lightroom background you choose changes your assessment of the images, and you need to match that to the background you plan to use. 

It is worse if you are editing in colour, because there is a whole raft of named effects that describe ways colour is affected by the viewing conditions.  One important one is the Helmholtz-Kohlrausch effect, which is the observation that more saturated colour is perceived as brighter.  This effect is greater if the image surround is darker, so again your Lightroom background makes a difference (this is why the effect is very important for movies and theatre lighting designers).

asno

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 15:09:28 »
Jeg fulgte anmeldelsene til https: // bestfotobok.no/ og valgte smartphoto da jeg skulle lage meg en fotobok, synes de fungerte ganske bra :)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2020, 15:49:21 »
Please post in English -- this is an international site :(

As a fellow Norwegian I can read the post and it is borderline spam. Be warned. I have altered the link to make it unclickable.