Author Topic: Multiple Photoshop Versions Why? & What for?  (Read 1720 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Multiple Photoshop Versions Why? & What for?
« on: September 25, 2020, 10:33:00 »
A while ago I noticed that there are multiple Photoshop Versions installed on my system. I did not ask for that. Why is that so? and: What is the difference between these versions?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Multiple Photoshop Versions Why? & What for?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 14:17:53 »
A while ago I noticed that there are multiple Photoshop Versions installed on my system. I did not ask for that. Why is that so? and: What is the difference between these versions?

A couple of reasons come to mind. When Adobe launch major updates, there may be bugs in them so they make it easier for users to continue using the old version by retaining it on the hard drive of the computer for some time. Also sometimes they make user interface changes and this may irritate users being under time pressure, and so again it's possible to continue using the old version until the user feels that there is time to learn the changes in the new version. I believe you can also install some older versions still even if the cloud app had removed them. They even make updates to the older major releases sometimes.

Unfortunately, while I think Adobe software is quite good, they don't seem to test new releases as thoroughly as they should.

I don't much like the current system where applications are updated frequently and UI is frequently changed.