Author Topic: Rumor: New MacBooks enroute  (Read 66060 times)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Re: Rumor: New MacBooks enroute
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2016, 13:04:20 »
As mentioned you get an USB-C dock for the workplace which you hook up the network, storage devices, card readers, power, monitors, audio, etc so you only have to plugin one cable into the laptop instead of all of those cables individually.

Here's an example of how that works
http://www.macrumors.com/review/owc-usb-c-dock/
Cheers,
Jan Anne

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2016, 13:12:00 »
When the new laptops come, it will be time for me to start contemplating the purchase of a well-specced previous generation MBP with magsafe, retina and several ports, second hand and affordable.
Not that fussed with the latest and greatest  ;)
Simone Tomasi

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2016, 21:45:56 »
Perhaps Apple is waiting for Intel's Kaby Lake CPU's?

"Previous rumors and leaks point to expanded 4K video playback capabilities, including support for HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 and hardware decode support for 10-bit HEVC and VP9 videos." + "We've seen some reports that some Kaby Lake chipsets will support full 10Gbps USB 3.1 speeds and Thunderbolt 3".

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the primary reason we haven't seen a MBP refresh yet.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/05/intels-post-tick-tock-kaby-lake-cpus-definitely-coming-later-this-year/
Jørgen Ramskov

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2016, 00:33:47 »
Sorry something went wrong here. Looks like an accidental post from my phone. :-[
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2016, 00:38:12 »
Another juicy rumours about the new MacBook Pro states that it will have Touch ID and use an OLED display touch bar (to replace physical function keys, located above the keyboard) and adopt USB- C / Thunderbolt 3.

I read an article recently by AGV AntiVirus saying if you loose you fingerprint security it's gone as you can't change your fingerprint. I said we leave our fingerprints everywhere and they can be lifted and used to unlock phones. It's something to think about. I'll try to find the article.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2016, 06:55:54 »
Fingerprint ID systems are also making checks for temperature and heartbeat etc.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2016, 09:09:55 »
It's generally a bad idea to use fingerprints for authentication, but it's convenient, user friendly and I use it all the time on my iPhone. At the same time I've switched to a much more difficult passcode instead of a 4 character pin.
Jørgen Ramskov

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2016, 16:26:14 »
A sparkle of hope for those waiting for a new MacBook Pro, apparently they are scheduled to be released in a month or so  :)

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/28/late-october-macbook-pro/
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2016, 17:25:26 »
It's starting to become a "I'll believe it when I see it" kind of thing :)
Jørgen Ramskov

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2016, 23:30:33 »
Thanks JA  ;D
Erik Lund

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2016, 16:13:02 »
It took me hours to get my MacBook Pro to print on new Windows Network Printer.  With every OS upgrade some apps break.  Premium Windows notebooks have improved a lot.  No more MacBooks here

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2016, 13:25:56 »
No (never) more Windows machines here, since 2009. The only left is my Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 running under XP. The catastrophic Vista, I could experience through my children's PC's, made a definitive end to the Windows odyssey at home.  :-\
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2016, 14:45:59 »
We all have our preferences ;)

At home I have an entire Apple, Philips Hue and Sonos eco system which works together seamlessly, mainly because Philips and Sonos work closely together with Apple to make that happen. So all my lights can be controlled with my iPhone by using Siri ("turn kitchen on"), the Hue app or by widgets on the lock screen.

The Sonos music system plays music in two separate rooms from my TimeCapsule or Apple Music stream. On the MacBook I can use my keyboard shortcut keys for the basic functions (pause, next song, etc) and on the iPhone lock screen I can do the same, both devices can be used side by side as a remote as neither is the host of the session.

I doesn't matter which PC or mobile platform one uses, as long as it can be part of an ecosystem which offers the desired end to end solution which is purely based on personal preferences and requirements :) At the office I have to use tools like SQL and Access so the preferred OS is Windows, simple as that.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2016, 15:32:48 »
J.A., that is cool.   I'm at least 10 years behind you but with constant power outages (and wild fluctuations in the supply) I would probably need to do it manually anyway  ;) .
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2016, 21:17:55 »
I'm not particular about OS or brand anymore.  But one of the things I like about my current MacBook Air for my mobile usage is Magsafe power connector.  It's shame that Apple seems to be abandoning it.  My hunch is that MBA is obsoleted by MacBook...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira