Author Topic: Nikon D5 - first impressions  (Read 147249 times)

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon D5 - first impressions
« Reply #225 on: June 09, 2016, 18:14:14 »
I have a D610 and did some high ISO comparisons with the D5: in terms of noise the D610 holds well his grounds.
               Stunning images of yours above,  MFloyd!   I know, for sure, how hard is to get such the beauty!  Well done!   LZ

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #226 on: June 09, 2016, 18:55:33 »
Thank you so much. Hereunder two color charts at ISO 25'600.  There is little difference:

D610 @ ISO 25'600 f/5.6 1/640

D5 @ ISO 25'600 f/5.6 1/1250

Surprisingly, there is one stop difference between the D610 and the D5 combined with some density difference. I have to bring the analysis somewhat further.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

MFloyd

• NG Member
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #227 on: June 20, 2016, 08:42:34 »
According NikonRumors new firmware would become available this or next week http://nikonrumors.com/2016/06/19/nikon-d5-firmware-update-to-be-released-soon.aspx/#more-105314
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

MFloyd

• NG Member
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #228 on: June 20, 2016, 21:12:03 »
Moved the post to http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?action=post;topic=3087.90;last_msg=57763 where it will be more appropriate, as most of my pictures will be taken with the D5 anyway, and as I cannot talk anymore about "first impressions"  ;)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #229 on: June 22, 2016, 05:43:35 »
D4s v. D5 v. D800 Dynamic Range v. ISO from DXOMark data...

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20D4S,Nikon%20D5,Nikon%20D800

From this it would appear that the D5 indeed has less dynamic range in the low ISO(s) but it's optimized for high ISO. What do you folks think? A video I viewed recently said and showed more detail in high ISO photos. I might have found the link here at NikonGear.net.

Any comments on the viewfinder? How is manual focus on the matte focus screen. I have not found the D800 and D300s to be as good (as easy) as my D2H was.

Dave

I added the D800 to the link above. I might have added the D810 but the D800 is a little better at the low end and the color of the graph line is cool stands out better.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #230 on: June 23, 2016, 12:44:42 »
From this it would appear that the D5 indeed has less dynamic range in the low ISO(s) but it's optimized for high ISO.

Right, the fast cameras typically are not the best in low ISO dynamic range. As far as I know, this is partly because they need to read the sensor very quickly to achieve their frame rates, and partly because the pixel count is smaller so the noise that comes from the reading of the sensor and digitization of the signal contributes to a larger fraction of the whole image than in slower, high resolution cameras. The difference between D4(s) and D5 doesn't seem to be so great, one is a bit better in one area and the other in another. I guess what Nikon did was to make the D5 a more specialized tool than its predecessor was; on the other hand the pixel count has increased (slightly) so that increases usability for some applications. I would just use the D810 for low to medium ISO work and the D5 for medium to high ISO and/or fast action. The D5 has the newer AF system advantage, excellent build quality and ergonomics, high speed etc. whereas the D810 has the better image quality (except at very high ISO) and is more compact and lightweight (without vertical grip).

As for the choice between D4s and D5, personally I think in a camera that is intended for action, the better AF system is more important than small differences in image quality. However, there is also the matter of cost - the D4s and D4 should be available on the second hand market for less money than the D5. The biggest difference in the D5 AF system for me is that it has cross type sensors further away from the center along the long axis of the frame, this is a big deal for vertical photographs of approaching people (vertical portraits as well, but if they are approaching the new AF system really helps catch onto low contrast features on the faces). Unfortunately the AF array does not seem to have expanded as much along the short axis of the frame.

I guess if you shoot action in very bright, high contrast light a lot, then the D4 or D4s ought to be considered alongside the D5. But for contrasty daylight I would prefer the D810 and just accept the slower frame rate - 5fps with a fairly spacious buffer works for me, and it can do 6fps in 1.2x crop mode. D810 at ISO 64 is just delicious.

Any comments on the viewfinder? How is manual focus on the matte focus screen. I have not found the D800 and D300s to be as good (as easy) as my D2H was.

You could try the Df and D810; both have rather nice viewfinders (I found the improvement from D800 to D810 noticeable in the crispiness of the viewfinder image). I haven't used the D5 enough to comment on that but it may be it is easier to see the corners of the viewfinder with glasses on than with the D810. I am not sure about manual focusability with the D5 but will at some point try. I use quite a few manual focus lenses for tripod based work but use live view to finalize the focusing. For tilt/shift lenses I focus first optically and adjust the tilt simultaneously while rotating the focusing ring. Then I finalize the focus using the LV image zoomed in. You can get some viewfinder ocular accessories for the D5 (it has a removeable eyepiece and the manual lists some options that can be attached). I haven't tried those yet.

I can try to provide feedback on the D5 viewfinder for manual focusing vs. the D810 once I have more time with the camera.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #231 on: June 23, 2016, 13:35:20 »
I get HER tomorrow. Keep HER till Tuesday.

Will run comparison to D500. Exciting!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #232 on: June 23, 2016, 13:57:25 »
D5 FW 1.1 just announced gives still image photography the flicker reduction function. This I look forward to very much as in flickering light indoors the colors and brightness can vary from image to image and this is very annoying and time consuming to correct in post. I was very excited when Canon announced the 7D II with flicker reduction and now both the D500 and D5 support it, apparently.

MFloyd

• NG Member
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #233 on: June 23, 2016, 15:12:16 »
Hereunder details of 1.10 firmware update:

I had a quick try after install, and everything seems to work

• The camera can now record movies up to 29 minutes and 59 seconds long. Movies are recorded across up to 8 files, each up to 4 GB size, which can be joined together using the ViewNX-Movie Editor option in ViewNX-i version 1.2.0 or later. *
• An Electronic VR option has been added to the MOVIE SHOOTING MENU. Note that electronic vibration reduction is not available at frame sizes of 3840×2160 or 1920×1080 crop, and that the angle of view is slightly reduced when electronic vibration reduction is in effect. *
• A Flicker reduction option has been added to the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU. *
• Dynamic-area AF (9 points) has been added to the AF-area mode options available during viewfinder photography. *
• The chief changes to viewfinder photography autofocus are:
- Improved camera response when the button assigned Auto-area AF using Custom Setting f1 (Custom control assignment) > AF-area mode or AF-area mode + AF-ON is pressed to temporarily select auto-area AF.
- Improved tracking when Wide is selected for Custom Setting a5 (3D-tracking watch area) and 3D-tracking is selected for AF-area mode.
• The following changes have been made to the shooting display in the web browser when Silent photography is selected in HTTP server mode:
- An “SL” (“silent”) icon has been added to the release mode button.
- The “number of shots remaining” display for continuous release modes now shows the time remaining.
- Exposure compensation can now be adjusted by up to ±3.
• The file name (extension “.NDF”) is now displayed in HTTP server mode when Image Dust Off data are displayed in a web browser either full frame or in the image viewer.
• The web browser displays for computers, iPads, and Android OS now identify white balance presets 1 through 6 by number when preset manual white balance is selected in HTTP server mode.
• If movie recording is started while the camera is focusing in movie live view, the camera will now stop focusing before beginning recording.
• Fixed the following issues:
- The camera would sometimes record the date of recording incorrectly during leap years and the like.
- The Save/load settings option in the SETUP MENU would only load up to 10 of the up to 20 items that could be stored in “My Menu”.
- The camera would display the encryption key for Direct (access point) connections when searching for wireless networks using Search for wireless network with Direct (access point) selected in the SETUP MENU > Network connection wizard.
- The device would sometimes be unable to connect to the D5 when Connect and exit wizard was chosen with Direct (access point) selected in the SETUP MENU > Network connection wizard.
- The OS X edition of the Wireless Transmitter Utility would not function as expected when used to edit or add profiles for a camera connected via USB if Password protection was enabled for wireless or Ethernet LANs in the Network > Network settings menu.
- The camera would sometimes not correctly display pictures created using the Trim option in the RETOUCH MENU.
- If playback zoom was activated while the memory card access lamp was lit, the picture would sometimes not display correctly or the camera would zoom in on a point other than the active focus point if:
• RAW Slot 1 - JPEG Slot 2 was selected for Role played by card in Slot 2 in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU,
• On was selected for Image review in the PLAYBACK MENU,
• Memory cards were inserted in Slots both 1 and 2, and
• The NEF (RAW) and JPEG images were different sizes
* Details can be found in an updated edition of the camera manual.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #234 on: June 25, 2016, 19:18:46 »
I took a lot of shots whith the D5 that arrived yesterday morning

1) ISO 100 full 21 MP ... http://fotokontext.de/ZENTRALKRAFT/edDSC_5013.jpg
2) ISO 12.800, silent mode. I took pictures up to 81k. Very interesting results, more later ... http://fotokontext.de/ZENTRALKRAFT/ed_DSC_6590.JPG
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #235 on: June 25, 2016, 19:31:39 »
Common features with the D500:

The JPEG Conversions in camera suck, esp at higher ISO settings. One needs to shut off the "Noise Reduction" or one gets ugly artefacts. In "silent mode" which is a "JPEG small only" or "video grab" mode it seems a good idea to cover the artifacts with 5% gaussian noise as I did in the second shot above.

Task: Play with the in camera settings to see which suit a usable JPEG OOC best. Any suggestions, Andy?

Features missing or I did not find:

No quiet continuos mode (Qc) but a strange mode called "silent mode" with motion JPEG Frames of 2784×1856 qpixels written to the card at insane speed. I'd rather see less speed and more Quality/Resolution. Feedback is not there really.

Comment: Quiet mode means anticipation of  situations, because you get a shutter delay of roughly 1/2 second on older cams, much less on D5 and D500. BUT: You get a Quiet mode continouus on the D500, which is not as silent as the Quet single mode, but OKish.

What I really do not like

Very loud and ugly shutter noise. CH12 sounds like a wasp cross bred with a small Italian motor cycle some youth may utilize to impress girls
The button layout on the back feels better with the D500 for my hands

MFloyd

• NG Member
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #236 on: June 25, 2016, 19:44:12 »
"Features missing or I did not find:

"No quiet continuos mode (Qc) but a strange mode called "silent mode" with motion JPEG Frames of 2784×1856 qpixels written to the card at insane speed. I'd rather see less speed and more Quality/Resolution. Feedback is not there really.

Comment: Quiet mode means anticipation of  situations, because you get a shutter delay of roughly 1/2 second on older cams, much less on D5 and D500. BUT: You get a Quiet mode continouus on the D500, which is not as silent as the Quet single mode, but OKish."

You have a silent mode Q on the lefthand turret with a choice of single or 3 frames / s

"What I really do not like

Very loud and ugly shutter noise. CH12 sounds like a wasp cross bred with a small Italian motor cycle some youth may utilize to impress gilrs"

?? Mine has a very matte sound and is not loud at all.  Absolutely nothing to do with wasps or Italian Vespas 
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #237 on: June 25, 2016, 20:37:56 »
"No quiet continuos mode (Qc) but a strange mode called "silent mode" with motion JPEG Frames of 2784×1856 qpixels written to the card at insane speed. I'd rather see less speed and more Quality/Resolution. Feedback is not there really.
Comment: Quiet mode means anticipation of  situations, because you get a shutter delay of roughly 1/2 second on older cams, much less on D5 and D500. BUT: You get a Quiet mode continouus on the D500, which is not as silent as the Quet single mode, but OKish."
You have a silent mode Q on the lefthand turret with a choice of single or 3 frames / s

OK, you do not have the Qc on the upper dial but you got it parametrized with another button on the lower paret of the body, where you can switch from "S" to "C3".

Sorry, my bad. I was used the "Qc" on the upper dial of the D500.

Concerning the sound I will fire up my zoom audio h1 recorder now and everybody may judge for themselves.

Here we are. Completely unscientific but you can hear the difference for sure: http://fotokontext.de/ZENTRALKRAFT/d500_vs_d5_sound.MP3

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #238 on: June 25, 2016, 23:19:15 »
The D5 has 20% faster frame rate, and the mirror and shutter are larger as well than those in the D500. A higher pitch, louder sound is the result. A softer sound in FX can be achieved if a slower frame rate is acceptable (the D810). I don't find the sound from the D5 a distraction. It's a fast camera so it makes a sharp sound. One of the advantages of a fast moving mirror is that the AF sensor dead time is shorter between the frames. The D5 AF seems very reliable.

The automatic white balance seems very consistent and a considerable improvement in a camera that is often used in varying and difficult lighting conditions.  The exposure meter seems also very consistent. This makes it easier to get a good result with minimal post-processing so it saves time and for me puts more focus on the subject and content of the image, not burdened down by a considerable post-processing workload. The images aren't as detailed as those from the D810 but on the other hand such detail is usually not required in many applications where the final outcome is either displayed on screen or printed small. Of course the D810 has many benefits but processing a thousand images from an event shot with D810 is not my idea of fun. I want to spend much less time by the computer.

If the sound is a problem for your application, there are quieter cameras with excellent high ISO image quality but probably none that can focus as well as the D5 in dim light, especially if the subjects move. I guess it is a bit of a paradox. I guess Nikon thinks more about sports photographers than those who photograph classical music etc. ;)
For that kind of application I think the D810 and fast primes works well even though its high ISO is not as good as a few other Nikons, using an f/1.4 or f/2 lens usually solves the problem. And the high resolution of the camera gives some compositional freedom when using primes. The details of costumes are certainly resolved in fine detail. I guess what Nikon could add to its successor is the improvements in auto white balance and exposure accuracy, flicker synchronization, and the Multi-CAM 20k. BSI sensor maybe.

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #239 on: June 26, 2016, 00:04:40 »
Frank,
all the cameras with the mount screwed into the "plastic" of the body have a damped sound.
The D500, D810, Df, D600, D610, D750, etc .....

The f-mount of the D5 is screwed into metal, like the other single digit bodies and for instance the D800/E.

Might be one of the reasons,
Andy