Author Topic: Nikon D5 - first impressions  (Read 147233 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Nikon D5 - first impressions
« Reply #195 on: April 06, 2016, 10:47:17 »
Truly read write performance indeed!

I'm sure the low light AF performance is amazing why would it not be ;) Every singe new incarnation of these D have been better and better in this regard  8)
Erik Lund

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #196 on: April 16, 2016, 14:58:35 »
For those who rather prefer watching video reviews.
The water test at 7 mins into the video is not reommended to replicate ... (This goes beyond my understanding of sturdiness and ruggedness a camera is build for)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uHWVBLuaLg&feature=youtu.be

rgds, Andy

Herbie49

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • England in Hirslanden
« Reply #197 on: April 18, 2016, 11:36:28 »
Interesting comparison between D5 and D810, but also with Canon and Sony cameras.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCwk-Obu0dA
Conclusion: The D810 is still a superb camera which for most photographers will be the better choice.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #198 on: April 18, 2016, 11:55:51 »
Conclusion: The D810 is still a superb camera which for most photographers will be the better choice.

Well the d810 is due an update soon, with the D5's AF system (or some adoptation of it). There is no point in not making the high res model have the best AF; the linear only points outside of the center columns is (and always was) very limiting and an absurd design decision IMO, basically most if not all portrait orientation full body shots suffer from not having reliable AF on the face, this affects portrait shooting, concerts, sports etc. I think the broad coverage with cross type AF sensor points in the 1D X / 5D III allowed Canon to obtain a stronghold even with lesser image quality sensors that they had at the time compared to Nikon. In a high resolution camera, reliable AF is paramount to actually make something out of the increased resolution (unless it is used for landscape etc. of course)

I would expect an announcement of the D810's successor later this year.

Tersn

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • On Flickr
« Reply #199 on: April 21, 2016, 10:55:32 »
I have heard that the D5 has more low ISO noise than the D4s (and D810). Does anyone here have any experience with that? Thankful for any opinions. I have got a D5 on hold till tomorrow and have problems making up my mind. :-\
Terje S.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #200 on: April 21, 2016, 11:01:39 »
Terje: The D5 is for fast action and high ISO. Sports & Wildlife with big glass. It is not worse in low ISO than a D3s. Just look at the beginning of this thread where all these questions are discussed long and broad
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Tersn

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • On Flickr
« Reply #201 on: April 21, 2016, 11:30:03 »
Terje: The D5 is for fast action and high ISO. Sports & Wildlife with big glass. It is not worse in low ISO than a D3s. Just look at the beginning of this thread where all these questions are discussed long and broad

Frank: Of course, I know all about that. I am mainly interested in real life experience with the camera, not just a few hours of trying it out. The D5 has been available for some time now so some people have had a chance to test it relatively thoroughly.
Terje S.

Michael Anderson

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #202 on: April 21, 2016, 12:17:48 »
I faced the same predicament as you and cancelled the order. Hoping for a D5X.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #203 on: April 21, 2016, 12:24:32 »
My current verdict from what I hear from all my friends with a D5 is that the "theoretical trouble at low ISO" is more of an annoyance in theory than it is in practical work.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Tersn

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • On Flickr
« Reply #204 on: April 21, 2016, 14:26:33 »
Michael:
Interesting that someone else has been thinking about the low iso performance too.

Frank.
I hope so and have been surfing around and found some intersting view points; should be able to make a qualified decision by tomorrow  :)
Terje S.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #205 on: April 21, 2016, 15:29:08 »
I am mainly interested in real life experience with the camera, not just a few hours of trying it out.

Brad Hill comments on his experiences with the D5 quite extensively in his blog.

Edit: If the metering is more accurate (as he suggests) then the need to do corrections in post (requiring often discussed DR) should be less frequent.

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #206 on: April 21, 2016, 15:45:45 »
My current verdict from what I hear from all my friends with a D5 is that the "theoretical trouble at low ISO" is more of an annoyance in theory than it is in practical work.

Hereby, an interactive comparaison chart http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20D4S,Nikon%20D5,Nikon%20D810

Low ISO performance is lower than the D4s, D810, or D610.  It is still higher / comparable to all the pro bodies of Canon.  Nothing dramatical. still well above all current view supports (screen, paper etc).  And an absolute performer above ISO 6400, which was, until very recent, forbidden territory for professional applications 
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Tersn

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • On Flickr
« Reply #207 on: April 21, 2016, 18:24:44 »
MFloyd and Ilkka N. :

Thanks for your reminders. I have been reading a lot of tests and comments today on the D5 and am slowly starting to make up my mind.
Terje S.

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #208 on: April 24, 2016, 14:34:20 »
Very late to this thread, but I must congratulate Andy on a job well done and very impressed with the D5 sensor. Any chance of an updated Df w/D5 sensor?

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #209 on: April 25, 2016, 20:18:48 »
Not sure if this link was mentioned already but here's memory speeds test with the D5 and some XQD cards:
http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/nikon-d5/fastest-xqd-cards/
Cheers,
Jan Anne