Author Topic: Nikon D5 - first impressions  (Read 146405 times)

Andy

• NG Member
Nikon D5 - first impressions
« on: March 18, 2016, 17:29:15 »
Got a chance to pickup a D5 earlier today.

In case there is interest, I am happy to share my first impressions as they develop while using the camera. Please don't expect a formal review or test. There are more qualified people out there for this. Plus, I don't have (or don't want to spent) the time such a review would need to be at the necessary quality level others would find useful. I'd rather prefer a kind of logbook approach, noting down my personal impressions and experiences while using the D5. (As a matter of transparency: My own D5 will arrive (most likely) next week, like all others who have ordered a camera. Being curious, I asked if I can get a loaner for the weekend. Lucky me, the surprising answer was "Yes" :). So I will start this log with this production D5 and continue with my own D5 later next week. No conditions, just my opinions and experiences.) As said, please don't expect a formal review here. D5 NEF's and JPEG's will be shared as well.

Logbook entry #1:
1) On first touch: Looks like, smells like and handles like the familiar single digit Nikon bodies
2) First thing different I experienced vs. all predecessors: The mode button was moved to the other side of the viewfinder. The ISO button is now there where the mode button was. Makes sense, as the ISO setting changes (in my case) much more often than the exposure mode. It is just a matter of familiarity (and unlearning 15 years of behavior). Index finger on the button and with the thumb changing the ISO speed, or index finger on the button and with the middle finger changing ISO -> ISO Auto, etc ...
3) Putting a lens with a cap on the D5, and if ISO is on auto the camera try to compensate for the darkness. Iso goes up to 400k or 800k. Was a bit irritating at first look, as these values aren't so often seen.
4) Took only a few images on the way home. Looks like the exposure meter doesn't need the -0.7EV I usually set my cameras to (to avoid/reduce blown highlights). Exposure metering seems to be very precise on first images. Nice, need to look into this more with a direct comparison with the D4.
5) Single focus field is not as fast as "auto group". Autogroup with a fast lens is very fast. AF auto group seems to be needed with the ISO performance of the sensor to capture focus in dark settings. Otherwise ISO performance of the sensor is "higher" than the AF system (on single AF field).
6) Sound is similar to D3s/D4. Wouldn't call it differently, if not checked sidebyside.
7) NX-D version 1.3 can't open D5 NEF files - update is needed.
8.) Windows 8, can't display "official" ISO values beyond 65535 (seems to be a 16bit unsigned integer). (Hi1 - Hi(x) values of all cameras don't show up in Explorer). Will probably be fixed in an upcoming update with support for the D5 metadata.
9) The camera has 2x CF slots
10) After the first 100 shots, 4 terms pop up: 1) Familiarity, 2) precise exposure, 3) fast AF, 4) dependability.

cheers,
Andy

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Nikon D5 - first impressions
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 17:54:06 »
More. More. Much more.

You refer to "fast lenses" ...  is that fast as in f=1.4 or fast as in fast AF lenses???
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 18:06:14 »
Thank you for sharing.
Looking forward for your next impressions and tests.
Can't wait for mine.
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 18:20:08 »
A good approach this, Andy. Very informative !

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 20:00:05 »
Andy, congrats on your purchase of D5!

As you should already know, D5 NEF can be processed by the latest ACR (ver. 9.5) updated yesterday.

Looking forward to further review!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 20:27:15 »
Thanks all.

I just finished work and went through the garden at 8pm ( = dark). A nice experience :)
D5 + 24-70mm VR, Auto ISO limited to 102400, not below 1/30 sec
Need to get into the city (downtown) for better images.

Based on oof JPEG, my "upper limit" of 100k seems likely. 3mio ISO is rather an emergency setting (in the oof JPEGs)

The CPU seems to use its faster processing power to create a unique (high frequency)pattern - looks like it seems to mimic film korn. Haven't seen that with the D4 at this level.

rgds,
Andy

Here is a "harmless" one.
Handheld, ISO 90000, unprocessed oof JPEG
1) resized, 2) 100% crop

Here is the NEF for those who have ACR (_D5D-0313.NEF). Pls share back your processing result.
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=C59FEF9F04ED4A3A%211552&cid=C59FEF9F04ED4A3A

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 22:52:00 »
7) NX-D version 1.3 can't open D5 NEF files - update is needed.

Amazing situation from Nikon.
You'd have to say too, totally unacceptable too.
The D5 is obviously now available to the general public, and the D500 is imminent, and they have yet to release software required to make full use of the (raw)images.

How is one expected to pre-determine if the software to be used for the images is yet stable or usable or bug free?

While this is not related to the quality of their products on the whole(although the quality of some of their products can be questionable), it is indicative of the current culture in their management towards customers(loyal or otherwise) which is, that we are treated with contempt.

The software should have been released long before any of the products that require it for the purpose of reporting all the inevitable bugs they will undoubtedly create!
Arthur

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 22:58:52 »
On the edge of being 'usable'.  ? 

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 23:16:25 »
John. To be honest. 90k looks useful at last....

Looking forward to city center shots .... hihi ... handheld with the 300/2 ....
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

stenrasmussen

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 23:22:08 »
Niiiice Andy!
Am sure Bill Claff would love to receive a NEF from you. His sensor performance analysis is very good and interesting read!
I've sent him an email informing him of your D5 and NEF availability.

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 23:47:06 »
Niiiice Andy!
Am sure Bill Claff would love to receive a NEF from you. His sensor performance analysis is very good and interesting read!
I've sent him an email informing him of your D5 and NEF availability.
Thanks Sten,
I think we had the same thought :D
Sent a mail to Bill earlier today if he is interested in D5 NEF files.
BTW, years ago, I sent Bill the RAW files of all my Nikon D-SLRs (18 GB). Haven't checked though if the method of capturing the images has changed since then. Need to check.

Will go for some night shooting now. More to come.

Andy

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 00:05:28 »
If it was a pinkish image shot just below saturation, he was using it a few months ago. He was looking for D90 and D70 data which I made using this procedure he sent me.
Bruno Schröder

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 01:10:26 »
John. To be honest. 90k looks useful at last....

Looking forward to city center shots .... hihi ... handheld with the 300/2 ....
Ooh yes. This is a difficult shot for comparison.

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 02:46:16 »
Ok, I was 2 hrs in the city. Started past midnight. Walked with 2 cameras.
1) D5 and AFS 24-70mm/2.8 VR & AFS 300mm/4 PF VR
2) D4 & AFS 24-70mm/2.8

First, only images with the D5.
No special test setup, just normal shooting. Camera set to Auto ISO with the upper mark at 12800 (to be better comparable with the D4, which has 12800 as the upper native ISO). All images are strictly taken from oof camera JPEGs and only resized to 1920x1280. No further pp unless noted. All photos were taken handheld. All EXIF included.

3 photos:
1) The train was leaving the station. Did about 10 quick shots with AF set to AFC, most of them are in focus. ISO 6400, 70mm
2) city street. Thats the standard exposure control. ISO 2800, 70mm
3) Tram station. ISO 12800, 52mm, (horizon levelled)

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 02:53:00 »
1) Trams. waiting to be cleaned. ISO 6400, 70mm
2) Same trams. Taken with the AFS 300mm PF, handheld, ISO 12800, 1/160s, f4. Distance approx 40 meter
3) Taken with 300mm PF lens. Typical light at a gas station. ISO 4000, 1/160s, f4, Distance approx 30 meter