Author Topic: Nikkor 6mm 2.8 Ai  (Read 75259 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Nikkor 6mm 2.8 Ai
« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2016, 02:31:05 »
Erik, how did you attach the anti-twist block onto the RRS plate?  The epoxy shouldn't be strong enough, and I don't see any screw...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #136 on: April 26, 2016, 09:31:24 »
The thin tape is hiding the two screws  ;)

The RRS plates comes with M3 threaded holes for their anti twist blocks and end stops, I just made a block out of stainless steel and drilled the counter sunk holes to match for two M3 screws at 45 degrees to match the cut out in the lens foot.

The cut out in the lens foot is made for when the lens laying on the side resting on a flat surface without a camera attached - strange IMHO

Jakov I can hardly wait to go and shoot this Big eye with you all ;)

It's completely surreal to shoot with it because when you have the camera and lens in the normal shooting position your view is completely blocked - all you see is the rear of the lens and when you look through the view finder you see a tiny world in front of you without having any feel for how close you are to anything,,,
So I think I will try and use the Zacuto viewfinder in live view,,,
Erik Lund

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #137 on: April 26, 2016, 09:44:24 »
Did you end up buying the fisheye lens, or did you rent it for the NG workshop?
It will be fun seeing the lens in action and I'm curious what footage you will come up with (using the relay lens mentioned earlier).
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #138 on: April 26, 2016, 10:36:06 »
I have rented the lens for some jobs here in Copenhagen this week and for our Scotland workshop - then I guess I have used it plenty for my type of photography  ;)

There are so many other wonderful lenses I would buy before the 6mm - I'm not a lens collector  8)

I'm not sure we will manage to shoot a lot of video - also Bjørn has to cut down on bits and pieces he will bring so not sure he will prioritise to bring the relay,,,

Shooting 360 degree 220 degree field of view video is,,, to put it mildly super strange - you will have your shadow in the shot, tripod and everything if you don't take extreme care,,,,

So shooting it with the 16-9 crop is actually a huge relief,,,
Erik Lund

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #139 on: April 26, 2016, 10:53:44 »
Shooting 360 degree 220 degree field of view video is,,, to put it mildly super strange - you will have your shadow in the shot, tripod and everything if you don't take extreme care,,,,

So shooting it with the 16-9 crop is actually a huge relief,,,

Oh, I think I misunderstood then.
I thought the relay was made in order increase magnification in order to fit the full circle of the fisheye image into the movie frame.
Maybe we can assemble a relay on-site by combining lenses and extension tubes from various people (only volunteers of course).
I haven't decided what I will bring along, but if you need a specific lens that neither of you manage to bring along I can maybe take that into consideration.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #140 on: April 26, 2016, 11:21:38 »
No you didn't misunderstand.

The idea of a relay in this case is for having a circular Fisheye image in 16:9,,,

Thanks for volunteering for the parts! ;) A couple of parts are quite unique, short focus mount so Bjørn should bring that, other vice I need a 35mm 1.4 and a 50mm 1.2 I believe,,,  I'll ask Bjørn
Erik Lund

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #141 on: April 26, 2016, 11:49:37 »
No you didn't misunderstand.

The idea of a relay in this case is for having a circular Fisheye image in 16-9,,,

Thanks for volunteering for the parts! ;) A couple of parts are quite unique, short focus mount so Bjørn should bring that, other vice I need a 35mm 1.4 and a 50mm 1.2 I believe,,,  I'll ask Bjørn

I'll have a 35/1.4 N and 55/1.2 SC with me, so if weight counts Bjørn can leave those at home. :)
Chris Dees

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #142 on: April 26, 2016, 11:57:56 »
Thanks Chris but the 55mm is too long and is it 35mm 1.4 Ais ? as we need the best possible coatings and lens,,,
Then it's a 50mm 1.2 Ais - my guess would be that Jan Ann will bring his sample ;)
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #143 on: April 26, 2016, 12:47:44 »
We need the following Nikkors for the relay: 50/1.2 AIS and 35/1.4 AIS. I'll plan on having the 35/1.4 with me any way. If JA brings his 50/1.2 the remaining parts (spacers, focusing helicoid, adapters) are easy to fit into the overfilled photo bag unless it bursts at the seams ... :D

The image circle of the 6 mm fisheye is too large for the video 16:9 crop. Thus the idea of the relay is to reduce the focal length and hence the projected image by a factor of 0.7X.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2016, 15:19:45 »
The thin tape is hiding the two screws  ;)

The RRS plates comes with M3 threaded holes for their anti twist blocks and end stops, I just made a block out of stainless steel and drilled the counter sunk holes to match for two M3 screws at 45 degrees to match the cut out in the lens foot.

The cut out in the lens foot is made for when the lens laying on the side resting on a flat surface without a camera attached - strange IMHO

Erik, thanks for the details!

The image circle of the 6 mm fisheye is too large for the video 16:9 crop. Thus the idea of the relay is to reduce the focal length and hence the projected image by a factor of 0.7X.

Are you going to shoot video with a Nikon FX DSLR?  I guess a focus reducer like the Metabones on a mirrorless camera would be an easier and simpler solution...

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #145 on: April 26, 2016, 15:27:49 »
Thanks Chris but the 55mm is too long and is it 35mm 1.4 Ais ? as we need the best possible coatings and lens,,,
Then it's a 50mm 1.2 Ais - my guess would be that Jan Ann will bring his sample ;)

No, it's the Nikkor-N Auto 35/1.4 from 1971 (9-blade thorium lens).
Chris Dees

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #146 on: April 26, 2016, 15:46:20 »
Erik, thanks for the details!

Are you going to shoot video with a Nikon FX DSLR?  I guess a focus reducer like the Metabones on a mirrorless camera would be an easier and simpler solution...
The problem is that the circle will still be too big to fit inside the movie frame. You need to project the small image onto a big sensor, not onto a small sensor, otherwise the problem persists.

EDIT: It may be that you can make full frame videos on one of those cameras, so that would be an option.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #147 on: April 26, 2016, 16:39:19 »
I tried the relay setup with my 8 mm f/2.8 and D600 in video mode and the reduced image circle fits inside the video frame lines. So my hunch is the 6/2.8 will behave in a similar manner as their projected image circles should be approx. equal in size.

Using a Metabones focal reducer on a smaller sensor camera such as m43 makes little sense as the image circle still will be outside the frame. A bigger sensor in conjunction with 0.7X reducer is the solution for superfisheye video showing the entire 220 degrees  image without top/bottom being cut off.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #148 on: April 26, 2016, 17:37:02 »
Simone I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing here,,, I'm shooting Video with the D810 FX in 16:9 format
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #149 on: April 26, 2016, 17:39:06 »
With "mirrorless" I had Sony A7 series camera in mind.  Sorry to be unclear.  I guess the 0.7X reducer would work.