Author Topic: Nikon launches premium compact DL range with 1 inch sensors  (Read 15241 times)

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: Nikon launches premium compact DL range with 1 inch sensors
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2016, 08:59:13 »
Surely one of the advantages of mirrorless is that lenses can be designed very close to the sensor. Doesn't matter if the lens is interchangeable or fixed, so surely an interchangeable version of the 18-50 would still fit a 1 Nikon camera?

I agree an equivalent interchangeable lens would be bigger...

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2016, 09:02:37 »
DL models are on display along with D5/D500 at CP+2016:

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20160225_745345.html
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2016, 11:16:33 »
No Bear can keep their Fierceness with a 'smart'phone ....
;D ;D ;D

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2016, 12:04:47 »
Surely one of the advantages of mirrorless is that lenses can be designed very close to the sensor. Doesn't matter if the lens is interchangeable or fixed, so surely an interchangeable version of the 18-50 would still fit a 1 Nikon camera?

I agree an equivalent interchangeable lens would be bigger...

Not necessarily true the same design can be done with the 1 Nikons. These cameras do have the camera bayonet spaced well ahead of their sensor (register distance is 17 mm).  Thus the mentioned zoom lens will have to be a retrofocus design and that in itself adds to the bulk and size.

Marco Lanciani

• NG Member
  • Roma, Italy
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2016, 17:45:33 »
I find the DL18-50 very interesting but... why do not just give us a 6.7-18.5mm f1.8-2.8 lens for the 1 system at half the price?

Interchangeable and compact too would be nice, yes, but I was considering the "exploded" dimension of the DL18-50 lens, which is what I get when "in use".  ;)
An Interchangeable 6.7-18.5mm f1.8-2.8 lens shouldn't be so much bigger... and maybe heavier too. I wouldn't bother a few extra millimeters or grams...
Marco Lanciani

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2016, 19:06:45 »
Interchangeable and compact too would be nice, yes, but I was considering the "exploded" dimension of the DL18-50 lens, which is what I get when "in use".  ;)
An Interchangeable 6.7-18.5mm f1.8-2.8 lens shouldn't be so much bigger... and maybe heavier too. I wouldn't bother a few extra millimeters or grams...
(Disclaimer: I had a chance to fiddle around with preproduction units for half an hour. Please keep all the associated conditions and consequences in mind. No pictures allowed to be stored on cards, things might change, no final software, potentially not final components/hardware. Me not understanding things correctly, me not communicating correctly, etc, etc,  ...)

wrt to the DL18-50:
There are 2 positions of the lens,when the camera is turned off, and when the camera is powered on. While I would agree that in the powered-on position the lens/camera combo's are about similar in size, the larger difference is in the power-off mode. It looks like the DL retract the extensible "tubes" of the lens into the space, where the 1 Nikon has it mount mechanics. Makes a difference carrying around in turned-off state, less so in turned-on state.

Overall, the DL 18-50 made a very good first impression. Especially the lens. Looking forward when the final version will be available.

rgds,
Andy

Chip Chipowski

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2016, 19:23:22 »
Andy - did you get to play with the PC feature?

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2016, 19:25:43 »
I doubt this will change the trend of most people shooting with their mobile phones.

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2016, 19:50:53 »
I doubt this will change the trend of most people shooting with their mobile phones.
With phones selling well above 1 billion pcs/year, no camera manufacturer will likely be in a position to change this broader societal trend. But Nikon seems to test out with the DL, how they can improve the conversion rates from this large untapped user base.

For most of this audience the step towards D-SLR is to big of a step - this market doesn't grow overall.

Traditional compact cameras are too close in their capabilities to the abilities of smartphones. Smartphone user seem to put their compact camera more and more to rest. Let's take the overall camera market development as an indication about this development.

So, Nikon is introducing a premium compact line. As usual, the market will ultimately decide if this approach will be successful.

rgds,
Andy

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2016, 19:55:08 »
Andy - did you get to play with the PC feature?

Chip,
sorry no, I did not test out the PC feature - I simple forgot. I was too busy checking out basic stuff, like AF performance, handling, flexibility, low light, macro, IQ in different light conditions, etc ... Spend most of my time with the DL18-50, then DL24-85 and almost nothing with the DL24-500 (I am not a target user for this category).

rgds, Andy

Marco Lanciani

• NG Member
  • Roma, Italy
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2016, 20:06:31 »
... Makes a difference carrying around in turned-off state, less so in turned-on state.
Overall, the DL 18-50 made a very good first impression. Especially the lens. Looking forward when the final version will be available.

I Agree.
Marco Lanciani

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2016, 20:58:41 »
No GPS ?? Not interested.

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2016, 21:34:24 »
No GPS ?? Not interested.
GPS is not relevant to me, so I didn't ask for it.
But I would guess GPS data could be added via the SnapBridge App for those interested in location data (tbc).

From Nikon's website:
SnapBridge uses Bluetooth® low energy (BLE) technology to maintain a constant connection with a compatible smart device.This communication isn’t just one way either: time and location information from your smartphone can be tagged to each photo. This connection is unaffected by using email, texting, web browsing or any other smart device apps, and photo transfers continue even when the phone is in a pocket or purse.

rgds, Andy

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2016, 22:29:24 »
Not interested in Snapbridge either. I want  GPS support.

Oh wait a sec. Not interested in the DL range at all. Now, that was the answer I searched for :D

I have ordered a D500 and with that camera, GPS support is provided. (and whatever Snapbridge it purports to have will of course be removed immediately).

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2016, 03:36:15 »
The DL. Videos later tonight :o :o :o
Poor thing kept hanging. Pre production model firmware