Author Topic: Nikon launches premium compact DL range with 1 inch sensors  (Read 15106 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Nikon launches premium compact DL range with 1 inch sensors
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 16:11:00 »
So why use the "equivalenced" figures in model designations and labels?? This is just a mess.

stenrasmussen

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 16:12:40 »
I have ordered the Nikon D500 and thus avoided any traps laid to my door by Nikon marketing :D

Any Snapbridge 'feature' will of course be turned permanently off.

I've also ordered the D500...so we ought to rendesvouz to do joint exploration of its features.
Snapbridge will be your friend when you get a smartphone 😁

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 16:25:19 »
No Bear can keep their Fierceness with a 'smart'phone ....

ArendV

• NG Member
  • The Netherlands
    • flickr
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 16:28:33 »
I agree that the different numbers on one camera - actual focal length and 35mm equivalent - are confusing.

But in the end I guess we all do our equivalence calculations if we own camera's with different sensor sizes.
Having started with 35mm film, that is the reference for me and so I calculate field of view accordingly.
But if we look at aperture/F-numbers the equivalence can go wild.
E.g. for depth-of-field the DL18-50 f/1.8-2.8 is actually a DL18-50 f4.9-7.6 in 35mm equivalence.
Arend

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 16:29:27 »
I have ordered the Nikon D500 and thus avoided any traps laid to my door by Nikon marketing :D
:)
Don't underestimate the power of marketeers....
They introduced in the DL the Expeed 6A (now with a with new quad-core design! :) )  even before they shipped the previous fastest Expeed 5 in the D5 and D500.
Thinking about cancelling my D500 order - seems to be outdated technology when it becomes available. According to Nikon marketing.  :)

rgds, Andy

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 16:42:43 »
Certainly not something I'll consider buying

With that sensor I'm still happy with my V1 and exchangeable lenses

I do like the regular flash hotshoe

With such announcement it would seem Nikon has plenty of development resources, but the direction they get seems a bit odd
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Hermann

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2016, 18:42:24 »
Certainly not something I'll consider buying
With that sensor I'm still happy with my V1 and exchangeable lenses
I do like the regular flash hotshoe

Same here. Sure, the V1 has a pretty quirky and at times annoying interface. But it has interchangeable lenses, and with the FT1 I can use my regular Nikkor lenses for some reach. It also has a (useable) EVF I need in many situations, especially with long lenses. The only things I'd really wish for are better results at higher ISO and a regular hotshoe.

In fact, I like the V1 so much I just bought a second body. Used, is nearly mint condition, with just over 8000 clicks, for under 100 euros. And a second FT1, for 80 euros. Updated the firmware, and I'm ready to go.

Hermann

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2016, 19:48:14 »
:)
Don't underestimate the power of marketeers....
They introduced in the DL the Expeed 6A (now with a with new quad-core design! :) )  even before they shipped the previous fastest Expeed 5 in the D5 and D500.
Thinking about cancelling my D500 order - seems to be outdated technology when it becomes available. According to Nikon marketing.  :)

rgds, Andy

The fast development of new sensor tech is actually minute incremental steps towards a slightly better sensor than 10 years ago. The last few days I have been comparing 11 years old jpeg taken in normal lighting (from sunrise to sunset) with the latest sensor tech (web size 1600 pixels longest side). I see no difference!!! I've been butt@&"!ed for more than a decade!! I am embarassed to admit that the marketing people fool me every time. The quest for the picture have been replaced with the race to aquire the latest and best technology :-[

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2016, 20:28:17 »
Interesting cameras... but it is strange that they come with fixed zooms which are significantly faster, or with greater range than any of the interchangeable CX lenses. For example the 8.8-31.3/1.8-2.8 (aka 24-85) is significantly more interesting than the CX 10-30 and 11-27.5, offering greater zoom range in both directions and two stops faster at the long end...

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2016, 20:48:19 »
@BW,
10 years ago? This was the time of the D2Xs/D2Hs/D200.

Agree, that with 1600px resolution during daylight the improvements weren't as visible, but don't forget the increase in Dynamic Range we got since then. (a bit more than 3 EV)
http://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20D200,Nikon%20D810
At the "edge of the envelope" (dawn/night), I would say, that we got decent improvement over the last 10 years (comparing mentally the D800E with the D200). This is actually only 7 years of progress. See how old the D800E already is :)

Another dimension of visible progress  is resolution. When the D1 was introduced, its image size was larger than any (reasonable) monitor on the market of that time. Today, with 40" 4k display's for a few hundred $, the native resolution of the D1/D1h only covers 31% of the available screen real estate :)

rgds,
Andy

PS: The image of a D1h in full/native resolution on a 4k monitor

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2016, 21:47:25 »
I have no problems with the naming of the cameras and am not negatively impressed by the fact that they are not interchangeable lenses.
I have owned an RX100 for three years and have enjoyed using it despite its sub-par AF and not very useful controls.
The RX100 IV got my attention for various interesting improvements bust still no hybrid AF and same controls that I don't like very much.
The new Nikons (the small ones) seem to have reasonable controls at least for a compact camera and if the AF is like the Nikon 1 cameras it is good enough for me.
My only bone so far is that these two cameras are about 100g heavier than I'd like them to be. Oh well...

If they are as good as they promise and no major issues are discovered, once the hype is over I'll probably get at least one to replace the RX100, if I can grab a bargain.
Simone Tomasi

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2016, 21:51:37 »
Exactly my point! Technology keeps improving at an incredible rate, but 99,5% of the end use results are covered by a clear margin, with 10 year old technology. My pictures are viewed by most people on a SRGB screen with limited resolution or end up with 10x15 prints in my album. I have sold prints up to 60x40cm with 12 mp cameras, had rollups made by cropped files from 10 mp cameras, several meters in size. Most of the time I stich photos together with a software if I need a high resolution file of scene. If I ask the client what kind of size, file type and color space they want, they usually dont have a clue. Professional print services sometimes have a limit for file size wich they can download. On several occasions I have had to physically hand them a memory stick with the files, because of email restrictions on attachment size. Most people dont have broadband internet service. Photographers care about such things, but they are never clients. Clients dont know squat about these things, all they care about is the picture. On the other hand, me as a photographer, love high resolution, acutance of detail and lack of distortion. I pride my self to deliver the best possible work I can achieve and waste hours of my life behind a computer screen on details, no one will ever notice. I guess I'm the one who walks willingly into the trap laid out of the nikon marketing people ??? End of rant and off topic ;)

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2016, 23:12:04 »

Marco Lanciani

• NG Member
  • Roma, Italy
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2016, 00:55:23 »
I find the DL18-50 very interesting but... why do not just give us a 6.7-18.5mm f1.8-2.8 lens for the 1 system at half the price?
Marco Lanciani

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2016, 01:14:40 »
Independent of the price you desire:

The faster lens of the DL18-50 retracts its elements to the internal space where the 1 Nikon has its mount.
You can't have both (interchangeable lens and a compact size).

rgds, Andy