Author Topic: Copenhagen Calling - Again  (Read 5312 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Copenhagen Calling - Again
« on: February 19, 2016, 18:46:24 »
Just now closing shop and setting off to Oslo Airport Gardermoen for a visit to Erik in Copenhagen. With me I bring a few Nikkors to chip, a defunct X-ray lens, and above all, a really nice sample of the famous Voigtländer 125 mm f/2.5 AP-Lanthar. The latter needs its CPU modification and for this particular lens, the task is daunting and Erik, my close Danish friend, is precisely the right man to get the job done. Erik told me he has a D7xxx ready to be IR-modified. 

We'll have lots of laughs, tell tall tales, Erik's Dremel will be buzzing, sparks will fly, ingenious solutions sought for the recalcitrant optics, and ample Danish food and drinks surely add to the overall enjoyment.

Until then, so long to all NG friends :D

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
Re: Copenhagen Calling - Again
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 19:29:15 »
I'm sure Copenhagen will answer the call.

And, i'm pretty sure as well that we'll see the trip documented in the odd picture here on the forums  8)
Hans Cremers

stenrasmussen

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 22:41:03 »
Another Viking rendezvous...pics please!

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 22:45:08 »
Enjoy your trip Bjørn!  ;D
-Tristin

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 23:14:34 »
Safe travels!
-/-/-

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 12:49:35 »
A rude awakening with a slight hang-over after sampling some Danish fluids last night, then finding the weather had turned nasty with strong wind and rain. Hardly conducive for our traditional round to the various photo shops downtown Copenhagen. We did a shortcut visit and got a few nice items, amongst them a "K" 35/2.8 Nikkor that I hope will do well in IR. I asked Erik in the shop whether he would be willing to AI-modify it and assume whatever movement I observed was a confirmation ....

Now, back to Erik's digs and ready to take on the first of many challenges. The APO-Lanthar looms large. Here in the initial stage with a snaps glass in front and mounting hardware.

We are all set to go.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 12:57:28 »
The promised sparks fly while Erik is cutting out the required seat for the contact block inside the bayonet mount.

Again, the NG community can follow ringside in near real time. The APO-Lanthar itself doesn't know it is now passing the point of *no* return ....

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 13:34:45 »
Now, drill holes for the retaining screws to the contact block and assemble the CPU. For this lens, a special form factor CPU is required to allow it to reside inside the block. The silver pins are inserted and the complete CPU is  ready to be seated into the bayonet mount.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 14:09:46 »
Sparks fly everywhere - Erik cuts down length of internal screws and makes room for the contact block within the aperture follower ring. This ring is fragile and should be handled with utmost care lest it bends out of true.

He is now very focused and mutters a lot to himself. Better to stay at safe distance and sip to the Aquavit accompanying our rye bread and herring for lunch.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 15:03:05 »
Let Erik have his peace and quiet for a while and he solves most problems. After some moments of black magic, the last parts of the APO-Lanthar are ready for the final assembly. The aperture follower hooks into the internal lever complex and frequently gets put wrongly when the lens is assembled.

Erik cradles the new-born APO-Lanthar in his mighty hands.

The 3-D puzzle of camera parts that once constituted a complete Df has been expertly put together by Erik and now serves as an exhibition model - now adorned with the CPU-modified Voigtländer 125 mm f/2.5 APO-Lanthar lens. As the keen reader will observe, Erik has already commenced the initial work on the "K" type Nikkor 35/3.8 we purchased cheaply earlier today, at the Photografica store (http://www.photografica.dk) downtown Copenhagen. It will be AI-converted and - goes without saying - CPU-modified later today.

FredCrowBear

• NG Supporter
  • Frederick V. Ramsey
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 15:22:52 »
Eric is a true artisan.  I always love to see detailed pictures of him at work!

Frederick V. Ramsey

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 15:35:57 »
From our visit to Photografica earlier today. Erik feels like a child in a candy store :D

They had a nice 17-35 that Erik told them was underpriced .... they should sell it for twice the asking price ... now, that is gentlemanly behaviour :D  Erik in a nutshell.

After purchasing a nice 35/2.8 'K' Nikkor and receiving a handful of shining red lens caps as a reward, we went on to the another 'candy' store, strangely named 'One of Many Cameras'. They had a near immaculate massive Pentax Super-Takumar 500 mm f/4.5 lens for a very low price (DKK 2000,-). Erik was very tempted, but politely refused the proposal.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 20:05:44 »
AI-conversion of the 35/2.8 'K' Nikkor went smoothly. However, the CPU chipping caused some concerns due to the complex internals of the bayonet mount itself. Trust Erik never to give up. Eventually the lens yielded and now joins the ever-growing file of CPU-modified F-mount optics.

Besides being an artisan in terms of technical modifications, Erik is also a master chef. We enjoyed a superb dinner. Now, more beer and attack on the two last remaining lenses for CPU-modifications. Erik is nearly finished with the tiny Nikon 28/2.8 SE while I'm writing this post ... Thereafter, a humble 28/3.5 is to be converted before we embark on modifying the D7000 camera for IR. Will be a long evening and no doubt lots of fun and laughs.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2016, 21:37:52 »
This final overview picture pretty much sums up the work of today. The reconstructed '3-D puzzle' manifests itself as an exhibition model Nikon Df, plus the CPU-modified lenses (125 mm f/2.5 APO-Lanthar, 28/2.8 SE, 35/2.8 'K' AI-mod, 85/1.8 'K' Nikkor AI-mod, 28/3.5 AI, E2-ring).

in the photo below, I actually captured the shadows caused by the flash on Erik's D200-IR - we literally pressed our release buttons simultaneously  !! This is synergy at NG Top Level.

A Hard Day's Work

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2016, 22:42:10 »
I love you guys!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen