Author Topic: Pentax / Ricoh K-1 36MPx with 135 Format sized sensor  (Read 19860 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: Pentax / Ricoh K-1 36MPx with 135 Format sized sensor
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2016, 22:20:54 »
Some cameras can imprint exif in between the exposures? I think i saw something like that before in a catalogue a long time ago  :o :o :o

bjornthun

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2016, 22:49:51 »
Some cameras can imprint exif in between the exposures? I think i saw something like that before in a catalogue a long time ago  :o :o :o
Databacks?  :D

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2016, 23:53:35 »
You could imprint date and a [very short] fixed text between the frames. Hardly what we understand by EXIF today ...

Yes, the F5 needed a special data back.

bjornthun

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2016, 02:14:45 »
I had a databack for the Nikon F801s, and that is the first and last databack I've ever owned. A far cry away from modern EXIF for sure.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2016, 02:19:51 »
yes, data backs. i was thinking of the term and was so sleepy that digital back is the one in my mind but thats for hasselblads  :o :o :o

the one that i saw is not for nikon (might be maxxum). i remember commenting to my friend that if he gets that camera then i dont have to jot down his exposure settings on the notebook and i am free to flirt with the models  ::)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CavQykgW1oc

tony's video. he's videos are OK but sometimes he doesnt have a clue about what he is talking about or is just confused presenting them. check it out.

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2016, 07:57:00 »
Here are some images to examine the effects of the pixel shifting feature.  I layered them in PS to toggle between at 100% and wow!  The difference is pretty amazing all over.  In some areas, like the red fabric, it is an immense improvement.  I hope this feature, along with the LEDs, make it into the newer Nikons!

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-1/ex/img/ex-pic05_off.jpg
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-1/ex/img/ex-pic05_on.jpg
-Tristin

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2016, 04:47:52 »
I am a rare bird around here.   

For my birds in flight, and fast action sports photography I use two Nikon D7100s.  These cameras with fast Nikkor telephotos are simply outstanding.

For my serious landscape/nature photography, I was an early adopter of the Pentax K3ii APS-C camera.  It was the first Pentax camera to come out with high resolution/pixel shift mode.  It must be used on a tripod, and can only be used if the subject does not move (even a gentle wind will result in ugly artifacts).  However, the K3ii 24mp camera (when used to shoot a motionless subject in the pixel shift mode) will produce images that rival the results obtained by a Nikon D810.

The new Pentax K1 full frame camera has an new updated version of pixel shift that is claimed to allow one to photograph objects that move!  This is truly revolutionary "if it works".  In the next month or two we'll all see comparisons of the Pentax K1 pixel shifted images to the D810 and even to medium format digital cameras.  If the new K1 version of high res pixel shift works as advertised, the K1 may just be the best landscape/macro/nature DSLR ever made.

Actually, I have nothing to complain about when it comes to lenses that I can use on the K1 full frame.  Pentax currently has about 80 lenses ( http://www.pentaxforums.com/lenssearch/?inproduction=0&format=ff&focusing%5B%5D=af ) that you can purchase new that are high quality and cover a full frame sensor.  Also, there are literally millions of old MF and autofocus older Pentax K mount lenses out there that will also fit and operate nicely on the new Pentax K1 full frame camera.  As for me, I'm a fan of manual focus, and already have purchased 5 Zeiss ZK lenses and 3 Voigtlander (Cosina) lenses that I intend to use on my K1 when it arrives in April or May.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2016, 04:55:41 »
going to cover CP+ and i hope that i get to see and molest this camera long enough to write a short review  :o :o :o it is going to be filled with old japanese grandpas again for sure  ::)

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2016, 05:24:18 »
Bruce, I well remember the splendid Pentax LX film SLR camera that came out not long after the also excellent Nikon F3.  I have always personally felt that the LX was superior to the F3, but the F3 had that slight market lead and it "took off".

I certainly wish the K-1 and Pentax/Ricoh every posible success.  High end competition in the 24x36mm/135 format sector will not only be great for Pentax shooters, but it will keep the pressure on Canikon & Sony to innovate and be competitive.

As an aside, it will be interesting to see how many existing Pentax 645D users also adopt the K-1.

I am a rare bird around here.   

For my birds in flight, and fast action sports photography I use two Nikon D7100s.  These cameras with fast Nikkor telephotos are simply outstanding.

For my serious landscape/nature photography, I was an early adopter of the Pentax K3ii APS-C camera.  It was the first Pentax camera to come out with high resolution/pixel shift mode.  It must be used on a tripod, and can only be used if the subject does not move (even a gentle wind will result in ugly artifacts).  However, the K3ii 24mp camera (when used to shoot a motionless subject in the pixel shift mode) will produce images that rival the results obtained by a Nikon D810.

The new Pentax K1 full frame camera has an new updated version of pixel shift that is claimed to allow one to photograph objects that move!  This is truly revolutionary "if it works".  In the next month or two we'll all see comparisons of the Pentax K1 pixel shifted images to the D810 and even to medium format digital cameras.  If the new K1 version of high res pixel shift works as advertised, the K1 will be the best landscape/macro/nature DSLR ever made.

Actually, I have nothing to complain about when it comes to lenses that I can use on the K1 full frame.  Pentax currently has about 30 lenses that you can purchase new that are high quality and cover a full frame sensor.  Me, I'm a fan of manual focus, and already have purchased 5 Zeiss ZK lenses and 2 Voigtlander lenses that I intend to use on my K1 when it arrives in April or May.

I shoot both Nikon and Pentax now.  I expect that in time some of you will too.
Hugh Gunn

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2016, 16:14:43 »
What lenses that have natural K mounts for Pentax are really sharp and well-corrected?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2016, 16:27:17 »
The Limited 31mm and 77mm f/1.8 lenses are generally highly regarded. My brother is a Pentax shooter and those are his most used lenses; however do not expect APO correction. They do cover full frame.
Øivind Tøien

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2016, 16:33:48 »
The Limited 31mm and 78mm f/1.8 lenses are generally highly regarded. My brother is a Pentax shooter and those are his most used lenses; however do not expect APO correction. They do cover full frame.

I wonder if there are any that are fast, sharp wide open, and well-corrected?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2016, 16:41:12 »

Correction, it should be FA 77mm f/1.8, fixed above.
Øivind Tøien

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2016, 18:56:06 »
Two small facts that i know:
1.  The Pentax M42 screw mount is adaptable(with correct infinity focus) to the K mount.  I had some of these back in
     the 1980's.
2.  In the first few years of the Zeiss ZF/ZE series lenses, they were also offered in K mount(ZK) and M42 mount(ZS).
     The list may include the 21/2.8, 25/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.4, 50/2 Macro, 85/1.4, and the 100/2.       
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA