Author Topic: Pentax / Ricoh K-1 36MPx with 135 Format sized sensor  (Read 19831 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Pentax / Ricoh K-1 36MPx with 135 Format sized sensor
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2016, 16:03:35 »
I think the point of using medium-format lenses is moot. They still are not native in the meaning that basic functions such as AF, aperture automation etc. will work. Why should the past be the hope for the future? It is fun to use exotic lenses on any camera, but for day-to-day bread & butter shooting, you need the seamless integration only native lenses can provide.

If anyone thinks I'm stating the opposite of what I have published for the Nikon Df with older Nikkors, rethink twice. Here the lens behaves exactly as it did when it was launched. The Df behaves like any Nikon SLR, but uses digital capture technology instead of film. Metering and automatic aperture just work like they did in the 'old' days. (If a CPU is added, even more features can be extracted for the benefit of the DSLR age, but these are mainly features of convenience rather than touching the basics. Film had no way of recording EXIF ...).

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2016, 16:15:13 »
I agree these huge 6x7 or even 4x5 lenses are not for mounting on the new K1 except for the fun of it, they where huge! ;)
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2016, 16:16:49 »
My point exactly. But of course, we are ever so often ready to enjoy all the fun we can get :D

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2016, 16:19:45 »
Lest anyone thinks otherwise, I really wish the new Pentax to be successful. We need an broadening of the playing field of top-drawer digital cameras.

Hopefully the third-party makes such as Sigma and Tamron will be able to retool and bring out fully K-1 compatible lenses from the various lens liens they already have in production.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2016, 16:35:13 »
Sorry for the off topic!
K1,,, I was already thinking how nice will the next upgraded version be,,, then shivers came from within,,, K2

'K2' the Savage Mountain in Karakoram, remote peaks between Pakistan, India and China where we have lost so many skilled climbers,,, back in the 80's where I was climbing a lot it was always frighting when news arrived from K2,,, :'( :'( :'( 1986 - 13 lost in one season
Erik Lund

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2016, 17:38:56 »
Voigtlander 125 comes in K-mount, right?
How long will they be available?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2016, 17:46:40 »
No idea how many of them were made, but the total must be severely limited. If I recall correctly, < 2000 were made in F mount. I assume the K version would be less frequent.

There is, however, always the circumvention method by using another Voigtländer in K-mount to serve as a mount host. Erik is an expert in this field.

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2016, 18:25:47 »
A huge point for me is battery life. With my Df I always carry 2 batteries and they are rated 1400 shots on the CIPA-test. The K-1 is rated 760 on the same test. It doesent sound very impressive, but I guess all the features suck the power out the batteries pretty fast.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2016, 18:31:26 »
After 2 years of using the Df, always a spare battery, the amount of shots on a single battery have significantly reduced.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2016, 19:00:04 »
Strange. My Df just happily purrs on and the battery apparently lasts forever. I do have spares though, as I usually combine Df with my IR-modified D5300, and the latter is really fond of eating batteries. (they both use EN-EL14a).

Still, the D5300 isn't king. The mirrorless Sony A7 is my worst battery consumer ever. Three freshly charged batteries might not keep the camera voracious appetite at bay for more than a day in the field.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2016, 19:13:05 »
This drains battery:

Live view
VR
AF and AFS
Chimping
Erik Lund

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2016, 20:21:49 »
Lenses are needed and perhaps the Pentax lens department has a number of lenses coming soon.
The new Pentax 15-30 is likely a remodeled Tamron 15-30 - specifications are very similar, same number of elements/groups. Haven't seen any optical schematics to confirm this however.

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2016, 22:11:32 »
Did no one notice the LEDs that can be used to light up the back of the camera or the one on the front lighting up the mount for lens changes in the dark?!?

That alone would be insanely handy for me.  I may just do some research on the focus screen options and F mount adapters for this camera, I could probably swap over from my D750 with minimal expenditure.  Will be keeping an eye on this camera for sure.
-Tristin

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2016, 22:17:44 »
A sure-fire method of showing any shy subject where you are ....

Using Nikkors on a Pentax will hardly provide you with full automatic functionality?

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2016, 22:20:49 »
Not an issue I would be running into.  Fumbling with lenses in the dark I have many times however.  I carry a headlight with me typically, but would sure be nice to not need to put it on just to change lenses.  IBIS would be fantastic as well.

While I love Nikkor lenses, I am a nomad when it comes to bodies.  If my Nikkors can work on it, I'm game.  Having IS for them would fantastic.
-Tristin