Author Topic: Pentax / Ricoh K-1 36MPx with 135 Format sized sensor  (Read 19823 times)

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
Re: Pentax / Ricoh K-1 36MPx with 135 Format sized sensor
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 12:01:23 »
The Pentax 6x7 was very big indeed, very nice and truly unique.

I still have fond memories of my first SLR, an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic F. It had a M42 screw-thread lens mount with a nifty construction to enable open-aperture metering and it came with a rather good 55mm F/1.8 Takumar. After the acquisition of a Nikon FE in 1979 however I sold it and never felt the need to look back.

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 12:02:47 »
I think Pentax crowd is healthier than Nikon's... nobody is whining/complaining about 36MB, as everybody did when D800/810 saw the light

Also skeptical about all moving parts...

stenrasmussen

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 12:04:31 »
Additional info pages:
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-1/feature/

Reading through these pages it certainly seems like a VERY thought through camera. I like what I see.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 12:22:24 »
The explanation of how moiré is "prevented" is a pipe dream. Interpolation does not create moiré, it is caused by insufficient resolution. A slight blurring does help, but then there has to be some loss of resoulution. There is no free lunch even in the Pentax world.

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 12:25:34 »
All this features seem to be innovated for the jpeg-shooter. This pixel shift feature can be saved as a RAW-file and "DEVELOPED IN CAMERA". Who does that? Seems like a fine camera though. Always liked the feel of a Pentax in the hand. If the files are as nice as the 645z RAW-files, everything is just pure joy :)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2016, 12:33:18 »
Apparently there are almost no native lenses available that also allows the entire 24x36 frame to be used. Mounting the APS-C lenses will switch the camera into APS-C mode, meaning over half of those 36 MPix aren't used at all. All you get is 15 MPix ...

bjornthun

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2016, 12:49:08 »
Apart from the lack of an EVF it looks like a very nice camera. Built in image stabilizer looks very useful. Pentax has shown an ability to make nice primes before without making them oversized. Now they need to do that once more!

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2016, 12:58:32 »
I think the more prudent approach would be to have a selection of lenses first before launching the camera that really needs them .... The Pentax development team certainly has a massive challenge ahead to address and solve quickly if the new camera is going to be successful.

At least Pentax has an optical illustrious past thus we probably won't see a repetition of the Sony labours here.

stenrasmussen

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2016, 13:05:23 »
Lenses are needed and perhaps the Pentax lens department has a number of lenses coming soon. All in all I'd say it's good to see good ol' Pentax back in the "full estate" game.
What they can brag about is build quality...they are at least as tough as Canikon's offerings. They even rate their cameras to -10°C which the others keep a 0°C low limit.

bjornthun

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2016, 13:30:11 »
Olympus also rate the OM-D E-M1 at -10 C.

Pentax, Sony and Olympus has used IBIS for several year now, so that should be a proven technology by now.

Pentax K-1 is the first full frame camera to offer pixel shift, to achieve full RGB readout in raw. This is a feature previously used by Olympus and in medium format backs to counter moire. Since this feature requires a multi shot approach and repeated cycling of flash units, it is useful in a studio only. It helps avoid Bayer atifacts for photography of fabrics and for repro work.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2016, 13:33:51 »
I wonder if their: Pixel Shift Resolution System can produce a short-cut route to amazing B&W images,,,

Reinforced with the SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism, the K-1’s Pixel Shift Resolution System* captures four images of the same scene by shifting the image sensor by a single pixel for each image, then synthesizes them into a single
Erik Lund

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2016, 13:37:27 »
i am guessing that it's the same as how modern nikons can support ai-d nikkors  :o :o :o

looking at the image, it does seem that the overall schematics is not too different from the F mount apart from the positioning of the parts.

this looks very promising. i hope that pentax gets it right this time and rise again. i have always loved pentax but company and brand stability has always turned me off. their support is also not as good as nikon from where I came from. will i buy one? not sure. but the takumars are selling from $5 each over here and some of the older takumars are pretty good themselves. i always love the underdog.

Likely there is going to be the same mechanical/electronic limitations as for their APS-C bodies. A number of lenses are going to cover the whole frame, most noteworthy the famous limited lenses, which are fully compatible although with screw drive focusing.

Chipping older Pentax lenses looks a lot more challenging though as the contacts are protruding through holes in the mount. Image of mount down on this page:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k3/pentax-k3TECH.HTM
The question then becomes if whole mounts with contacts can be purchased, and be transplanted to the older K-mount lenses.

Some older nikon lenses are known to mount (upside down!) on some of the APS Pentax bodies, the mechanical design of the mount itself is that similar.  I assume that can be a risky business if one does not know what one are doing. As I recall they may then meter in stop down mode.
Øivind Tøien

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2016, 13:49:21 »
Later Pentax APS bodies also have the innovative Astrotracer feature that are meant to replace the equatorial small trackers - works by combining advanced GPS/compass features with sensor shifts. http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/review/pentax-astrotracer-review-astrophotography-made-easier/. I have seen examples/reports that it works quite well, if not at the levels one can get out of the best portable trackers.
Øivind Tøien

bjornthun

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2016, 14:45:57 »
This camera should also work with Pentax's library of 645 and 6x7 medium format lenses.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2016, 15:33:46 »
Indeed, I had the SMC 67 400mm f/4 ED IF what a monster! 3.700 kg waht a fantastic lens,,, on film
Erik Lund