Author Topic: A question for all of our Lens Gurus  (Read 2762 times)

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
A question for all of our Lens Gurus
« on: February 10, 2016, 05:14:51 »
 :) .  I've just received the new Commlite adapter for using Nikon AFS lenses on the Sony a7II.   The adapter does work but.... on many of the lenses the motor is 'cycling'/hunting anywhere from once/twice to five/six times and a couple of lenses the hunting is even worse.   The 105 2.8 vr Macro never really locks (or just a random lock).

I have a feeling that, in the long term, this is not good for the motors.  I do not know how much of a roll the battery of the Sony plays in this.  Supposedly Commlite is coming out with a firmware 3 to solve the problem.

Using the Nikons is a good thing but I do not 'need' to use them on the Sony and I absolutely need some of them on my Nikons.

Is my concern warranted?  The one very pleasant surprise is that the adapter does transmit full EXIf, even on the 85 1.4D, 180 28D and DC105 f2D  ;D
This may be stupid question # ..... lost count  ;)
Many thanks,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: A question for all of our Lens Gurus
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 08:00:46 »
A Nikon AF camera can determine and predict how much it must run the motor to reach sharpness, this is calculated from information on the actual lens on the camera, stored in the CPU.

The 105mm VR can also give a Nikon camera a hard time locking on, when contrast is low or in bad light.

The motor and gear box where that apply are a parts with a limited lifespan, so they will be in for replacement at some point in time,,, Nikon cameras, for that reason only lets the lens try one time to focus or it stops until you 'reload' let go of the shutter button and try again

It looks like the adapter and Sony camera needs a lot of fine tuning in firmware to better this,,,
Erik Lund

Hermann

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 19:40:58 »
The motor and gear box where that apply are a parts with a limited lifespan, so they will be in for replacement at some point in time,,, Nikon cameras, for that reason only lets the lens try one time to focus or it stops until you 'reload' let go of the shutter button and try again

A local bird photographer is on the third motor in his AF-S 300mm/f4. Sure, he uses the lens almost every day, but I still find that surprising. He uses the lens exclusively on Nikon bodies, so there's no question of him wearing the motors out on some fancy adapter.

Hermann

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 19:53:37 »
His 300mm AFS f/4 could be from year 2000 that's about 15 years of use not surprising the AFS moter gave up a couple of times if that's his main lens - I have an 28-70 AFS just died, same vintage, around 1999 or 2000
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 20:28:09 »
Longevity of a manual lens, any make, will always be better than AF/AFS lenses. A fact of life ignored by all advertisers and that most users turn a blind eye at.

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 23:17:01 »
His 300mm AFS f/4 could be from year 2000 that's about 15 years of use not surprising the AFS moter gave up a couple of times if that's his main lens - I have an 28-70 AFS just died, same vintage, around 1999 or 2000

Hi Eric
Is the motor on the AFS 300mm f4 easy to change? Mine died after not using it for 18months and Nikon Australia want almost what I paid for it to repair. It's not great on manual focus as the throws are too small

TIA

JJ

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 23:32:48 »
Basically the motor is wrapped around the central part of the lens so it's more or less a total rebuild, too many hours and the risk of damage to some vital parts are eminent,,, then re-calibration on their optical bench,,,
Erik Lund

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 06:48:48 »
Hi Eric
Is the motor on the AFS 300mm f4 easy to change? Mine died after not using it for 18months and Nikon Australia want almost what I paid for it to repair. It's not great on manual focus as the throws are too small

TIA

JJ
It dies from use, it dies from non-use.  I also observe that the manual focus action is poor.  It has that rubbery clutch feel that the AF-S 70-200VR2 has.  If I was wealthy I'd have it rehoused in a correctly designed manual focus barrel.
That 300/4.5 Ais ED-IF looks better and better.  If I get another one, it'll be my fourth copy in 30 years.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 08:31:31 »
For sure I would recommend to replace it with the 300mm PF or yes just get the old 300mm 4.5 Ais ED IF or non-IF,,, ;) Software today is soo good at correcting CA
Never felt anything wrong with the 70-200 AFS VR lenses,,, maybe I didn't pay attention since I use AF mostly,,,  ::)
Erik Lund

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 11:54:44 »
A Nikon AF camera can determine and predict how much it must run the motor to reach sharpness, this is calculated from information on the actual lens on the camera, stored in the CPU.

The 105mm VR can also give a Nikon camera a hard time locking on, when contrast is low or in bad light.

It looks like the adapter and Sony camera needs a lot of fine tuning in firmware to better this,,,
Yup, the adapter needs another Firmware.  I've gone through most of my AFS lenses now.   There are several that AF immediately.  Both Sigma Arts, the 85 1.8G, 24-70 2.8,and surprisingly, the 16-35 f4Gvr.  Fortunately the 24-120 f4Gvr is very close.  I'm disappointed with the 58 1.4G and the 70-200 f4Gvr, both of which I would use with the Sony.

I have not tried the long lenses yet but had decided to hold off using the ones that hunt until the FW3 is out.  Then try again.

Any time I've had a Nikon hunt I normally immediately shift to a different target. Next is to check to make sure the lens is locked (probably re-seat) then the settings on the lens, then the play in the mount (particularly with TC) .  If all fails, clean contacts.  After that leave it for a day , try again and then send to Nikon.  I've had the afs 300 f4 to Nikon twice and the motor in the 500 vr had to be replaced.

Cheers,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 00:02:49 »
I probably have to get this adapter sooner or later if I hold onto the Sony A7 purchased earlier for experimental purposes. For me it would suffice to have EXIF relayed correctly. The candidate Nikkors for the camera would be manual AI/AIS lenses with CPU anyway so AF issues are of no consequence.

Anyone having information as to future availability of the Commlite adapter? The eBay seller says it is unavailable at present.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 03:43:48 »
Seems that many of the Chinese vendors shut down over the New Year.  The Commlite site has been unavailable for a week.   Interesting that when they are available it is only in small quantities.    I would expect they will be available after the 14th /15th of the month.  Commlite did tell another early adopter that they are working on the FW3.

I have not tried any of my non-CPU Ais/Ai on the adapter yet to see if there is a difference between it and the Novoflex I've been using. The Techart Leica M to Sony AF is very interesting to me but , as with you, for the communication more than the AF.   I still have not seen anyone reporting on a new Nikon E using the Commlite.

Over the years I've bought 20 , or so, items from this company:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172076070737?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
They seem to be faster on delivery time than most HK vendors and I have yet to be charged Duty  ;D
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India