Author Topic: Anyone know any fast 50s with a flat field?  (Read 8643 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: Anyone know any fast 50s with a flat field?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 09:22:38 »
the otus is expensive for a reason  :o :o :o

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 22:18:49 »
Airy, it is not that I shoot flat subjects.  It's that I find curved focus fields at wide aperatures quite nauseating in appearance.  You do not need flat subjects to see this, it makes the bokeh induce a look of smeary distortion to the scene that I label "barfy".  When doing close portraits it is not noticeable or an issue.  At other ranges though, it is extremely noticeable.

-Tristin

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 23:12:09 »
I have both the Zeiss Makro and Otus. Even as well corrected as the Otus is, it still has a bit of curvature wide open. ACR lens correction will take care of it.

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 23:22:11 »
Software can correct for image distortion, but no software will ever be able to correct bokeh distorted by field curvature.  That is my issue with field curvature.

It can be used to fantastic effect, Wilheim posted a wedding picture of a couple he took with the 58mm f/1.4g where the exact effect I tend to dislike caused lights behind the couple to warp and give a snowglobe effect to the picture.  Quite beautiful.  I fend it offensive often though.

John, how is the curvature of the Makro at moderately close ranges, say 4 meters?
-Tristin

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 07:08:28 »
Tristin, I have the ZF 50/2.  It has some coma showing in the outer third of the image area when wide open, but as with many Zeiss lenses, the blurring is a made a touch less objectionable by maintaining contrast if not resolution.  I don't remember if it shows what Bjørn calls the 'cateye' effect.
I think Leica specializes in lenses(the M series) that appear not to show optical aberrations when used wide open.  They actually do have all the usual aberrations, but they design the optics to minimize the effects you are observing.

Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2016, 07:16:47 »
I have no objections with coma wide open, as I shoot nightscapes on a tripod stopped down.  Nor do I have objections with spherical aberrations, which I find very endearing for portraits.  It's the curved focus field that warps bokeh that I would love to get rid of.

I'm beginning to accept that I am right in thinking that there are no ~50s faster than /2 that solve this issue.  :'(
-Tristin

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2016, 07:58:57 »
while waiting for the 50mm f/1.2 from nikon, i will try and test all the 50's that i have just for heck of it.  :o :o :o

anyway, for the mean time this is what i get from the 50 ART wide open. i mosaic'd my wife and baby for their privacy  ::)

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2016, 08:14:10 »
I very much appreciate the efforts Richard, I would not have expected someone to go to such lengths for me deliberately.  Though I will say that the image you posted is too close to judge what I am speaking of.  I will shoot an image soon that shows what I speak of, as replies are making it clear that there is a good amount of confusion on the issue itself.  Which I am sure has much to do with my explanation not being sufficient.

On a side note, the image you posted of your wife, and child (whom I cannot make out through the mosaic), is quite interesting.  The bokeh'd city and digitalized, and de-personalized, individuals feels like a strong commentary on our modern international community.  A chance treasure happened upon a thread of the musings of lens nerds.  Thank you, and great image! 😃
-Tristin

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2016, 08:19:01 »
I very much appreciate the efforts Richard, I would not have expected someone to go to such lengths for me deliberately.  Though I will say that the image you posted is too close to judge what I am speaking of.  I will shoot an image soon that shows what I speak of, as replies are making it clear that there is a good amount of confusion on the issue itself.  Which I am sure has much to do with my explanation not being sufficient.

On a side note, the image you posted of your wife, and child (whom I cannot make out through the mosaic), is quite interesting.  The bokeh'd city and digitalized, and de-personalized, individuals feels like a strong commentary on our modern international community.  A chance treasure happened upon a thread of the musings of lens nerds.  Thank you, and great image! 😃

that's OK. I am just curious. I do understand what you want it's just that this is the only thing that I have at the moment  :o :o :o

some videographers that i had worked with hate that field curvature by the way.

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2016, 08:33:04 »
I can't blame them!  Obviously.
-Tristin

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2016, 08:42:05 »
it is trippy. it is OK for certain things but it can get really dizzy for a long time.  :o :o :o

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2016, 08:45:59 »
Now I find myself often irritated with the field curvature of the 50mm f/1.2 Ai-s.  While it doesnt always effect my pictures negatively,  I often find the curvature removing the option of shooting faster than f/2 because the curvature can induce nauseating results.
Can you post any images showing the effects you dislike? Might help with the discussion...

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2016, 09:16:11 »
Here is a portrait done with a 50 f1,2 Ais, full opening. In my opinion it renders the background ok and curvature of the lens actually helps to keep things in focus thas is not perfecly alligned with the lens. But I am not a feinshmecker when it comes to lenses and their behaviour.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2016, 09:48:46 »
Give the latest 50/1.4 Nikkor a try. It is pretty flat field compared to other fast normal Nikkors.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2016, 10:22:31 »
Give the latest 50/1.4 Nikkor a try. It is pretty flat field compared to other fast normal Nikkors.

I had the 1.4/50G before I bought the 1.8/50G. The 1.8 is much better in EVERY respect esp. all geometrical aspects.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/