Author Topic: Obvious sunflowers  (Read 3930 times)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Obvious sunflowers
« on: February 06, 2016, 13:42:44 »
Today I read something about "don´t run away from the obvious or cliches" so there you go: In the way from south Spain to Madrid. A stop on the road. Nikon d60 from work.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Obvious sunflowers
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 14:02:19 »
I always find monocultures highly irritating. Like a work of art, Ai Wei Wei style.

The repetition pattern might appeal to our tendency to have "order" in nature, but what happens underground is the death of an Ecosytem that could feed us, provide us with clean air and water and offer continued free services for the generations to come.

In this sense your picture is a wonderful rendition of this "landscape sculpture" and a record of the absurdity and deviation of our current agri-Culture (agri for "aggression" maybe?)
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 14:36:22 »
Paco, these are adorable! I would have spent hours there!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 14:52:40 »
wow.. very impressive.. i have never seen so many.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 15:30:47 »
I love the image Paco and would really like to have been there.

Frank, I sympathise with your comment and your reasoning. However it's also present in pretty much every field of "modern western agriculture". Perhaps it just isn't so obvious when it's many hectares of maize, wheat or even grass for grazing animals?

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 15:53:24 »
Yes. Modern "green revolution" agriculture based on the science of Justus von Liebig and his followers comes to an end because it cannot be sustained. 10 Energy Units of Diesel for one Energy Unit of food. No Way.

In the sense of the Becher Photo School it is VERY important now to take pictures of the monocultural landscapes as they exist now at the high time of their presence just before their fall.

It is technology of yesterday because it contributes significantly to climate change (water,  carbon & mineral cycle) and has a very bad cost/benefit relation for the farmers. The split of profit is such that the chemical industry earns and the farmer suffers.

Gabe Brown, a "green revolution 2.0" farmer, has shown that on his biodiverse field maize can be grown for 1.44US$ per bushel while the costs his neighbours bare in their monoculture are 4.00US$ per bushel. The secret behind it is, that in a biodiverse culture nature does the work, more photosynthesis is conducted, more sun power and water is sequestered and carbon in the form of soil microorganisms.

PACO: love your work. keep going!

Further information: http://amazingcarbon.com/ and http://brownsranch.us/ and http://savory.global/ and of course my blog (see signature)
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 16:21:58 »
Quite surreal - great photography.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 17:02:03 »
Interesting Frank. I would have thought that mono-agriculture will bring down costs and simplify matters. It not the first time I´m wrong this days...

Driving from somewhere in south Spain -probably El Puerto de Santa María- going back to Madrid after a weekend of hard work. Field after field on the sides of the roads filled with sunflowers. I had to stop and document. It was oneiric and surreal specially once you step in. I just learned there are many all around Spain. Evil, good, productive or not, the view is very intense.
  We spend some time in the bar on the other side of the road :)

There are projects of series of photos right there that have never happened. Yet.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 20:14:33 »
I love Spanish coffee. While hitch hiking from Gemany to Grenada and back (a while ago) I found the coffee got better and better the more I came South. French Coffee is not bad, but the best Spanish brew is something terrificly bitter but smooth and chewable at the same time. WOW!

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 21:13:17 »
My preferred is the second.  It feels as if they are coming to get me.  Day of the Triffids.
Anthony Macaulay

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 21:26:24 »
Yet another vote for #2: the fractal pattern of the nature is enhanced beautifully.

Frank's notion makes sense.  One of major causes of our pollen allergy in the metropolis area here is that people planted conifer trees in the surrounding mountains for the architectural materials.  Stupid idea!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Lowell

• NG Member
  • Fascinated by photography
    • lowell harris photography
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 21:30:12 »
Paco,

I like these photos a lot.  I might say, I have never seen so many backlit flowers and its that back lighting of these yellow petaled flowers combined with the darker core that is so attractive to me.
Lowell Harris

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 22:05:46 »
.....One of major causes of our pollen allergy in the metropolis area here is that people planted conifer trees in the surrounding mountains for the architectural materials.  Stupid idea!

Conifers produce large-sized pollen grains that usually are too big to cause allergies. But transforming the landscape into monocultures is an ecologically unfriendly and thereby short-sighted idea, in that we both agree.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 23:33:29 »
Thank you all for the comments.

Since the images look like they are getting closer and I also like the backlighted petals, lets try two birds with one stone: backlight and closer keeping the common elements of the series.
   I found that this particular field is alreada in the province of Córdoba, not that far from Granada.
   I also like spanish coffee. Maybe a little too much   ::)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 01:00:05 »
These are real beauties, Paco.  I prefer the first one, impressive balanced overview with delicious colours.