Author Topic: Sunshade - on trip DIY  (Read 2811 times)

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
Sunshade - on trip DIY
« on: January 29, 2016, 23:02:12 »
I'd like to share a simple way of making a temporary lens hood.

Summer 2015 offered the opportunity for a vacation trip for that I brought a newly aquired 50-135 f/3.5 AI-s Nikkor zoom lens.
After a few days I found that this usefull and versatile lens earned itself a ranking on my 'like & use' list.
Using it more and more it became obvious that under certain conditions a lens hood was significantly missing.

Sharing other lenses lens hoods wasn't an oppurtunity,- they were either of the bayonet type or of mismatching diameter.

Savoring a delicious greek yoghurt one moring the idea developed to give a second life to it's cup.
[image 1]

A few minutes worth of knife work allowed a 62mm to 77mm step up ring to tightly fit the plastic cup.
[image 2]

Duct tape equals a modern outdoor repair facility in a roll - and it is usable as production glue and paint at the same time
[image 3]

The cup curvature could only be matched by glueing a number of little duct tape snippets.
Resulting of this effort was a nicely blackened lens hood,
which, from a little distance, looks professional as in 'used by professionals as a tool'.
[image 4]

Actually this was considered a makeshift solution... as is often seen with these it's still in use due to it's convincing functionality.

-/-/-

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Sunshade - on trip DIY
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 23:37:50 »
Hm. Not bad. Only have to remember eating the yoghurt first :)

The 50-135 is a bit tricky to find a good lens hood for. The factory hood HK-10 is elusive and you'll find it an expensive joke if you manage to track it down. HN-23 is slightly too long,  but  HN-24 will just clear then corners if you don't put  a filter on the 50-135.

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 04:59:36 »
Excellent work.  You're right...it looks "professional."
The clock is now ticking.... until the duct tape adhesive gives out.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 09:21:47 »
Also a timely reminder about the usefulness of having all kinds of rings (step up/down, etc.) available for the odd job.

stenrasmussen

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 09:31:40 »
Excellent demo of "take what you got".

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 10:23:34 »
Hm. Not bad. Only have to remember eating the yoghurt first :)

The 50-135 is a bit tricky to find a good lens hood for. The factory hood HK-10 is elusive and you'll find it an expensive joke if you manage to track it down. HN-23 is slightly too long,  but  HN-24 will just clear then corners if you don't put  a filter on the 50-135.

Thank you, Bjørn. I own a HN-23 which I use with a step up with the 50 f/1.2 if I need a deep hood for weather protection or such.
Will try to fetch a HN-24. Fortunately the adhesive is still sticking well.
-/-/-

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 10:42:55 »
Very creative !!.  I have a kind of third party metal HN-24. Works perfect with this lens.