Author Topic: Changing Camera System  (Read 15281 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Changing Camera System
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 14:02:13 »
Nice travel images but to be honest I think they are well below what Mike is aiming for... Focus seems to be hit and miss and all are a bit dark.
Erik Lund

stenrasmussen

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 14:29:37 »
Anthony old chap you rich people are always the same.  ;)

Sten what about the wide end?

24mm wide is ok for indoor theatre/stage shooting. But if so needed I'd easily press the Sigma 18-35 into service. The added speed of f/1.8 won't hurt either.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 14:57:02 »
I have had Nikons and now I have a Fuji X-T1 with several lenses (Sammy 12/2, 14/2.8, 23/1.4, 35/1.4 18-55, 18-135).
Overall I like the system a lot.
My main reason for switching was weight (important in my use, I hike with the camera) and no proper DSLR replacements for the D700 (when I switched; now I see many interesting options).
The latest options for Nikon (D5 and D500) are very interesting and if money were absolutely no item for me I would get them, just for the pleasure and not because I would use them a lot.
The main weakness of Fuji for me is continuous AF. Coming from P&S or most MILC's (except the "bestest") AF may seem good or even very good, but to be honest tracking is not on par with what I was used to.
I do miss quite a lot of action shots; having said that this is not my main application and I can live with it.
For landscape photos I have no problems, and street should be ok too.

The other gap is long glass.
I don't know how important this is to you; I have never been overly excited about the 55-200 (80-300 equivalent) because it is said that AF is slow and reach is not anything to write home about.
For this kind of zoom the aperture is pretty wide though and optically people speak well of it.
Many people love the 50-140, it is fast, AF is quick and IQ top notch, but I have never been interested in fast 70-200 equivalents. Plus it is on the heavy side.
Then there is the new 100-400. Obviously the weight is considerable, although in comparison to its peers relatively light. At the long end it is only f/5.6.
Simone Tomasi

Mike G

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 15:06:00 »
For me long glass is not a priority although I have the Nikkor 300mm PF, it doesn't get a lot of use. For me the wide end is more important by far so the 10-24 Fuji will be a must I think! I have yet to see a long zoom at the cheap end of the market that is any good, always too many compromises!

stenrasmussen

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 15:17:57 »
For me long glass is not a priority although I have the Nikkor 300mm PF, it doesn't get a lot of use. For me the wide end is more important by far so the 10-24 Fuji will be a must I think! I have yet to see a long zoom at the cheap end of the market that is any good, always too many compromises!

When the Fierce man tried my 10-24 a while back I believe he liked it...as opposed to the 56. I happen to like both very much.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 15:38:46 »
If 14mm is wide enough then there is the cute XF 14mm F/2.8. Very small, light, sharp over the whole frame, a very nice lens that blends very well with the X-T1.

John Koerner

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 16:03:29 »
I am moving from Canon gear to Nikon.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 16:28:22 »
I am moving from Canon gear to Nikon.

Welcome! I did exactly that in 1989 ;) Never looked back...
Erik Lund

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 16:36:42 »
Okay here's a word from a Fuji Fanboy ...

Mike, for me all the different manufactures no longer matter. Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Pentax, Sony, Panasonic ... for what I shoot and how I shoot ... the camera body no longer matters.  Again, for my tastes and in general, what I shoot and how I shoot, there isn't a significant difference in IQ between a modern FF, a modern APS-C and a modern MFT that will change the level of success of my images. (Of course there are always exceptions ... but I am speaking in generalities.)

I had this epiphany last week when I was walking around my camera store, thinking about all my images, my stuff and I realized that I pretty much captured the same level of photographic impact, the same level of success with my FF system, as with my MFT system, as with my APS-C system.

My experience is that at ISO 1600 and under, up to a 11x14 or 16x20, you won't see a significant difference between a 16mp sensor, a 24mp sensor or a 36mp sensor. If you need a computer to see a difference ... then that's no difference at all in my book. (For what I shoot and how I shoot a little more dynamic range, a little less noise, et cetera ... doesn't matter.) For me, after a certain baseline of IQ, the need for more/better IQ starts dropping like a lead balloon ... it is all about image impact. It is the composition, subject, perspective, lighting, exposure ... the matching of what I captured to my previsualized image, is what matters the most. (Now if I shot a lot of landscapes, architecture, commercial/studio, tripod stuff, I may have different thoughts.)  But for the most part, I shoot people, people doing stuff, people in their natural environs, Street people, active people, people performing ... for me the whole world is a stage.

I've lugged around bags of Nikon film stuff, motor driven F's, FTn's, F2's and F3's around the world, through swamps, jungles, tundra, deserts, mountains, big cities, godforsaken rural areas ... (Hell, I've even slept with them), ... and I never complained once on size or weight. To me it is what it is ... if that is what I have to haul around to get the job done ... well, and again, it is what it is ... all part of the job. When I went digital, I went Canon and ended up with 1D's ... big ugly, heavy suckers.  Again, I took them everywhere. My thoughts were, if there is a picturing worth taking, a moment worth capturing ... I don't want to compromise the capture with a substandard image/camera. dSLR's are still better for sports/extreme action. But the more I use mirrorless, the better I am harmonizing with the AF, the higher I am getting on the learning curve and the better I am getting at shooting action. With action, I am working harder and I am getting less keepers with mirrorless, but I am getting enough good stuff that I am not switching back to my 1D's. (And like Sten, I shoot a lot of theatre performances and I find my XT1's to be easily up to that task. But we all see differently, we all shoot differently and after viewing Sten's images, I suspect Sten has a higher bar and expectations for his images than I for mine.)

But, (the big but), time marches on and forward. These modern digital cameras All take one hell of a picture. Fuji is good... no ... Fuji is great, but so is Nikon and so is Canon and so is Olympus, et al. 

For me, there are two things that matter, the system behind the camera: are there the quality lenses to do what I need to have done and IQ: I need the IQ to be sufficiently high to communicate without being overly distracting. Comfort, how the camera feels, where the button and dials are ... isn't important to me. Most/all modern cameras are designed to the average human hand and over time I can adapt. Fuji is still light on lenses, especially long and fast.  But all the XF lenses are exceptional, and at a minimum, equal to my 'L' lenses. As for IQ, see above, in the early days of digital IQ was important and there were significant differences between cameras, but I really don't see that anymore.

But above all, what does matter is that you shoot. While weight and size is a secondary consideration for me, I certainly do appreciate the smaller size of mirrorless systems. The faster Fujinon APS-C lenses are large and heavy, but they are still significantly smaller than an equivalent FF dSLR system.

PS- I dunno if you can return the XT1, but if it were moi, I'd give serious consideration for waiting a weeks for the launch of Fuji's latest and greatest camera, the X-Pro2.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Mike G

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2016, 16:47:41 »
Erik I reckon I moved from Canon to Nikon about the same time.

Mike G

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2016, 16:59:41 »
Gary, thanks for that. I think I have to agree with you almost 100%. I too think the way forward is for mirrorless systems and from what i have seen the IQ is just as good after all the D5 is only 20 MP it works well enough for it!
The X-T1 is a stop gap probably until the X-T2 is released which going by the X-Pro2 is going to be 24 MP. If I decide to embrace the Fuji the X-T1will serve well as a second body or I can trade it in! In the meantime is a tool for learning!

Like you I don't decry the the Nikons and Canons of this world, but the expense and size of these behemoths is beginning to get to be too much, especially the glassware!

Thanks again for your post, I just hope I can live up to expectations???

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 17:25:20 »
I still have a complete FF system and a complete MFT system, but I have evolved completely to shooting Fuji. Remember that mirrorless is different than dSLR.  Not necessarily different good or different bad, just different. I had a difficult time adjusting to mirrorless, especially the AF. It was soooo frustrating ... but I stuck with it and learned and adapted. The 18-55 is the best kit lens I've ever used. For many photogs, the ability to shoot with all types of glass via adaptors is a big plus. If you want to try out some different lenses, give me a PM, (to make sure I'm home) and drop on by.

Good Luck and Good Shooting.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2016, 18:34:44 »
For many photogs, the ability to shoot with all types of glass via adaptors is a big plus.
A BIG plus in my case :)

What ever happens in the tele department (probably a D500) I expect a mirrorless camera will always be in my bag for the short lenses I can cherrypick from each brand, what that mirrorless camera will be depends highly on what suits my needs best at the time.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2016, 18:57:44 »
I very much support JJ's point and do that explicitly because I
have seen your pictures over many years. The current one inch
cameras, like the X30 from Fuji or the ONE series from Nikon have
a lot to offer for your style of shooting.

Plus: you can buy one of these by just selling one of the the lenses you do not
use. Downgrade. Make it easier and lighter and concentrate on the
stuff you really use.

To go the Fuji way means a lot of learning. I needed one year to
half ways understand the post production of Xtrans Files.

In your case I would recommend to stay in the Bayer Camp.

If you love the current 24/120 Zoom you might get lighter by simply
using a D750 instead of a D810. I feel the 24MP chip to also be more
forgiving, nicer in tonality, better in low light.

So.

My guess is MikeG will be happiest with a reduced Nikon set plus
a high end One Inch Point and Shoot. Best of both worlds.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Mike G

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2016, 18:59:29 »
J-A you certainly seem to be the lens adapter king!

What you say about the tele department is true and I'm in a bit of a quandary as to wether to keep a Nikon body and long lens(D810, 300mm, f4 PF), but instinct tells me to mirrorless. I'm not a very good photographer but I really do like the process i.e. enjoyable fun, to me that is what a hobby is and in the process I get to talk to lovely people on NG and FZ!